New Tarptent , the Dipole 1 DW

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

New Tarptent , the Dipole 1 DW

Postby Franco » Sat 27 May, 2023 9:35 am

I haven't done this for sometime but I really like this one so here it is :
dpdw1_1.jpg

A solo but double wall version of the Dipole.
Both a partial inner (with a high floor and 2/3ds solid fabric) and a mesh inner will be available.
TT hould have some more photos and some specs out too but let's say that it is a sort of wider Notch , designed for the taller ones.
Please do not share this photo till TT makes the official announcement....
(BTW, I haven't "worked" for TT for a few years but I am still in touch with the Shires family).
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: New Tarptent , the Dipole 1 DW

Postby iGBH » Mon 29 May, 2023 7:06 am

Very interested to see more about this tent. I have a DCF Dipole 2 and really like the design and can see this being a great option for those not wanting a single wall tent.
iGBH
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby headwerkn » Mon 29 May, 2023 9:08 am

Franco, how do you find the Dipole design for ventilation and condensation in cold/still/drizzly conditions? We love our Double Rainbow Li but if there was one aspect I think it struggles with, it's ventilation when the side doors are closed up (porch mode does struggle in anything other than the lightest drizzle). The end mesh gutters don't allow much air to circulate unless there's a decent breeze blowing about. The Dipole's big ol' side mesh panels look quite good in this regard?
headwerkn
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby Franco » Mon 29 May, 2023 9:38 am

Hi,
I don't have a Dipole so no first hand experience.
They do have (both the original 1and 2 and this new solo version) a solid cover to zip up and so far I have not seen anyone complaining they have had rain trough that.
You can see the solid bit folded down in the Dipole Li 1 in this photo (you zip that up from the inside)
dp1li_viewintoend.jpg
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnrs » Mon 29 May, 2023 10:49 am

Sil nylon Franco?
Any idea of the weight?
John
johnrs

Region: New South Wales

Postby Franco » Mon 29 May, 2023 11:04 am

The Dipole 1 DW is in silpoly. Sorry I don't have the weight .
( I might have had the weight of the Nevada City built prototype but that ends up always different when the factory makes them. )
Last edited by Franco on Mon 29 May, 2023 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnrs » Mon 29 May, 2023 11:09 am

No stretch or sag then Franco!
johnrs

Region: New South Wales

Postby Franco » Mon 29 May, 2023 11:21 am

Funny thing is that I never had problems with sag and in fact I posted a few videos of TT silnylon shelters after a full night of rain still up nice and taut.
It really is like stretching a rubber band, at some point it can't stretch anymore and that is why if you tension the tent once the fabric has relaxed (when cold) it then can't stretch anymore.
I have had several people coming to my place to show me their tent sagging problem, once I got them to set up their tent the result was always the same :they set them up limp ! ( of course they did not realise that...)
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby iGBH » Mon 29 May, 2023 2:12 pm

headwerkn wrote:Franco, how do you find the Dipole design for ventilation and condensation in cold/still/drizzly conditions? We love our Double Rainbow Li but if there was one aspect I think it struggles with, it's ventilation when the side doors are closed up (porch mode does struggle in anything other than the lightest drizzle). The end mesh gutters don't allow much air to circulate unless there's a decent breeze blowing about. The Dipole's big ol' side mesh panels look quite good in this regard?

I can answer this as a Dipole 2 owner and have used in Vic high country and Tasmania.

In windy, cold and wet conditions with rain/snow/sleet and all zipped up there was light condensation. The design and the space of the Dipole means this is negated, except for the light misting you get when the fabric gets buffeted by wind. Certainly performed better than expected from both a storm-worthiness and condensation perspective.

In still and dry conditions with end vents mostly open, no condensation to speak of. In the same conditions, Duplex had some minor condensation.

HTH
iGBH
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby headwerkn » Tue 30 May, 2023 11:03 am

Thankyou for the feedback, much appreciated! We're hoping to get another few years yet out of our Double Rainbow Li (it's about to get a major retaping of all the tension points and around the zips), but it is interesting to consider other options when it eventually disintegrates. That said my better half is very much sold on the ease of setting up the hoop pole, and the wind cheating abilities of its curved shape have been proven utterly in several trips this year.
headwerkn

Region: Tasmania

Postby Franco » Thu 01 Jun, 2023 9:05 am

Here is the video on the new tent :

https://www.tarptent.com/whats-new/
BTW, Henry posted a 3D look with a 6'6" dummy inside (on top of a 1" mat)
https://www.tarptent.com/product/dipole-1-dw/#tab-id-5
that is the point of the DiPole tents, to fit the taller ones.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment