Sorting out all my stuff

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Sorting out all my stuff

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 07 Oct, 2021 10:05 am

I've got a project that should keep me occupied for the next few days. Having collected my fixed winter camp stuff from a garage in Bright I have no room on the camping shelves.
I am going to have to take it all down; do some re-arranging and sort out the "Keeping" from the "Selling" and the "Toss-in-the-Bin" gear.
Keep your eyes on the trading post section of the forum because there may be some real bargains posted and there will be some freebies and unfinished/not started projects there too.
I know that one of the Black Wolf "Tuff-Dome" tents has to go but I can't decide which one to sell. Both are only used once as due to a combination of factors they turn out to be unsuitable for Ceciles needs.
I need to reduce my holdings a lot. N+1 is no longer appropriate where the camping and other outdoor pursuits are concerned.
I am however going to ski next season so a couple of the throwaway family tents are being kept for that trip, maybe not on the camping shelves tho.
Watch this space; there may be news.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Sorting out all my stuff

Postby EGM » Thu 07 Oct, 2021 11:33 am

Thanks for the heads up MD and have fun with the clean out but don't kid yourself.
We all know n+1 is the correct amount of camping gear.

In all seriousness I'm in a similar position with potentially a significant move on the horizon.
EGM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ChrisJHC » Thu 07 Oct, 2021 5:16 pm

There are two formulae to keep in mind:

1. The amount of camping gear you need is what you have plus 1.

2. The amount of camping gear you need is the number where your partner leaves you minus 1.

:)
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Eremophila » Fri 08 Oct, 2021 8:27 am

EGM wrote:In all seriousness I'm in a similar position with potentially a significant move on the horizon.

So does that mean you don't need that tent you just bought? :lol: Looked like a real bargain.
Eremophila

Postby EGM » Fri 08 Oct, 2021 10:56 am

"So does that mean you don't need that tent you just bought? :lol: Looked like a real bargain"

Nope I definitely needed that one ;)
EGM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 08 Oct, 2021 12:54 pm

I need my new tent also.
What I can't make a decision about is all the older ones. I'd like to get it down to 4 or 5 sets of gear
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Hiking Exped » Sat 16 Oct, 2021 6:05 am

OK that’s the kick up the backside I needed too. My gear room is in a desperate need of a sort out and this looks like the weekend to do it. I am dreadful at holding onto stuff that’s no longer used or no good. I even have some air beds burst so badly they are beyond repair, but still they are taking up room. Moondog has inspired me to get into it all starting today, so I may too have some stuff to sell or give away and this brilliant find of a community seems the place. Although maybe I’ll need it one day
Hiking Exped
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 16 Oct, 2021 1:38 pm

Hiking Exped wrote:OK that’s the kick up the backside I needed too. My gear room is in a desperate need of a sort out and this looks like the weekend to do it. I am dreadful at holding onto stuff that’s no longer used or no good. I even have some air beds burst so badly they are beyond repair, but still they are taking up room. Moondog has inspired me to get into it all starting today, so I may too have some stuff to sell or give away and this brilliant find of a community seems the place. Although maybe I’ll need it one day

Which is why I have duplicates of my duplicates plus spares and things for my mate "Justin" and too much stuff.
It would be very different if I had kids who bushwalked or skied or a spouse who liked camping as much as I do, but there-in lies the rub as Shakespeare wrote in one of his popular plays.
However I am going to wait until after the 2022 ski season to chuck all the old stuff out. In partial defense I only own one Titanium pot and 3 Ti cups
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Hiking Exped » Sat 16 Oct, 2021 3:04 pm

I’ve made a start, you really don’t want to know how many mugs, sporks and MOLLE pouches I’ve found so far :lol:
Hiking Exped
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 30 Oct, 2021 2:30 pm

Hiking Exped wrote:I’ve made a start, you really don’t want to know how many mugs, sporks and MOLLE pouches I’ve found so far :lol:

Yes we do. We all do.

I just spend a leisurely hour putting cords on some of my winter tent pegs, surprisingly therapeutic.
To my amazement I seem to have accumulated a couple of extra small LPG tanks.
That makes 4 of the 3/8th fitting, one and a spare for each stove. Wasn't planned that way tho.
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Between Bushwalks