Sleeping bag, so many to chose from.

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Sleeping bag, so many to chose from.

Postby brissifirey » Thu 04 Sep, 2008 10:05 pm

Hi,

It is time to retire the old sleeping bag, 10 years of good use so cannot complain but it is no longer made. I have narrowed it down to two choices : the Mont Nadgee with hydronaught shell and the Exped Ibis WB. Has any one had either ,if so was the water resistant outer worth the extra $.

Cheers.
brissifirey
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: Sleeping bag, so many to chose from.

Postby MichaelfromQLD » Tue 09 Sep, 2008 1:04 pm

Haven't owned either of them, but get the water resistant outer. You'll already be spending big $$ for a decent bag so it's not that much extra.
I've never had a problem with moisture affecting my sleeping bag, but then again, I'm not deliberately wetting it to see how it will go.
MichaelfromQLD
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Joe » Wed 10 Sep, 2008 7:32 am

Waterproof outer is definitely worth it...even if you never get it wet pretty much all the waterproof outers add to the warmth of the bag by not allowing warm air to escape.

Check out the black stag range of down bags...they are exceptional value for money bags with their 900g fill bag costing around the same as all the competitions ~700 fill. Allgoods should stock them, or if they don't will definitely be able to get them in for you.
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.
Region: Tasmania

Postby alex » Fri 12 Sep, 2008 9:54 pm

taswaterfalls.com wrote:their 900g fill bag costing around the same as all the competitions ~700 fill

Im guessing they are able to do this because the down is not as good (high/low loft). better down costs more... but is lighter for the same amount of insulation. so 900g worth of crap down could be no warmer than 700gm of good down, while being heavier. you get what you pay for.

and i too would recommend the water resistant outer, a bit warmer and no matter how warm your bag is to start with, it will be useless if it does get wet.
alex
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Joe » Fri 12 Sep, 2008 10:58 pm

alex wrote:
taswaterfalls.com wrote:their 900g fill bag costing around the same as all the competitions ~700 fill

Im guessing they are able to do this because the down is not as good (high/low loft). better down costs more... but is lighter for the same amount of insulation. so 900g worth of crap down could be no warmer than 700gm of good down, while being heavier. you get what you pay for.

and i too would recommend the water resistant outer, a bit warmer and no matter how warm your bag is to start with, it will be useless if it does get wet.

Definitely not. From what I understand all the bags are 90/10 mix of 700 loft down. Where they do differ from the other bags is in the baffles...the mont bags stand out here with their vertical baffles over the body rather than horizontal which keeps the down where its needed. This is a real benefit of mont bags...but you do pay a lot more for it ;)
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.
Region: Tasmania

Return to Equipment