Tent/Pack/S-Bag Light Weight and Home Grown?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Tent/Pack/S-Bag Light Weight and Home Grown?

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 24 Sep, 2008 2:50 pm

As some people here already know, I'm a big fan of One Planet gear. I was just looking at the One Planet website to check my spelling of 'McMillan' in another topic and noticed the following on their front page:

What's new in light weight gear

Coming Soon!

The Gunyah series of 1 and 2 person ultra light tents (1.1kg and 1.25kg)

Add a new Gunyah tent to the already popular Shadow pack and Cocoon sleeping bag
and BINGO, a bushwalking pack, sleeping bag and tent with a combined start weight start 2.75kg.

Sounds promising, no? Has anyone tried the 'Shadow' pack or 'Cocoon' sleeping bag? Are they any good?

I'd love to be able to source a new light-weight 1 person tent from an Australian manufacturer (I do need something lighter for solo walks). I guess they'll be rather expensive though. I'm not sure if I can afford an expensive new tent.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Re: Tent/Pack/S-Bag Light Weight and Home Grown?

Postby adzza » Fri 26 Sep, 2008 1:30 pm

One thing to note. I spoke with Sue from One Planet this morning about purchasing a pack, and she went to tell me that the One Planet packs are manufactured here in aus, but other items such as their sleeping bags are done offshore. I wonder if their new tents will be done offshore to? Not saying that they will suffer in quality (even thought that's usually the case), just a point of interest.
adzza
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby MJD » Fri 26 Sep, 2008 7:14 pm

I just purchased a Shadow Pack but am yet to use it... Looks good. Lighter than the other pack that I have been using for 2-3 days with more volume.
Carpe diem
MJD
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Earthling » Sun 28 Sep, 2008 5:50 am

I was chatting to someone the other day and they have 2 x OP Bags and a WM Badger.
For Tassie conditions they always used the WM Badger.
I often wonder though if the Coccon 500 would be sufficient with a silk liner in Tassie. After all it would shave a whole 200grqams off my weight. Will be intersting to see peoples comments.
Regarding tents Sonofabeach, Ive just bought a Contrail tarptent from Henry Shire in the US. $199US + Delivery, weighing 696 grams. Ive added 4 more stakes and 4 guidelines which will drag the weight up another 150grams or so...not sure yet as line weight is a bit iffy. Great tent/tarp though which has rave reviews from all users of these beauties. Many people use these for the whole of the Appalachian Trail and if they can handle that trail, they can handle Tassie.
http://www.tarptent.com/contrail.html
Sent from my home planet Earth using the World Wide Web
Earthling
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MJD » Sun 28 Sep, 2008 7:02 am

I find my Cocoon 300 adequate if there isn't snow on the ground. Camped near the top off Ossa on the June long weekend and was just warm enough despite the little tarn etc freezing over.
Carpe diem
MJD
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby alliecat » Sun 28 Sep, 2008 10:53 am

Earthling wrote:I was chatting to someone the other day and they have 2 x OP Bags and a WM Badger.
For Tassie conditions they always used the WM Badger.
I often wonder though if the Coccon 500 would be sufficient with a silk liner in Tassie. After all it would shave a whole 200grqams off my weight. Will be intersting to see peoples comments.
Regarding tents Sonofabeach, Ive just bought a Contrail tarptent from Henry Shire in the US. $199US + Delivery, weighing 696 grams. Ive added 4 more stakes and 4 guidelines which will drag the weight up another 150grams or so...not sure yet as line weight is a bit iffy. Great tent/tarp though which has rave reviews from all users of these beauties. Many people use these for the whole of the Appalachian Trail and if they can handle that trail, they can handle Tassie.

The Tarptents are great (Cloudburst 2 user here - for 6 months of the year only) but they are not suitable for all year round in Tassie. They are single skin, so can't really be expected to cope with days of sustained rain or snow. Also, they cannot handle the extreme winds we get here compared to trails like the AT. And the combination of wind and rain would make for a pretty wet experience in a contrail. The contrail would not cope with dumps of snow either (too much near-horizontal surface area). Look, I like the tarptents as much as anybody, but stating that they can handle Tassie because they can handle the AT is just flat out wrong.

Cheers,
Alliecat
alliecat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Earthling » Mon 29 Sep, 2008 2:33 pm

alliecat wrote:
Earthling wrote: Great tent/tarp though which has rave reviews from all users of these beauties. Many people use these for the whole of the Appalachian Trail and if they can handle that trail, they can handle Tassie.

The Tarptents are great (Cloudburst 2 user here - for 6 months of the year only) but they are not suitable for all year round in Tassie. They are single skin, so can't really be expected to cope with days of sustained rain or snow. Also, they cannot handle the extreme winds we get here compared to trails like the AT. And the combination of wind and rain would make for a pretty wet experience in a contrail. The contrail would not cope with dumps of snow either (too much near-horizontal surface area). Look, I like the tarptents as much as anybody, but stating that they can handle Tassie because they can handle the AT is just flat out wrong.
Cheers,
Alliecat

Interesting. I did lots of research about these tarp/tents and apart from the odd 1% of people not liking them usually for subjective personal reasons, the rest were rave reviews. Including use in freezing conditions and snow and rain and wind...obviously not all at once :lol: :wink: .
Heres a link to one lot of users:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... ad_id=4472

My last tent was a Vango Hydra, a tent that was still standing when everbody elses was sailing in the wind...she braved many a Scottish blow. Until a side blow one 10day meditation retreat broke a pole....so much for me being equanimous.... :oops:
It will be interesting getting out their in wild conditions and using this baby and see how she performs.
Earthling
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby alliecat » Mon 29 Sep, 2008 3:49 pm

Earthling wrote:Interesting. I did lots of research about these tarp/tents and apart from the odd 1% of people not liking them usually for subjective personal reasons, the rest were rave reviews. Including use in freezing conditions and snow and rain and wind...obviously not all at once :lol: :wink: .
Heres a link to one lot of users:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... ad_id=4472

Perhaps you should read those reviews at BPL a bit more thoroughly (and critically). For example:
"I have not tried this shelter in high winds or heavy rain or snow "
or
"The one 'weakness' of the Contrail is its need for more stability in high winds"
etc. etc.

The contrail is a "3-season" tent (it says so on the tarptent site) - and that's three U.S. seasons with predictable conditions and generally much less rain and wind than Tas. The point is made several times in the BPL thread you quote that the contrail is "not a mountaineering tent", and that it is not suitable for "above the tree line" (read: "windy") conditions, and so on.

The contrail is undoubtedly a great tent - in the conditions for which it was designed. That does not include most of Tassie, most of the time. As I said, I have a tarptent Cloudburst which is great for summer camping at low altitudes in sheltered conditions. I'm sure the contrail would be fine in those conditions too. But I recently bought a Hilleberg Nallo to use the rest of the year and in tougher conditions because I know that the tarptent would be too risky in strong winds in the middle of winter.

I wish there was a tent as light as the contrail that could handle Tassie conditions, but if there is, I haven't found it yet - and I've been looking for quite some time!

It's up to you of course, but I suggest you do a lot more research about conditions here in Tasmania before you consider using a contrail or similar tent here, unless you plan to stick to very sheltered areas.
alliecat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Earthling » Mon 29 Sep, 2008 5:14 pm

alliecat wrote:Perhaps you should read those reviews at BPL a bit more thoroughly (and critically). For example:
"I have not tried this shelter in high winds or heavy rain or snow "
or
"The one 'weakness' of the Contrail is its need for more stability in high winds"
etc. etc.

The contrail is a "3-season" tent (it says so on the tarptent site) - and that's three U.S. seasons with predictable conditions and generally much less rain and wind than Tas. The point is made several times in the BPL thread you quote that the contrail is "not a mountaineering tent", and that it is not suitable for "above the tree line" (read: "windy") conditions, and so on.

The contrail is undoubtedly a great tent - in the conditions for which it was designed. That does not include most of Tassie, most of the time. As I said, I have a tarptent Cloudburst which is great for summer camping at low altitudes in sheltered conditions. I'm sure the contrail would be fine in those conditions too. But I recently bought a Hilleberg Nallo to use the rest of the year and in tougher conditions because I know that the tarptent would be too risky in strong winds in the middle of winter.

I wish there was a tent as light as the contrail that could handle Tassie conditions, but if there is, I haven't found it yet - and I've been looking for quite some time!

It's up to you of course, but I suggest you do a lot more research about conditions here in Tasmania before you consider using a contrail or similar tent here, unless you plan to stick to very sheltered areas.

I undesrstood that 3 season european/us standard was equivelant to anything Australia can dish out (4 seasons)...apart from cyclones and other random seasonal extremes of nature. A us/eur 4 season is a lot colder and windier and extreme then Tas. Also check out if you havent the weather extremes people have on the Appalachian Trail end to enders, lots of rain, snow and wind.

I think I do see where your coming from though and to pitch this tent on an exposed slab of rock on a peak on the westcoast as a mother of a storm front is coming in July would not be a wise move. Mind you, i wiouldnt know many tents that would be a wise move for that. Hubba range perhaps....
In my original comments i said they can handle tassie. Thats was not meant to be interpreted 'well it can handle the worst possible storm tassie has seen in the last 100 years.' Thats going too far. From the people who have used this tent and are capable hikers, have used it in windy, wet, snow, cold conditions and have been fine. Site selection should always be a part of normal tent setup no matter how good your tent is. If someone is an idiot and picks an open site when a nice storm is coming and uses only 4 pegs... call emergency services. I was using my comment for uncommon sense, experienced, packers.

Heres this: For heavy rain or when snow is anticipated there is the option of using your second hiking pole, totally collapsed in lengh, for a rear "pole" to hold the foot end up like the front so a ridge runs from front to rear. This configuration sheds rain & snow better but gives less width at the foot inside. As further preparation for really foul weather, especially wind, be sure to have a prepared guy line to use as the front, center guy. There is a captive plastic line tensioner already sewn in at the peak to recieve this front guy line.

Something Ive noted from people who went beyond light conditions in this tent always said, it came down to being able to using the available options this tent gives you to hunker down. Dont use the options, dont go the bad weather.

Another quote: The Contrail stood up to strong winds, heavy rain, hailstorms and even snow (a bit of a novelty in Australia on Christmas Day!). I remained warm enough and dry enough throughout.

Another: The contrail is very storm worthy, when used with consideration. In my opinion is is a very lightweight shelter and not a mountaineering tent and should therefor be treated as such in terms of site selection. I went through many summer storms in this tent and never ever got wet but I am very picky about where I would pitch the Contrail (taking special care to always pitch it foot end into the wind; it is worth waiting an extra 15 minutes once selecting a site to be certain of the wind direction. Pitching the tent in the right direction makes a HUGE difference in both ventilation and storm worthyness). In very high winds I was forced on a few occasions to pysicaly hold down the sides of the tent from the inside, even when pitched right to the ground but to me the trade of of having a 700 gramme shelter is worth the few minutes of manual "anchoring" over the long run. It is worth noting that in one sudden storm I was camped beside another person in a dome tent, at 2400m, and he suffered a broken pole as the winds were so strong.

A storm that lifts a tent up Ive been in and its damn windy. Was 80 mile and hour winds that night for me in Orkney. Tents around me were busting up but my Vango stayed firm, pitched correctly and rear facing the wind. If this guy took his and it survived the same conditions its a winner for me.

Look. We could go back and forth on this for days and what it comes down to is this, when I come back in with a damaged tent and having to sleep in my wet weather gear and all my clothes on (which will keep me alive by the way..backup plan#44-9A), I will concede defeat and accept a good I told you so.
With how I camp and the importance of site selection and setting the tent up right for the conditions, I am confident she'll be ok...otherwise I wouldnt have bought it.
Oh and it arrived today and I can see shes very well made and adaptable. Im in the process of hooking up all the extra guylines I got with her to keep her rigid and will be enjoying the chance to test her in the wild Tassie weather early next year.
Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong post #1.
Earthling
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby alliecat » Mon 29 Sep, 2008 5:52 pm

Earthling wrote:I undesrstood that 3 season european/us standard was equivelant to anything Australia can dish out (4 seasons)...apart from cyclones and other random seasonal extremes of nature. A us/eur 4 season is a lot colder and windier and extreme then Tas. Also check out if you havent the weather extremes people have on the Appalachian Trail end to enders, lots of rain, snow and wind.

No, you have that completely backwards. A "4-season" tent for US conditions is really a 3-season tent for Tassie, the UK, and much of Europe. You really need what the yanks consider a "mountaineering tent" to cover all 4 seasons in Tas. Evidence? Well, the Hilleberg Nallo is sold in the US as a "mountaineering tent" - not a 3- or even 4-season tent.

If you read BPL (and you obviously do) you will find many references to the fact that US conditions are, for the most part, a doddle compared to Australia, the UK, and Europe. I have no idea where you got the idea that it's the other way around.

BTW, I have friends who have walked sections of the AT, and they consider it a piece of cake compared to Tassie's South West.

Cheers,
Alliecat
alliecat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 29 Sep, 2008 8:42 pm

I don't know enough about these tents to make any informed comment, but I can say the following...

Earthling wrote:strong winds, heavy rain, hailstorms and even snow (a bit of a novelty in Australia on Christmas Day!).

Not at all a novelty in Tasmania for Bushwalkers on Christmas Day or any day during Summer. I've walked in snow storms in the middle of Summer on several occasions.

when I come back in with a damaged tent and having to sleep in my wet weather gear and all my clothes on (which will keep me alive by the way..backup plan#44-9A), I will concede defeat and accept a good I told you so.

I sure hope it doesn't come to that. And I sure hope that if it does, you're still alive for somebody to say, "I told you so". :-) (NB: This is partly tongue in cheek, but I also because I do worry sometimes).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Earthling » Tue 30 Sep, 2008 7:19 am

Son of a Beach wrote:
when I come back in with a damaged tent and having to sleep in my wet weather gear and all my clothes on (which will keep me alive by the way..backup plan#44-9A), I will concede defeat and accept a good I told you so.

I sure hope it doesn't come to that. And I sure hope that if it does, you're still alive for somebody to say, "I told you so". :-) (NB: This is partly tongue in cheek, but I also because I do worry sometimes).

Me too!
Between you and alliecat youve got me worried (which is a good thing).......Ive done more research overnight and to be sure I dont die a miserable, freezing, wet death, have decided to take a bivibag during the testing phase as well. The more I read I can see where Allie is coming from regarding the tents capabilities. I still feel that with a good uncommon sense approach with site selection, and modifying the tent setup to suit the prevailing conditions, it will withstand all but a large snow dump, without frequent monitoring. Time will tell though. It will be interesting testing her out. Last night in a still 10c night was a sweet start.
Thanks Allie for persevering and pointing the way.
Earthling
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 30 Sep, 2008 8:44 am

Sounds like a good idea. The difficult thing with Tassie, as that you could be fine with less tough gear 95% of the time, but for those 5% of days with extreme weather (particularly in the South West), you really do need the extreme gear. And that 5% can be spread over any time of year.

So just because you have 10 trips with no problems that less tough gear couldn't handle, doesn't mean you won't need the tougher gear next time.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby alliecat » Tue 30 Sep, 2008 9:01 am

Hey Earthling,
No worries and you're welcome :)

I think the bivy is a great idea - it'll add a lot of security to your setup for very little extra weight. And they are handy for emergencies anyway. I always forget about bivys because I sweat like, well, a really sweaty thing, so they don't really "work" for me. But for most people they are a great addition to a lightweight setup. Good luck with your trips and don't forget to post trip reports and photos here!
alliecat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MJD » Thu 16 Oct, 2008 1:14 pm

Took my One Planet Shadow pack up to the Labyrinth for a couple of days. Carried 13kg in to Lake Elysia and used it as a day pack out to Macs Mtn. Very pleased with it. It does sit slightly further back than my other pack, which actually rested against my entire back - the Shadow is different with contact points at the hips and upper back giving some nice ventilation in between. I did notice the load/weight being further back a couple of times but soon got used to it. One small problem was that if leaning forward and then looking upwards I found that the back of my head would sometimes hit the top of the frame.

Being 900g lighter and with 10l greater capacity than my other pack means it's going to see a lot more work. Perhaps I'll even add an item or two to my first aid kit :) .
Carpe diem
MJD
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 16 Oct, 2008 1:31 pm

Looks like the new "Gunyah" tent will be available 'mid-November' and they now have a picture on their front page. It looks like a similar style to MacPac's Microlite, but with actual ventilation. ;-)

I'm anxious to see this in the flesh, and to see what the pricing will be like. I've been looking around for a light weight one man tent, and have always liked the idea of the Microlite, but haven't been happy with the reports of condensation.

Seems that One Planet are getting serious about light weight stuff. They've also announced a new range of light weight sleeping bags, the 'Zephyr' (in addition to their existing light weight ones which didn't have quite as much fill).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby kahtadin » Tue 21 Oct, 2008 12:13 pm

BTW, I have friends who have walked sections of the AT, and they consider it a piece of cake compared to Tassie's South West.

I was on the AT here in New Hampshire yesterday in an area where temperatures started the day at -6C rose to 3C and wnds of 15-30 km carried all day. An altogether average day for early fall and probably one of the nicest between now and April (fortunately I'll be in Tassie for most of that time :) ). During that period last year there were only 22 days when the recorded temperature rose above 0C (highest 7.2C ), and there were 29 days of recorded wind speeds in excess of 160km (highest 233km).
kahtadin
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Other Country

Postby alliecat » Tue 21 Oct, 2008 2:53 pm

kahtadin wrote:

I was on the AT here in New Hampshire yesterday in an area where temperatures started the day at -6C rose to 3C and wnds of 15-30 km carried all day. An altogether average day for early fall and probably one of the nicest between now and April (fortunately I'll be in Tassie for most of that time :) ). During that period last year there were only 22 days when the recorded temperature rose above 0C (highest 7.2C ), and there were 29 days of recorded wind speeds in excess of 160km (highest 233km).

Most of the AT is very sheltered hiking. Yes there are exposed sections, but for the most part it is quite sheltered. And the temperatures that you quote are quite mild. The danger in Tassie is not because of the temperature - the SW is pretty warm compared to some places. The danger is because of the combination of continuous rain, cold, wind, exposed terrain, distance from help, and rough tracks. It is extremely rare to have to deal with all those aspects at once on the AT and similar trails, whereas it is the norm when hiking in Tasmania. That's the difference: extreme conditions on continental US trails = just-another-day in Tas.

Yes, anybody can point to the AT and say "we had 160kmh winds there once" or "it got down to -20C" and so on. But you cant claim to regularly encounter days of continual rain, wind, and cold and isolation.

It's not a competition - I'm not trying to say "our trails are tougher than yours - nyar, nyar" - I'm just pointing out that experience with the relatively mild conditions that you get most of the time on trails like the AT does not equate to experience with the conditions of SW Tas. It's the same with the rest of Australia - we regularly lose bushwalkers from other states because they underestimate the conditions here.
alliecat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kahtadin » Tue 21 Oct, 2008 8:10 pm

I'll certainly take your word (and good advice) for conditions in SW , but your comments on conditions in this part of the world (New Hampshire & Maine) are misinformed. Regardless, the relevant point is that gear and expectations that may be entirely adequate for conditions in one area can be totally inappropriate applied in another area that when viewed from afar appears similar. In that vein I would second your comments on avoiding the use of the Contrail (love mine) in the conditions you described.

kahtadin
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Other Country

Return to Equipment