GIMP, Ubuntu and Wireless Drivers [split from ...BMP to JPG]

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

GIMP, Ubuntu and Wireless Drivers [split from ...BMP to JPG]

Postby sthughes » Wed 17 Sep, 2008 2:34 pm

Well after trying 4 times to download the GIMP over severeral weeks and failing (hence my long silence) I have now installed Ubuntu! So I've tried the GIMP - have the same issues but perhaps not so bad. But yes - the GIMP is a great program (or will be when I get used to all the diffent icons and stuff). And it's free of course so who can complain! Anyway I'm over my picture problems now - got a bigger headache to worry about in the form of Ubuntu not wanting to run my wireless card! :roll:
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: How to convert BMP to JPG

Postby Speculator » Wed 17 Sep, 2008 2:53 pm

sthughes wrote:Well after trying 4 times to download the GIMP over severeral weeks and failing (hence my long silence) I have now installed Ubuntu! So I've tried the GIMP - have the same issues but perhaps not so bad. But yes - the GIMP is a great program (or will be when I get used to all the diffent icons and stuff). And it's free of course so who can complain! Anyway I'm over my picture problems now - got a bigger headache to worry about in the form of Ubuntu not wanting to run my wireless card! :roll:

Ugh, good luck with the wireless issues. It could be pot luck whether it ever runs at all under Ubuntu. Either way, it'll be a good learning experience trying out a new operating system (a non-Windows one).

Anyway, this is now getting a little unrelated to Bushwalking isn't it? Someone talk about pack weight or the Fagus or something! ;)

L8r.
---
Peak bagging points: 10. Peak bagging bagging points: 10000.
Speculator
Optimus Imago
Optimus Imago

Postby sthughes » Wed 17 Sep, 2008 3:02 pm

Perhaps I should take my Laptop bushwalking - then it would be bushwalking related. But can you imagine the argument of how much RAM is a 'safe' amount and how many spare batteries I 'need' to carry and is a neprene case enough or do I need a leather one! By the time it's all over Sea to Summit will have a Gore Tex laptop case on the market! :lol:
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Joe » Wed 17 Sep, 2008 6:40 pm

Ive battled sucessfully with wireless and ubuntu on my laptop and mums laptops (mums been all ubuntu for over a year with no hassles...love it)

Shoot me a pm if you are struggling lots...happy to help.

Great to see someone giving Ubuntu a go. I havent used windows in a lot of years now. No regrets :)
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Postby walkinTas » Wed 17 Sep, 2008 11:25 pm

sthughes wrote:Anyway I'm over my picture problems now - got a bigger headache to worry about in the form of Ubuntu not wanting to run my wireless card! :roll:

Take a look here --> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/Ndiswrapper. I successfully used a windows driver for my PCMCIA wireless card in a Compaq with Suse. I didn't use ndiswrapper, but a similar approach. I've changed laptops now so I don't have the issue any more. ....might help! Good luck.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Between Bushwalks