Springwood, along the Great Western Highway, is the second largest town in the Blue Mountains. Springwood also takes the title for the oldest railway station in the Blue Mountains. There are a variety of shops in Springwood, with quite a few cafes, bakeries and two historic hotels. Springwood was named by Governor Macquarie, when his wife and he stopped for water from a deep glen spring, in 1815. It seems aptly named, with many springs and creeks leading away from the ridge at Springwood, including Sassafras Gully, Magdala Creek and Glenbrook Creek.