Scotts Hut is situated on the south-western banks of Wallagoot Lake, halfway between Merimbula and Tathra, in Bournda National Park. The reconstructed hut (completed in 1988) was built in a slab cottage style. This cottage has a corrugated iron roof, and wooden walls and floorings. The cottage has been fitted with gutters which feed a water tank at the southern end of the hut. The hut has an open fireplace and its interiors are painted white.
The builder of the hut was Thomas Scott, originally a resident of Cooma and a father of twelve, to two wives. The hut is thought to have been built in 1890 on one of many pieces of land Mr Scott owned around the Wallagoot Lake.
The hut can be accessed via the Sapphire Highway and Bournda Rd. Surrounding the hut is a picnic area and adjacent, Hobart Beach.