3-4 person 4 season tent option?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

3-4 person 4 season tent option?

Postby geoffmallo » Tue 23 Dec, 2008 5:19 pm

Yes another tent thread!

We're planning a trip to the Arthurs in a few months and need to work out our shelter options. There will be 3 in our party which is the cause for yet another tent! I was previously thinking about 2 in one of the 2 person tents (Bible Ahwanhee, MacPac Minaret) and then getting a solo shelter like the Hilleberg Akto or Soulo. Then my wife said why don't you think about a 3 person tent? So I'm exploring all options.

I've basically decided the many 2-3 would be far too small so it looks more like a 4 person 4 season tent. Many reviews say the 3 person is too tight (Eg kaitum 3) and for 2 weeks in poor weather and cooking in the vestibule?

So options are getting smaller.

Bibler bombshelter (1.3 kg per person)
Hilleberg keron 3 (1.3 kg per person)
Hilleberg Katium 3 (1 kg per person)
Hilleberg Nallo 3 (.9 kg per person)
Hilleberg Nallo 3 GT (.93 kg per person) - the GT's have massive vestibules.
Hilleberg Nallo 4 GT (1.1 kg per person)

the Hilleberg's are 160cm wide which I don't think would be enough for 3 people sitting out weather. The other concern with the Hilleberg (aka Hotel Hilleberg) is that they are very long at over 4m. Where can I put the thing?

The Nallo 4 GT would be pretty nice if I can find anywhere to put it.
geoffmallo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: 3-4 person 4 season tent option?

Postby whiskeylover » Tue 23 Dec, 2008 8:39 pm

We used the Wilderness Equipment First Arrow as a snug three person, four season tent for a longer walk, but we are all smallish (5' 6", 5'4" and 5' 0" and 75kg, 60kg and 56kg) and we took a light shelter tarp with eyelets and guy ropes that we could set up as a cooking shelter or annexe etc. This was perfect for us but may not suit bigger people. Was better in winter as we were a bit too snug (sweaty) in the heat some nights, especially me as I was in the middle.
It weighs 3.5kg but it has a very roomy vestibule and can be set up as just the fly separately, or you can unhook some of the inner to increase vestibule size while you are cooking, although I never cook in the vestibule - I prefer to put a coat on and cook outside. This is considered to be a 2-3 person tent - I suppose it depends how friendly or closely related you all are too!
medicinal purposes only of course
whiskeylover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby geoffmallo » Tue 23 Dec, 2008 8:58 pm

Thanks wiskeylover. I've got a 10 year old polyester first arrow that I've used in winter with 3. Two of us were over 6ft! Needless to say it wasn't ideal. For a long and possibly wet trip it'll just be too small I think.

I do like the tarp idea though.
geoffmallo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Franco » Wed 24 Dec, 2008 7:19 pm

For a climbing expedition a 3 person tent for 3 climbers will do, the same for a family . However spending two weeks in the same bushwalking tent with two other adults would be for me a torture not dissimilar to the ones used at Guantanamo Bay.
For a start I snore, then I tend to wake up every few hours check the time/temperature/surroundings have a drink and maybe go for a pee. Apparently I am not the only one . If you then have three adults that may indulge in my sort of behaviour....
Seriously if one gets sick for example, he may appreciate having a tent to himself . Some are not aware that they after a few days they can peel paper off a wall just by walking by, not the kind of person that you want 2 cm away from you all night.
Another point is that it is more likely to find two one/two person sites than a flat 4 m or thereabout area.
I would consider a double, a single and a light tarp (for cooking under and maybe eating lunch/having a break out of the rain ).
Franco
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Return to Equipment