Quick Happy Walk Update

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Quick Happy Walk Update

Postby TerraMer » Fri 23 Jan, 2015 12:51 am

I'll make this quick because it is late and there is not much to say but everything is going well. last year i walked 3,850kms across most of Australia from Perth to Crystal Brook where injury and early heat waves pulled me up 900km short of Melbourne.

Cape to Cape, the SW and South Coast are beautiful parts of WA, I recommend them for anyone travelling by any means.

Walking across the Nullarbor was an incredible experience. Saw some amazing things and met some wonderful people.

Bob Cooper sponsored an advanced outback survival course which I'm proud to have completed. Bob's courses are the best available in Australia. Between his many years of wisdom and his experienced instructors they bring a wealth of knowledge and reliable guidance through the Pilbara gorge country in remote survival scenarios. Anyone who goes bush for extended periods of time or travels in remote regions will benefit greatly from his courses.

In Port Lincoln Calypso Star Charters sponsored a shark cage dive with great whites. Something else i highly recommend to everyone. I already loved sharks but after that I had a whole new perspective on how special this species is.

The longest day was 66kms, the average was 42km/day before pulling up injured.

I wore out 5 pairs of top shelf boots.

The fundraiser has been disappointing with only $7,200 raised for Lifeline's 24/7 crisis hotline in the last 5,100kms, I'm hoping Lifeline will help promote the walk this year so people in Australia actually know it is happening and can contribute.

This year is a bigger challenge than last with another planned continental crossing, this time 5,500kms from Perth to Darwin via Broome on Hwy 1.

My barrow will weigh more this year, more than 60kg, as water consumption will be huge in the heat and humidity but walking will be limited to cooler hours of the morning and evening with quite a bit pre dawn and after dusk.

If you're interested in this kind of stuff you can follow on facebook, twitter, instagram and youtube vids are coming soon. Social media isn't my cuppa tea but essential for charity walking in this era of technology.

The website is still the same and you can link to the fundraiser, social media and sponsors from there.
www.thehappywalk.com

If your out there passing by don't just keep going, stop and say hi.

Cheers
Terra
thehappywalkblog.wordpress.com
Solo unaccompanied walk around Australia
Sponsored by The Australian Geographic Society
TerraMer
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: The Happy Walk
Region: Australia

Re: Quick Happy Walk Update

Postby DarrenM » Mon 26 Jan, 2015 4:04 pm

Good work Terra. Thanks for the update.
DarrenM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Eremophila » Mon 26 Jan, 2015 6:40 pm

Good to hear from you Terra.

Been looking at your Wordpress link but it had seemed to drop off earlier in the year ?? Now I can see all of the posts from through the year, great reading and pics.

Stay well and keep up the good work :D
Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby Eremophila » Mon 21 May, 2018 1:39 pm

Eremophila

Region: Victoria

Return to Between Bushwalks