Titanium foil question

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Titanium foil question

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 14 May, 2024 3:26 pm

Is the TOAKS windshield foil the same as is usually used for small wood stoves or is the stove flue foil thicker and if so by how much?
I've looked at the website and the thickness isn't given.
Looking at a few U-Tubes it seems to be much thinner but I find it hard to guesstimate by how much
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Titanium foil question

Postby Biggles » Tue 14 May, 2024 5:02 pm

A similar and better designed item at Backpacking Light in Melbourne that I have seen; had to go and look on their website, though I saw it last Wednesday, it's made by Vesuv; it is shown as 0.1mm ti foil — commonly supplied in bulk rolls for manufacturing applications. The drawback with these fancy, overpriced products is they can cause injury; the extremely thin material makes it impossible to bevel or fold over the edges. The TOAKS website shows US$10.95, which is $18.80 here e.g. at Ultralighthiker.com.au

https://www.backpackinglight.com.au/pro ... ernew-1-3l

https://ultralighthiker.com.au/products ... windscreen
“Is é comhrá faoin aimsir an tearmann deiridh ag an duine gan samhlaíocht.”
—Oscar Wilde, 1890.
Biggles
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 14 May, 2024 5:14 pm

The main reason I asked is that I have a spare Titanium flue but it is so thin I can't accurately measure it with my cheap calipers
I usually use cheap aluminium roof flashing for my windscreens but I was thinking of something else
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby crollsurf » Tue 14 May, 2024 10:48 pm

Ignore, I missed your last post

I think that would depend on the brand. Pomoly are making lightweight woodstoves for hiking/bushcraft, so the material they use for flues would be the lightest out there.

Couldn't hurt to ask them.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Bill P » Fri 17 May, 2024 9:36 pm

Hi Moondog, I have a toaks ti shield. Its too thin for my calipers too. Based on its dimensions (580 x 110mm), weight of 14 gr and the density of ti (~4.506 g/cm3) the foil thickness calculation comes out at 0.0487 mm . So I thinks its made of 0.05 foil. (I didnt discount for the punched holes.) It is thinner than the ebay ti foil i have.
Bill P
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby scoha » Sun 02 Jun, 2024 11:12 am

Would it be crazy to use these for gas cannister set ups? Need to prop up so cannister isnt shrouded Im guessing
scoha
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 02 Jun, 2024 12:11 pm

Before I went to a remote stove I used a windscreen as a matter of course in snow, probably a good idea in cold windy conditions but used with caution. Never had a problem myself in winter in snow tho and a windscreen is packed in my winter "OhShit Kit"
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment