Do I need my tent?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Do I need my tent?

Postby Kainas » Thu 27 Nov, 2008 10:50 am

Busy working out gear lists for our NZ trip this December. (Routeburn, Hollyford & Kepler).

We are booked into huts so I happily removed the tent from our overstuffed bags.

Have since been reading about the need to take a tent just in case an accident happens and you are stuck on the track.

Is this an issue?
Kainas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Do I need my tent?

Postby Damien » Thu 27 Nov, 2008 10:28 pm

It's not a major issue. The walks between the huts are usually between 3 and 6 hours for a fit walker.
If you do get in to trouble there will be other people on the track that can help you out.
If you are really worried about it, take a 'hootchie' which is an Army style 1 man tarp, they're about $20 from Army Disposal stores and weigh nothing.

If I was in your position, I wouldn't bother with a tent unless the DOC specifically state that you should be carrying one.
Damien
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New Zealand

Postby Kainas » Fri 28 Nov, 2008 6:05 am

thanks for the advice.
Kainas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wello » Thu 04 Dec, 2008 7:39 pm

The Routeburn is really well set up, and if you do the walk in the traditional three days there should be no issue at all getting between the huts. The track is very well constructed and the four huts are quite close together. Total walking time over the three days is probably only 12 hours or so for a fit party. Mind you, you;ll need plenty of time to take in the scenery - its uterly magnificent.

The huts are quite amazing too. In summer, they have gas stoves supplied, solar powered lighting in the evening, flushing toilets and running water. Even 10cm thick matresses - what luxury.

Not sure about the Hollyford and Kepler, but expect they are similar.

Wello
wello
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Kainas » Thu 04 Dec, 2008 9:55 pm

Gosh that sounds really good..yah for me I get to go in just over a week!
Kainas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment