WTB: Lightweight 1P or 2P hiking tent

Once an item is sold, found or thread is no longer needed we move it here. These maybe helpful for historic reasons.

WTB: Lightweight 1P or 2P hiking tent

Postby Dav1d » Mon 22 Nov, 2021 8:22 pm

Putting my kit together and looking for a lightweight tent (ideally <2kg). Hiking around Vic ( and NZ when I get over there.) Budget up to $600-$700.
Dav1d
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: WTB: Lightweight 1P or 2P hiking tent

Postby Hiking Exped » Wed 24 Nov, 2021 10:18 am

Lots of choice at that budget and weight.

I have just picked up an Illumina x ultralight 4 season tent from Novapro sports this year and I’m really impressed for what I use it for. Good fast service too.

I mainly use it for just me on extended multi day hikes for the extra room, but have had it in snow and high winds on Stirling and it performed really well. Lots of room for just me.

The specs are a bit out on weight. Mine weights 1.5 spot on without the extra footprint which I don’t usually use as I use a fold up closes cell mat under air bed. The extra footprint comes with it for about $250 and weighs about another 250g. Ive used the tent for two nights with wife and enough room, but not at all spacious at that weight. We used the extra footprint as a small tarp then for cooking under as the vestibule is not large. It performed great in a massive downfall over two days. It’s a good pole set up, well made, with half mesh inner. Impressed so far.

Used a myriad of tent set ups over the years, but at this price and weight it suited me fine.

Worth a look.
Hiking Exped
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby nezumi » Wed 24 Nov, 2021 10:38 am

That budget and weight does give you a wide range of options. To narrow it down some:
* Do you use trekking poles, and if so would you be happy using them to support the tent, or do you want something freestanding?
* You mentioned NZ - do you plan on using the tent in snowy conditions, or just for 3 season use?
* What's your priority on weight vs durability?
* Since you say 1p or 2p, I assume that you will be sleeping in the tent solo? A 2p will give you room to bring your gear inside with you.
nezumi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Al M » Tue 28 Dec, 2021 11:21 pm

Some common higher quality tent choices for the money and weight are Big Agnes Copper Spur and Flycreek, MSR, Wilderness Equipment and Nemo range, hit them up online and check locally.
Al M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Return to Sold Claimed Closed and Expired