Mount Barney (and surrounds)

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mount Barney (and surrounds)

Postby MichaelfromQLD » Thu 21 Aug, 2008 5:18 pm

Hey all

Keen to visit Barney again in the coming weeks. Anyone else keen? I'll have to report back with some photos to show you south islanders that we actually do have mountains in Queensland.

I'm really interested in doing Midget ridge as I've never been that way before. Anyone here got tips/advice?

I've done the gorge, south-east ridge, north ridge, rocky creek and peasants so far.

Keen to discuss other peaks in the area too. Anybody got pics of mt Lindesayto share?
MichaelfromQLD
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: Mount Barney (and surrounds)

Postby eggs » Thu 21 Aug, 2008 11:11 pm

Ahh - Mt Barney - mecca for all bushwalkers in Queensland. I only got there once during a prolonged drought.
Along with 4 young children, I think we were the only ones in the park - and climbing it was beyond us at that stage.
But the Lower Portals were fantastic and well worth it.

Its a long drive from Adelaide. I am afraid its still a bit far away to think about for now. :?
My preparation for another crack at Tasmania this summer will probably be in the Flinders Ranges near Wilpena Pound.

Anyway - for those who are wondering what the fuss is about, here is a morning photo of the multi headed beast from the North side.
Barney.JPG
Panorama of Mt Barney

Brian
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby under10kg » Sat 25 Apr, 2009 11:39 am

I am heading out to mt barney next week to do one of the harder accents. I will take my camera and post some photos.
under10kg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Son of a Beach » Sat 25 Apr, 2009 4:58 pm

If you see a ~65 year old couple walking between the start of the track and the portals, stop and say g'day... it may be my parents (they're not feeling up to walking much further than that). I'm not sure exactly which day they're going in though.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Return to Queensland