Walking Pole advice please

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Walking Pole advice please

Postby Chris » Fri 12 Dec, 2008 9:34 pm

Have been investigating walking poles which include a monopod. The 2 available in Launceston today vary in price hugely.
The first one I saw (at PP) was a Leki for $130. Looked beautifully made of course.
The only other one was at Allgoods, an Elemental Bipod for $30! It felt OK and didn't scream "Cheap and nasty" to me. They assured me that it was very popular, but seems too cheap to consider. Hoped to find a mid-price one at Kathmandu, but they didn't have one.
Any comments from users would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Chris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Walking Pole advice please

Postby sthughes » Fri 12 Dec, 2008 9:47 pm

I've got a pair of el-cheapos and they are fine. I think the main differences are the quality of alloy and hence the weight, the type of grip (plastic vs cork etc) and the tip on the end (stainless steel vs carbide), and of course the brand name! Oh and some have anti-shock systems.
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Franco » Sat 13 Dec, 2008 8:59 am

Chris
Maybe you could consider getting hold of an Ultrapod, they come in three sizes and are very strong for the weight. Depending on the type of handle your poles have, you can wrap the Velcro strap around it or just turn the pole upside down and wrap it around the tip. I find this solution more convenient because it can also be set on rocks or on tree branches and the ball and socket head allows for better positioning.
Franco
http://www.pedcopods.com/products.shtml
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Nuts » Sat 13 Dec, 2008 9:16 am

Some seem to have luck with the cheaper poles but I haven't. We tried a few cheaper ones that siezed in position or the internal 'spreader' wouldn't work. Some were no good within a week. Don't fall for the 'Kokoda Trekkers' from e-bay, a stick would be better!

For several years I have been using Jacko poles, the Prostar with the spring and the Dyno without- these give few problems. They also make a 'monopod' stick (Jacko Royal). With the straight grip they are not ideal as a walking pole but OK if you just intend to poke about with a single pole, and are reliable.

Jacko poles are also sold on ebay (Wildearth) and not overly expensive. (Beware some of the other stuff Wildearth sells)

I guess it depends on how good a camera platform or how good a walking pole you want?
The proper (ball type) monopod heads, as above, would be a good compromise (and you could get a 'good' walking pole).

None will offer the stability of a tripod.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tas-man » Sat 13 Dec, 2008 12:09 pm

I have had the LEKI pole/monopod for over 6 years now and have been very happy with its performance as both trekking pole and monopod. I purchased it reluctantly for under $100 as there were no locally available cheaper poles with monopod option back then. I wouldn't now go walking without it - its my third leg :wink: and has proved great for testing the depth and density of walking track mud. Some earlier discussion and photos of a light weight ball head I use are in this thread. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=464
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Damien » Sat 13 Dec, 2008 1:12 pm

I can vouch for Leki customer service. The lower section of one of my poles developed a split. I sent an email through to their customer service department and received an email from the Australian Distributor the next day asking for my postal address, it was all sorted out in less than a week.

Damien
Damien
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New Zealand

Postby bauera » Wed 17 Dec, 2008 9:33 pm

a friend broke his "kathmandu" brand (i think it started with "F") on the Junction lake track. I have a pair of Leli Makalus. I could not speak too highly of spending the extra on a name brand if you intend to give them any sort of hard usage.
bauera
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Iluvtheoutdawz » Sat 20 Dec, 2008 9:31 am

Chris

I have a pair of hiking poles that I swear by, I have crook knees and the poles literally make the difference
between being able to do a walk with a full pack. They serve a multitude of uses on the track, great for going down steep inclines, have also proved extremely useful as diviners in the snow and at water crossings and have also helped out as late night 'possum persuaders'. They took a bit of getting used to when I first started walking with them but I'm now without doubt that they help me considerably and leave me feeling less fatigued at days end, I won't leave home without them. I bought my poles on-line from REI in the States, got them for a very reasonable price.
Iluvtheoutdawz
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Chris » Mon 22 Dec, 2008 3:22 pm

Thanks for all the advice. Going with the majority opinion, I'm being given a beautiful Leki pole with monopod for Christmas :D

Now, how can I break it in before the hoped-for Walls walk in April ? :?
Chris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby geoffmallo » Tue 23 Dec, 2008 8:55 pm

A couple of things I've learnt to look out for. I've got a major back injury and find that poles help me a lot by reducing my pain levels significantly. So my two pointers are:

1. Use 2 poles, not just one. It really does take a lot more pressure of you spine/hips/knees etc. You are also more stable.
2. If you like going up or down (or need to) then poles with shock really do help. I had a set without and when I was traveling and hiking in Yosemite I bought my mum a pair with shock. I used them for a big drops and ascents and instantly felt the difference.
geoffmallo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nuts » Tue 23 Dec, 2008 9:39 pm

I poked about with a single pole, and it was good on the 'weak' side but definitely two poles are a completely different experience, using your whole body to walk' makes issues such as ankle support or 'how heavy boots are' just seem ridiculous...
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment