Mt French, Edward & Mt Greville, Moogerah Peaks N.P.

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Mt French, Edward & Mt Greville, Moogerah Peaks N.P.

Postby ofuros » Sun 11 Sep, 2011 6:20 pm

Mt French.
Couple of very short walks available there, most interesting is the trail to Logans lookout which has great views,
then along the cliffline to a gully, drop down to the base of the cliffs, head left & check out the rock climbers above you.
Track follows the cliff base back up to the car park.

Sheltered camping sites are available, all with plenty of tree's to hang a hammock. wood BBQ's & picnic tables & water.

Mt Edwards.
Unusual start to this track.....across the Lake Moorgerah's dam wall. Views of Edwards Jnr on the way up, with its water scarred flanks.
Summit, nice spot to grab something to eat or just stare at the amazing vista.
Pretty start...signs of spring.

Hammocked overnight at Mt May camp ground.... only one I knew that would be sheltered from that blustery wind last night.
A possum decided to head-butted the underside of my hammock in the early hours, we looked at each other stunned in the moonlight.
A kookaburra's morning call woke me from my slumber (they're more reliable than a rooster :wink: )...i reclosed my eyes & sleeped a little longer,
then broke camp & headed over to Mt Greville.

Nothing beats a cosy camp fire......

Intended to summit Mt Creville but since time was ticking away, I chose to do the shady & cool Palm gorge circuit
returning via the S.E. ridge for the fantastic views. Will have to come back & complete this mountain over the coming w/ends, perhaps
via waterfall gorge.
ImageImage

A enjoyable weekends wander...

Sunmap 25,000 series, MT ALFORD

See you on the track.
Ooroo,
ofuros
Last edited by ofuros on Mon 19 Sep, 2011 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Mt French, Edward & Mt Greville, Moogerah Peaks N.P.

Postby cams » Mon 12 Sep, 2011 8:50 am

Nice photo's. I really enjoyed the walk up palm tree gorge and back down the ridge. Those are the two best parts of the walk anyway. The track to the summit is only worth doing to say you've made it to the summit. I'm hoping to get to rainforest gorge sometime too. The views down into it from the ridge are amazing.
cams
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby ofuros » Tue 13 Sep, 2011 4:58 pm

Thanks cams,
I'm enjoying these short hikes at the moment, gradually getting my body back into bushwalking fitness again.....
Love studying the maps & topography, visualizing the terrain,
then just heading out to see what's really there .....its always much more majestic than i imagined !
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby tas-man » Sun 18 Sep, 2011 2:51 am

ofuros wrote:<Snip> Will have to come back & complete this mountain over the coming w/ends, perhaps
via waterfall gorge.

Your mention of waterfall gorge prompted memories of one trip where I took a group of teenagers up Greville's main southern gorge in the early 1970's where at our lunch spot at a good viewing point somewhere below the top, one chap was exploring the cliff edges and stepped onto a section of rock that started to move away from the cliff when he stepped onto it. I yelled at him to jump back immediately as the gap between the rock he was on slowly opened up from the main rock mass behind. He was so frightened that he didn't need any more prompting, and we braced ourselves for this massive column of rock to tumble off the mountain with enormous effect, but it stopped moving and then rocked slowly back into its original position. It was obviously very finely balanced, and I have often wondered if it was still there or had since fallen away. I remember my first thoughts, as I imagined what might be the consequences, as "how am I going to tell his mother!" We descended Greville via the smaller gully more to the east full of Picabeen Palms and got a good way down when we reached a narrow steep sided section with a sheer drop like a dry waterfall, and not wanting to climb all the back up ended up shimmying down a palm tree growing next to the rock face, one at a time! I assume that this route is the one you refer to as waterfall gorge? Look forward to seeing your photos when you make the trip. 8)
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ofuros » Mon 19 Sep, 2011 8:40 pm

Teeter-tottering on a cliffs edge......heart in the mouth stuff, Tas-man !
I can picture you & your group shimmying down that palms trunk one at a time.
Its these offbeat little episodes which make a so so walk into a good & memorable one.
Luck was on his side that day.....

And yes, the eastern gully where you practised sliding down the firemans pole :wink: ... is called the waterfall gorge.

Cheers,
ofuros
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ofuros » Mon 30 Mar, 2015 5:46 pm

Just a heads up for those thinking of heading for Mt Greville.... be careful when ascending or descending the Mt Greville's S.E.Ridge.
There's a bunch of European wasps making a nest beside the track at knee height.
Got stung twice as I past by this morning as I was making a circuit out of the Waterfall Gorge & the S.E. Ridge.
Severe intense pain for 3-4mins before gradually tapering off.
I'd forgotten how nasty those buggers are. :evil:

If your ascending, they're at the top of the 1st slabby rock scramble on the right hand side....
If descending, left hand side, knee height, just before the Last rock slab scramble.
Take care out there......

Waterfall Gorge is on the far right of the first pic....

P3300001 (Medium).JPG

009 (Medium).JPG

019 (Medium).JPG
019 (Medium).JPG (93.46 KiB) Viewed 28322 times

028 (Medium).JPG
Last edited by ofuros on Thu 02 Apr, 2015 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby cams » Tue 31 Mar, 2015 9:57 am

ofuros wrote:Just a heads up for those thinking of heading for Mt Greville.... be careful when ascending or descending the Mt Greville's S.E.Ridge.
There's a bunch of European wasps making a nest beside the track at knee height.
Got stung twice as I past by this morning as I was making a circuit out Waterfall Gorge & the S.E. Ridge.
Severe intense pain for 3-4mins before gradually tapering off.
I'd forgotten how nasty those buggers are. :evil:

If your ascending, they're at the top of the 1st slabby rock scramble on the right hand side....
If descending, left hand side, knee height, just before the Last rock slab scramble.
Take care out there......

Waterfall Gorge is on the far right of the first pic....

P3300001 (Medium).JPG

009 (Medium).JPG

019 (Medium).JPG

028 (Medium).JPG

Eeeek! Thanks for the heads up. Maybe it would be useful to have a general alerts sticky in the Queensland section for stuff like this. It's certainly a popular route.
cams

Postby ofuros » Thu 02 Apr, 2015 10:25 am

Not a bad idea Cam....I put it out there because I was thinking of other walkers who may be allergic to stings.
Hopefully it'll be another 20years before I get another whack from a Euro wasp. :wink:
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to QLD Trip Reports & Track Notes