New Scarpa SL

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

New Scarpa SL

Postby Ent » Mon 27 Apr, 2009 10:19 am

Content removed by poster
Last edited by Ent on Thu 11 Nov, 2010 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: New Scarpa SL

Postby stu » Mon 27 Apr, 2009 11:23 am

Hi Brett,

I am on to my second pair of the 'new' SL M3's & have been very happy with both pairs (I haven't walked in older versions so cannot make a comparison).
The last pair only lasted a bit over a year, but that year I walked every weekend, sometimes both days + numerous extended trips on & off track- I am pretty hard on my gear.
I found this model takes no break-in period (for both pairs), I have suffered no blisters & have found the ankle design to be both flexible & supportive.
The first pair eventually failed due to rub holes breaking through the leather on the outer side (from foot jamming in rock / boulder scree mostly), I saw this as fair wear & tear & not a design fault (no de-stitching anywhere on either pair).
The only short coming was both pairs have peeled away at the toe where the rubber meets the leather, not such a huge issue as they have only de-laminated here & not from the sole itself, still a little annoying tho.
The sole design is still IMHO one of the best out there as it is still one piece & has none of the overly designed / trendy bits & pieces / stick-ons that other manufacturers seem to insist on in their sole design (eg. Raichles).
Before switching to these I was having a lot of knee problems / tweaks in my less supportive Scarpa Treks; switching to this heavier model I have not had a knee problem since a believe they increase support to the entire leg, or at the least the knees.
I will probably continue to use this model in the immediate future, tho would like to try other models / brands to make a comparison.

Cheers
Stu B.
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tasadam » Mon 27 Apr, 2009 12:10 pm

Brett wrote:I am alone in my thoughts to be labelled a traditionalist not accepting new ideas or have Scarpa got it wrong by "compromising" a classic to make it seem more trendier?

Firstly, thanks for making this topic - nothing like keeping things topical (though now we need to move SL topics to this topic - a good thing)

No you are not alone. I am also concerned about the changes. I must go and have another look at these boots - it's been a few months since I saw the "new" pair.
I think Scarpa are losing the plot. The least they should do is offer an explanation of the changes. Why it's better. If it makes them cheaper (don't have to source one big bit of leather, stitching easier than shaping, etc) then why are they more and more expensive every time they change? It would be cheaper for them to not have to change their design with "little things" all the time, better perhaps to release a new product, maybe call it the TL or something, and run them side by side to see what sells better and why.

Stu you sure are hard on the boots, to wear out a pair of SL's in a year...
Or is it because you're using these "new" ones? The old ones I use have done a lot, and are still going strong, looking great. Perhaps a little of the peeling you speak of at the toe where rubber meets leather - but not "opening up" as such, just a bit of a gap at the front.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby Ent » Mon 27 Apr, 2009 2:05 pm

Last edited by Ent on Thu 11 Nov, 2010 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tasadam » Mon 27 Apr, 2009 4:50 pm

When you go to the Scarpa link mentioned, you need to click on "Mountain / Backpack", then on SL M3
Or you can go here - http://www.scarpa.co.uk/Products/Produc ... oductId=35
Other links I found -
Old scarpas -
http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/573
http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/sports-equipmen ... sl/408513/
If I was in the UK and had size 46 feet I'd be getting these now - http://www.outdooraction.co.uk/acatalog ... 2006_.html
Someone that likes the old version - http://www.fitnesstravelgear.com/archiv ... boots.html

The new boot -
Here's an interesting review with good close up photos - http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/3926
All in all, it's a very successful update of a classic mountain boot, very comfortable for the level of support it offers and a great buy if that's what you're looking for and, of course, you have Scarpa-shaped feet.

We shall see. Might not be so bad after all, if you can believe that review.

Other reviews here - http://www.livefortheoutdoors.com/Gear- ... Scarpa-SL/ but it isn't clear who is talking about the older version and who's got the new one.
More reviews but no date means unknown model - http://www.thebackpacker.com/gear/boots/scarpa_sl.php
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby Ent » Mon 27 Apr, 2009 5:20 pm

Last edited by Ent on Thu 11 Nov, 2010 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Azza » Tue 28 Apr, 2009 2:25 pm

I've had 3 pairs of Scarpa SL's over the years and they usually last about 2-3 years depending on how much walking I'm doing.
I've been walking with Stu and know he definately gives his boots a hammering so I'm not suprised that he worn a few out in under 12 months.
I bought a pair of the new SL M3's over 12 months ago over the internet from the US for $150USD (prices here in Aus are extortion!), so the 'new' design is not really all that new. It just taken a while for them to appear here in Australia.
The changes aren't really all that dramatic and I don't think they're going to have that much of an effect.
The place were scarpa SL's wear out is the tread on the soles, the leather around the big toe joint cracks and wears through, and the stitching at the base of the back. The area around the ankle is usually covered by gaitors anyway and don't really attract any wear.
As stu said the bit at the front tends to delaminate and they is happening to mine after 12 months, but it doesn't appear to be a big issues.
I've got no issues in recommending the newer design. The important thing is to remember to wax them after use and don't let the leather and stitching dry out, because it will crack and fall apart.
Azza
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Return to Equipment