Luxe Speedup 1-2p tent?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Luxe Speedup 1-2p tent?

Postby juju » Thu 08 Sep, 2011 6:51 pm

Hi, does anyone have any experience with these tents? Are they any good? They are pretty light and versatile, probably a condensation problem though.
Here's a link to pics http://www.luxeoutdoor.com/eng/catalog- ... th=/12/134
We'll get fit on the way.
juju
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Luxe Speedup 1-2p tent?

Postby corvus » Thu 08 Sep, 2011 7:08 pm

Probably a good tent but for around the same weight a" Scarp 1" will give you so much more room without a claustrophobic feeling :)
corvus
P.S. condensation can be a fact of life with most shelters in cold and damp situations.
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Postby juju » Thu 08 Sep, 2011 7:14 pm

Yes I do like the Scarp.
These are a good price though at $185. And both sides open for ventilation for summer - only a mesh inner I know the Scarp has an optional mesh or solid inner which makes it more seasonally versatile.
juju
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Franco » Thu 08 Sep, 2011 7:45 pm

Hi Juju
I have one of those but never used it in the bush...
It was my idea to have that made following the release of a clever but minimalistic "shaped" tarp by another manufacturer.
I thought that the design had merits, mostly because it can stand up with two pegs so it is as fast or faster to set up for a rainy lunch break than just a tarp.
At the time I was in love with the idea of a Gothic arch and had this thing about a solo shelter with two doors, Michael Wong at Luxe went along with that and made it happen.
Best if you are around 175cm or less.
Here it is with Michael and me. We are both about 172cm tall.
The specs at the Luxe website are pretty accurate.

BTW, it isn't a copy of that other design. It just inspired another way of doing something similar.
Franco
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby juju » Thu 08 Sep, 2011 8:04 pm

Thanks Franco. I came across that pic in another topic re other Lux tents just before you replied. It looks a really nice design and quite roomy.
juju
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Thu 08 Sep, 2011 8:08 pm

Hey Franco,
What sort of endorsement is "I have one, helped to design it but never used it in the Bush" :).

I believe that despite the "specs" it really looks very claustrophobic :lol:

juju for $185.00 you get what you pay for and it well may suit the conditions you use it in which I guess is not winter :)
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby juju » Thu 08 Sep, 2011 8:39 pm

Yes - I was thinking lightweight, summer, mainland...I actually don't think it seems claustrophobic - it opens both sides - unless because of the dark colour? My Nallo 2 is dark green...
Anyhow that's why I'm asking if anyone's spent time in/with one to hear their opinion.
juju
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby etrangere » Fri 09 Sep, 2011 8:51 am

etrangere
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Nuts » Fri 09 Sep, 2011 9:09 am

juju wrote: that's why I'm asking if anyone's spent time in/with one to hear their opinion.

lol.. There must be some sort of universal law about vaccums and voids n that useful for gear topics :) (btw... the best backpack in the known universe will ship today :wink: )
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Franco » Fri 09 Sep, 2011 9:37 am

Some comments.
let's get the negative out of the way first.
As already stated it is a bit small but there is a workaround that.

Positives.
As I took the shelter downstairs it started to rain. I set it up in a minute or so with two pegs only and this is what I meant about a quick lunchtime refuge from rain/wind or sun..
I am sitting on the side just to show that two people can sit in it , still have the door open and be protected.

This is what it looks like with all the pegs in place as well as the two guylines.
I attached the guylines to the door pegs but of course you can guy it further out with an extra couple of pegs.

Since I had passing heavy showers doing this, it was obvious that you can spent time there under rain and still have a good view because the mesh inner is well away from the door.
Because it is an integral pitch, you can always set it up fly only or unclip the inner for extra room.
However having the inner set up the way is meant to it means that on top of a thick mat (7cm) I touch the net with my head and feet (not the fly...)
If that bothers you or you are taller , than you can turn the inner around and set it under the pole.
This will give you a same what awkward access to the door and way less rain protection leaving the door open but it is still better than many .

The pink mat is 168cm long, the spare floor space is 25cm, so a 180cm person would fit in there.

As for the reason for not using it in the bush, I have right now 13 tents and some of them I prefer over this but it is personal taste.

Franco
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby juju » Fri 09 Sep, 2011 5:18 pm

Nuts wrote:(btw... the best backpack in the known universe will ship today :wink: )

Umm, which backpack? I thought I already bought it...
Franco - thanks for all that information and pics to boot. I thought the ventilation (condensation) might be a problem. I'm usually with someone and have a Nallo 2 that's never had any problem, the airflow is excellent.
juju
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby juju » Fri 09 Sep, 2011 5:35 pm

Ahh Nuts, you must mean my sister's backpack! Yes we'll be the Bobsey Twins except both female (are you too young to know who they are?) we look alike though.
juju
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nuts » Fri 09 Sep, 2011 6:00 pm

Hi juju, sorry a bit cryptic perhaps...

I'm picturing two amazon princesses (with little yellow packs) :lol: am i close?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Fri 09 Sep, 2011 9:15 pm

Franco wrote:Some comments.
snip

As for the reason for not using it in the bush, I have right now 13 tents and some of them I prefer over this but it is personal taste.

Franco

I understand Franco just another tent you had to have
I have Stoves like that :)
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby juju » Sat 10 Sep, 2011 9:10 am

Nuts wrote:Hi juju, sorry a bit cryptic perhaps...

I'm picturing two amazon princesses (with little yellow packs) :lol: am i close?

:lol: we're blonde though...and we don't have more fun - I heard a well respected blonde journalist say that to be taken seriously we have to dye our hair dark or wear spectacles...
juju
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ms_Mudd » Wed 29 May, 2019 10:45 pm

Franco wrote:Some comments.

However having the inner set up the way is meant to it means that on top of a thick mat (7cm) I touch the net with my head and feet (not the fly...)
If that bothers you or you are taller , than you can turn the inner around and set it under the pole.
This will give you a same what awkward access to the door and way less rain protection leaving the door open but it is still better than many .

Franco

A super old thread, but the best info I have found so far, I was looking for info as this tent is one of two currently weathering a very blustery night on my lawn. I did find a link to the pdf instructions from an old listing of the tent on a store website, but the link to the instructions didn't work. I went digging online now for info it as I couldn't for the life of me work out how the inner was meant to attach. I think I was on the wrong track judging from your photos, Franco. So in any position I am meant to peg the inner out rather than trying to affix it to the fly anywhere? I could work out the roof top tabs to hang it, it was just the orientation of the rest of it that confounded me, the hooks attached to the inner were too short to reach anything on the fly and in any case, there was nowhere obvious to affix them.

Wasn't expecting it to hold up so well in the wind, but she is still standing out there after being set up this morning when the windy weather really amped up. There were a few micro holes on the fly, I know it is PU, but as I had silicone mix out sealing another tent I had set up, I just painted the teeny holes with the mix. Not sure if that is a tent crime or not though ;-)

Anyway, as always, this forum delivers. I scoured the internet looking for instructions on the inner set up and here were the best images, right under my nose!
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Franco » Thu 30 May, 2019 10:59 am

The inner set up diagonally along the pole line ,as you see in those photos of mine, is not the standard way of doing it but an alternative version that works better for the taller type. The std way is as in these product ad
InfoLUXE Speedup 2.jpg
InfoLUXE Speedup 2.jpg (21.47 KiB) Viewed 9766 times

Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ms_Mudd » Thu 30 May, 2019 11:11 am

Ahh Thank you.
Hmm the clips on the inner don't really seem to want to neatly reach the peg out points. I may need to add some shock cords. Or have a glass of wine and go back outside and play around with it some more. I am not a very coordinated person, but seem to be able to miraculously gain skills and finesse after one glass of wine...that skill does not last until the second glass however.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Franco » Thu 30 May, 2019 12:22 pm

From memory i used a separate peg or two for the inner too .
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment