Lakes Adelaide and Meston

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Postby walkinTas » Fri 06 Jul, 2007 9:31 pm

Has anyone walked this track lately. What can you tell me about it.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Moses Creek Track

Postby norts » Tue 02 Oct, 2007 3:35 pm

I have walked the Moses Creek Track from Junction Lake to road in March 07 and also did part of it( Road to grail falls and up onto Cathedral) in Jul 07

Track from Junction to Cloisters Lagoon is not really well marked and could be very boggy in wet conditions. Around Cloisters it is a bit up and down but not a problem. From Chalice lake to road is well marked and a good track except fro a few trees down.

if you don't want to go all the way to Junction Lake you could come down the Lake Bill track

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: Moses Creek Track

Postby walkinTas » Tue 02 Oct, 2007 5:02 pm

norts wrote:if you don't want to go all the way to Junction Lake you could come down the Lake Bill track
Roger

Thanks Roger,

I'm going to walk in and out on the Lake Bill track as soon as the days get long enough.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tastrekker » Tue 02 Oct, 2007 9:41 pm

The Abels have a good description of Tracks in this area as they relate to Cathedral Mountain (Twin Spires), Mt Rogoona and Mts of Jupiter. Even if you are not into 'peak bagging,' the track notes for the surrounding area are good.

You may also like to check out the topic I just added to this forum here.

In recent years, Parks appear to be maintaining the track from Juno Creek via Lakes Bill, Myrtle and Meston to Junction Lake. They have also done a good job on the Moses Creek Track as far as Grail Falls. However, I'm not so sure they are looking after the remainder of the Moses Creek Track or the Junction Lake Track from the Lake Ball turn off to the Lake Meston Hut.
tastrekker
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby walkinTas » Wed 03 Oct, 2007 10:09 pm

So there is a hut at Meston. I did know that. Whats it like?
Last edited by walkinTas on Thu 04 Oct, 2007 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby flyfisher » Thu 04 Oct, 2007 6:20 am

My avatar is a small pic of Meston hut.

John
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby kantonysen » Thu 04 Oct, 2007 7:22 am

So there is a hut at Meston. I did know that. Whats it like?

The hut is quite rustic but very comfortable when the weather is on the nose. It is very similar to the hut at Junction Lake. Now that it is the trout fishing season it's a good idea to take a tent in case huts are already occupied. This is particularly true during summer.
I concur with the point in relation to the route from Junction Lake to Moses Creek takes a bit to find; but, once having found it it's very clear.
A couple of years ago we went in via Juno Creek and came out via Moses Creek track. The hardest part of the trip was walking back to our car along the Mersey Forest road, even though we had left our packs at the end of the Moses Creek track.
Keith
kantonysen
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby frank_in_oz » Fri 02 Nov, 2007 1:19 pm

We were around this area in July. Great walk in a bit of snow. Here is the link to the posts on our Blog http://frankinoz.blogspot.com/search/label/Walls%20of%20Jerusalem Back down that way for a wander in 3 weeks!
Frank
Check out "Our Hiking Blog" Overland Track guide, Food to Go-recipe ideas and Trekking to Everest Base Camp.
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Lakes Adelaide and Meston

Postby dplanet » Sat 19 Jan, 2008 11:46 pm

[quote="walkinTas"]Has anyone walked this track lately. What can you tell me about it.

..been to Lakes Adelaide - Meston about 7-8 years ago. Sorry I can't recall.

Just got back from Lakes Ball - Adelaide; so I can tell you about Lake Adelaide. The route is a well-defined foot track. Just keep walking along the shore. A bit slow going due to rocky path. Nice tent site at the most southern lake (38.4 - 64.1) where I decided to spend another night. In fact, I tried to explore the option to walk in Central Plateau via Lakes Toorah - Three Arm - Antimony. Will have another go from the other side.

My tent used for car camping was used on this trip due to a technical problem of my pack carrying tent. It worked well and Its weight is just a bit over my normal p/c tent. I had had it from a club auction and here it is:
http://members.westnet.com.au/dzungn/ta ... elaide.jpg
dplanet
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby abowen » Tue 22 Jan, 2008 12:24 pm

Concur with norts, posting 2 Oct. The track at the Junction Lake end going to Cloisters requires some navigation to pick up. It is taped in some areas. I was there last Easter. Beautiful weather. Stood on top of Rogoona soaking up all of the peaks that we could see.
Watch out for the mud along Cloisters. I was leading at one stage and fell knee deep into a large hole (despite prodding the depth of holes with my poles as I go along). A warning to others was duly provided with some muttering as I extricated myself. However, one of our party was way behind and didn't see the said event or hear the warning. They went in over their waist (deepest hole I have come across so far and I have seen some beauties on the Frenchmans track!) This hole was particularly tricky as it had very high sides to it above mud level!
Recent Walks:
Mt Gell
abowen
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby roseart » Fri 28 Mar, 2008 4:01 pm

Yes a mate & I walked from Adelaide to Meston in January 2008.
The track was fairly easy to follow and not to challenging.
:D
roseart
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Tasmania