Summit Gear packs

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Summit Gear packs

Postby MBP » Wed 21 Nov, 2012 9:10 pm

Moondog55,

I was thinking bigger again. Probably something like the Korowal 80L. I would see if they can get a rifle holder on the back. Just a canvas 'cup' on two adjustable straps for the butt of the stock to go in and a couple of velcro or similar loops to secure the barrel. Wont always need/use the capacity but at time will be invaluable.
MBP
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Moondog55 » Wed 21 Nov, 2012 9:53 pm

One possible alternative would be the WE "Breakout " then, although I have never considered using mine as such. I took it to NY used it once and haven't used it since as it is simply too small for my gear in winter. Simple design does have its benefits even if no longer made in Australia
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby FatCanyoner » Wed 21 Nov, 2012 10:19 pm

MBP wrote:I was thinking bigger again. Probably something like the Korowal 80L.

One thing to be aware of with Summit packs is that they use their own technique to measure volume. What it means in effect is that if they say a pack is 55L, it is generally about the same as what most brands would call a 65L. In the case of an 80L pack you'd probably find it is VERY big. I'd try to get my hands on one to look at before committing to it. My canyoning pack is 55L. I have done week long bushwalks and week long canyoning trips with it. I'd imagine 80L would end up being insanely heavy and unpleasant to walk with.
On a side note, Summit manufacture everything locally, so all their designs are completely customisable... for a price. You can add / remove features, change fabrics and colours, etc.
FatCanyoner
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.FatCanyoners.org www.CanyonGear.com.au

Postby MBP » Thu 22 Nov, 2012 7:05 am

FatCanyoner wrote:
MBP wrote:I was thinking bigger again. Probably something like the Korowal 80L.

One thing to be aware of with Summit packs is that they use their own technique to measure volume. What it means in effect is that if they say a pack is 55L, it is generally about the same as what most brands would call a 65L. In the case of an 80L pack you'd probably find it is VERY big. I'd try to get my hands on one to look at before committing to it. My canyoning pack is 55L. I have done week long bushwalks and week long canyoning trips with it. I'd imagine 80L would end up being insanely heavy and unpleasant to walk with.
On a side note, Summit manufacture everything locally, so all their designs are completely customisable... for a price. You can add / remove features, change fabrics and colours, etc.

Thanks FatCanyoner, may have just saved me a fair bit of money.
It is shame there is no pack between the Blue Gum (55L) and Korowal (80L) in that style. I think it is a big size jump and also price jump.

EDIT: I should add that I wont be walking around with the pack the whole trip. Only to remote campsite set up then walk around each day with bum bag/small pack and come back to base every night.
MBP
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 22 Nov, 2012 7:45 am

OK mate, and I was talking about the small pack I use when stalking, 2 very different things.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby clarence » Thu 22 Nov, 2012 9:20 am

Someone one wrote:
With that said, I do not like the external pockets on the Summit Gear packs (Korowal) but I can see how they are actually practical

(How does this quoting thing work?)

I'm not a fan of ALL of the Summit Gear designs. HOWEVER, because of their flexibility of production and range, there will always be something they could modify or adapt to get it just right. The boys are pretty handy with a sewing machine and I would think that for a fee they'd be able to modify or make the pockets differently.

It is even possible to make a pack in between the sizes of their standard models, as I have had done. This customisation option is pretty unique in the outdoors industry. If it costs a bit more, it may work out at dollar a trip over the lifetime of the pack- I think that is very cheap to get precisely what you want.

Clarence
clarence
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby MBP » Thu 22 Nov, 2012 3:49 pm

clarence wrote:Someone one wrote:
With that said, I do not like the external pockets on the Summit Gear packs (Korowal) but I can see how they are actually practical

(How does this quoting thing work?)
Clarence

Not real sure Clarence.
At the top of each post (left of the posters name) is a little button that says quote. Click on it and you will see. Also when you are writing a reply (not quick reply) you can scroll down and in the same spot on each quote is the button so you can add more then one quote.

clarence wrote:
I'm not a fan of ALL of the Summit Gear designs. HOWEVER, because of their flexibility of production and range, there will always be something they could modify or adapt to get it just right. The boys are pretty handy with a sewing machine and I would think that for a fee they'd be able to modify or make the pockets differently.

It is even possible to make a pack in between the sizes of their standard models, as I have had done. This customisation option is pretty unique in the outdoors industry. If it costs a bit more, it may work out at dollar a trip over the lifetime of the pack- I think that is very cheap to get precisely what you want.

Clarence

If I could get something between 55 and 80L so about 67L it would be great. If the price was close to the 80L pack I would just get it though.

FatCanyoner,

I just went to the local shop to compare. Would you say an 80L Summit would be about 10L bigger than the 80L strezlecki?
Looked at the shadow in 56 and wba in 55 (they were the sizes they had on display) and they would be getting very close to big enough for 95% of the time. So if the 55l summit bluegum was closer to 65L it would be about/almost spot on and $170 cheaper.

I have a query. The bluegum is "High Tenacity Core-Spun Canvas" where as the cockatoo and Korowal are "High tenacity Corespun Canvas with 1000 denier Cordura reinforcement" Which would be the toughest of the two? Is the bluegume reinforced as well and they just missed it or not? I will send them an email if no one knows.
MBP
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Mountain Rocket » Thu 22 Nov, 2012 7:07 pm

MBP wrote:I will send them an email if no one knows.

Honestly mate just give Brett a call. He is the guy who is in charge of production(?) and is the guy you need to talk to if you want to order a custom pack. You can normally catch him at the Glenbrook store on (02) 4739 4373. He will be able to give you an idea of what is and is not possible.

I get the feeling the website is merely there because people expect it. If you are considering their packs though you really have to make a trip out to see them. I recently flew up to Sydney just to go and have a look at their packs. Ended up having a custom Korowal made up for my partner. I have not seen the finished product but my partner is genuinely thrilled.

After looking at their packs I would probably never look at most of the One Planet range again. Much more practical designs in my opinion.
Mountain Rocket
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby MBP » Thu 22 Nov, 2012 7:52 pm

Hi Robert,

Thanks for that.

What did you change about your partners pack?
thanks
MBP
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Mountain Rocket » Thu 22 Nov, 2012 8:30 pm

MBP wrote:What did you change about your partners pack?

Nothing major. We had them build it without the external front pocket or side pockets, as well as getting them to add another zip to the lid.
Mountain Rocket

Postby FatCanyoner » Thu 22 Nov, 2012 9:14 pm

Robert H wrote:Honestly mate just give Brett a call. He is the guy who is in charge of production(?) and is the guy you need to talk to if you want to order a custom pack. You can normally catch him at the Glenbrook store on (02) 4739 4373. He will be able to give you an idea of what is and is not possible.

Brett is definitely your man, but you'll want to call the Katoomba store (02 4782 3018) because a fire on Tuesday night in the appartment above their Glenbrook store has forced its temporary closure for the next few weeks.
FatCanyoner
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.FatCanyoners.org www.CanyonGear.com.au

Postby russ752 » Thu 22 Nov, 2012 9:50 pm

have just seen this post.

if anyone is interested I have 2 summit gear packs for sale. haven't seen much use.

PM for deatils
russ752
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Koalasaurus » Mon 11 Sep, 2023 10:17 pm

Hey Moondog, what was the pack you referenced? The link seems to be unavailable now.
Koalasaurus
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Scrambler » Tue 12 Sep, 2023 5:54 pm

https://summitgear.com.au/collections/h ... -OVERNIGHT

Korowal was mentioned above, as the 80l (in the longest back length). But work your way down the price list to check the other sizes.
Scrambler
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby markg » Wed 27 Sep, 2023 7:23 am

Stone Glacier and Exo Mountain Gear are two US based and manufactured backpack companies, there are more , that make outstanding packs designed specifically for carrying a lot or less weight in absolute comfort and stability with no load shifting etc. Premium products designed for primarily for hunting , both makes have a couple of frame designs that will take every size bag they make, so you don't have to lug a multi day pack when you only require a weekend size. Expensive though, but they take great pains to get them right. Most of these packs don't have any unnecessary pockets etc , they have a very basic design. I regularly carry 25kg with ease when doing multi day gigs, and we can carry a lot more in them, if one is up to it. I must admit to taking a liking to that Summit Gear light pack, it's similar to Hyperlight offerings but made in OZ. Be a good thing I reckon. Would like to see what frame is in them. Could be just the ticket for a backcountry fly trip.
markg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Previous

Return to Equipment