Katmandu Packs

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Katmandu Packs

Postby sthughes » Thu 27 Nov, 2008 10:23 am

Has anyone had any experience or comments on the Kathmandu packs with the Configure3 harness? I notice in their latest sale starting tomorrow they've got the "Vardo" from $240 (50% of). The 75l only weighs 2.3kg which seems pretty good and I like the Gluon concept which could crank up capacity to 92l for those luxury occasions.
Any better ideas at this price point?
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Katmandu Packs

Postby Robbo » Thu 27 Nov, 2008 10:48 am

sthughes wrote:(50% of)

My understanding is that this brings them to about what they are worth... :|

Tony Robinson
"The place between your comfort zone and your dream is where your life takes place." Nick Vujicic.
Robbo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Gilson College
Region: Victoria

Postby sthughes » Thu 27 Nov, 2008 11:14 am

Yes I know ther RRP's are astronomical for what you get but I've always found their more expensive stuff pretty good when at half price. I've got a Katmandu sleeping bag and rain coat and for the prices I paid I couldn't be happier, if I'd payed RRP they would have still been good - but too over priced.
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 27 Nov, 2008 11:18 am

sthughes wrote:Any better ideas at this price point?

I can't specifically make a recommendation (having not tried it yet), but my mate has just bought a 'Tatonka' pack for less then $200. From a quick look at it, it appears to be a decent pack. May not last as long as the big name brands, but it appears to be good value for money. I'd never heard of the brand before, so it may be worth searching for reviews.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Singe » Thu 27 Nov, 2008 11:40 am

I have the previous version of this pack, which I believe has a different harness. I've used it for plenty of one to two night walks and a couple of longer ones without any complaints - but pack/harness fit is a fairly individual thing. I suspect the harness would be uncomfortable with larger loads than what I've used it for - but I'd probably be reaching the limit of what I could safely/comfortably carry anyway. At the end of the day it's a cheap pack, so don't expect it to perform to the same standard as packs with a genuine RRP of $400+ (never pay more than half price at Kathmandu).

Personally I'd lean toward a single-compartment pack like the Vanguard; I'm not sure I like the look of those weatherproof YKK zips with no storm flaps - if/when the rubber perishes, the pack will leak like a sieve! I bought the twin compartment pack for convenience, but have found I always pack from the top anyway...

Also the gluon system is a bit of a gimmic; the attachments on the pack are just four D rings on the compression straps, and the actual add-on bags are overpriced rubbish IMO. It's easy enough to add the attachments to your choice of daypack, and add D rings to any pack with four compression straps and bob's yer father's brother!
“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it is not the same river and he is not the same man.” -Heraclitus
Singe
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby norts » Thu 27 Nov, 2008 4:36 pm

I am a bit dubious on their capacity, their packs look small. I bought a Vanguard for my son, I tried it on a 3 dayer and the only way I could get all my gear in the pack was to have my tent on the outside.

It is a comfortable pack and I was happy with it when Idid use. My sons have not made any complaints. I purchased it when it was 1/2 price and I think that was a fair price.

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby scockburn » Fri 28 Nov, 2008 12:00 pm

I agree with Roger and Robbo re their value. I have one and purchased a Gluon for the added option to use the add on as a side tripper. It's OK and a little lighter than my Strezlecki OP. When I go on a long hard trip, I will always take the OP but for a few days , this one is OK. I mainly bought it for my wife . Don't ever pay full price for these things , they are not really worth it . The C3 harness is OK and you can purchase different sizes so it can be used by others (my wife) etc. If you can afford more do so is my view and I do not think you can go too wrong with OP or Macpac or Osprey. SC
scockburn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby sthughes » Sat 29 Nov, 2008 10:47 pm

I had a look today in Launy.
I didn't mind the Kathmandu packs but I wasn't struck on the fabric. The harness seemed okay but somehow just wasn't "right" for me.
Went to MD and tried a MD Terra, Mammut and the OP McMillan. Terra no good as a tad small with no expansion options, the Mammut was bigger and nice and light but the harness wasn't as good and the material nothing compared to the OP. The OP was of course the best material and had a good harness - but then at an extra $200 so it should! (Why do MD fill their bags with a giant inflated bladder - at least Kathmandu stuff them with a gazillion plastic bags to give it some weight!)
Then I went to Allgoods and checked out the Tatonka stuff. I was pretty impressed really. I reckon the Tatonka I tried had the best harness of all. The fabric wasn't up their with OP but then neither was the price and it wasn't bad. Oly thing wrong was it's weight - at 3.8kg's it's a heavy sucker!
I'm leaning towards the OP but at $400 I think I'll put it off till the next MD 25% off sale. In the mean time I'm working on "modifying" my existing DMH harness to hopefull avoid the hip bruises!
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby blacksheep » Sun 30 Nov, 2008 12:03 pm

i have designed packs for Kathmandu and for Mountain Designs over tha last 12 years. Now involved with macpac. each of these companies have a different goal in what they want to achieve with their packs- price vs. value, #of back lengths to ensure best fit vs.range of adjustment compromise, foam selection for comfort in store vs high memory/longevity etc. None of them are bad choices, just make sure you select what is right for your application. the meaningfulness of a $50 difference dissappears very quickly with a few uses, and is nothing over the course of a year... Of these 3 businesses only one really stands behind their products and has packs still out on people that are 20+ years old and still going strong (unless you call throwing a pack away and giving you another if something fails standing behind a product). It's what you don't see that really make the difference (choice of thread, where stress points are reinforced, durability of aztec canvas vs. PU nylon vs. a gued laminated fabric, selection of foams etc). None of them are bad for their expected use-just be sure what kind of use and life you want out of the product when you make your selection.
Good design is a kind of alchemy.
www.alchemy-equipment.com
blacksheep
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TBA.
Region: New Zealand

Postby wello » Thu 04 Dec, 2008 7:31 pm

My partner has a Vardo and she reckons its great. We've done the Overland and the South coast tracks with it, so its been loaded up for long trips and still been quite comfortable. Personally, I don't like the way the harness feels at the top of my back, but that's really personal choice.

I do agree with others that there's no point buying anything at Katmandu except when they do their sales. They do about four really good ones per year and its worth waiting for one to come around if you can.

Wello
wello
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Equipment