Holiday

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Holiday

Postby Son of a Beach » Sun 17 Aug, 2008 9:35 pm

I've just recently returned from 10 days in Brisbane, including a brief visit to the house that my aunt is house-sitting near Caboulture. It was by far the most impressive modern house I've ever set foot in (including 4 living areas). The verandah was enourmous, and had a great view of the Glass House Mountains (as well as Bribie, Moreton and North Stradbroke Islands). This photo is of my daughter playing with some of the toys she found in one of the bedrooms there with the mountain view behind her.

Unfortunately, there was no opportunity to climb any of the mountains. I've been up Beerwah before (and abseiled down the main cliff), but I've always wanted to climb Crook Neck (sorry, I can't remember the politically correct name). One day...

Anyhow, it was a great holiday. The idea was to get both our girls to meet their great grandparents while their airfares were still free (ie, they are less than 2 years old).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Re: Holiday

Postby johnw » Mon 18 Aug, 2008 9:12 am

Son of a Beach wrote:had a great view of the Glass House Mountains
Unfortunately, there was no opportunity to climb any of the mountains. I've been up Beerwah before (and abseiled down the main cliff), but I've always wanted to climb Crook Neck (sorry, I can't remember the politically correct name). One day...

Hi Nik,
It's a great spot (and that's an envious view). We spent a few days at Glass House Mountains mid-2007 during a road trip through NSW and SE QLD. I'm not a climber but we walked up a couple of the smaller peaks and went maybe 3/4 of the way up Tibrogargan (to the start of the scary bit). I think Crookneck is called Coonowrin but I believe it's been closed for some years (accidents and erosion?).

Did you manage to take the family to Australia Zoo?
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 18 Aug, 2008 9:30 am

No, we didn't get to the zoo, unfortunately. We were on a very tight schedule of visiting family and friends, zipping from one house to the next between Brisbane, Caboulture and Ipswitch.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby tas-man » Mon 18 Aug, 2008 10:11 am

Son of a Beach wrote:<SNIP>Unfortunately, there was no opportunity to climb any of the mountains. I've been up Beerwah before (and abseiled down the main cliff), but I've always wanted to climb Crook Neck (sorry, I can't remember the politically correct name). One day... <SNIP> .

My very first bushwalking experience was a climb up Crookneck! Somewhere, I have an old album that has some B & W photos of that trip - the best one a photo of me negotiating "Salmon's Leap" a sideways move around a rock projection that requires hand holds to lean against to move across a gap in the rock face. For many years there was a timber plank placed across this gap that the first ascent members "jumped" over! I believe that QLD Parks have closed this peak to climbers due to "unstable" rock conditions :? so any ascents these days are "unofficial". :shock: :shock: Also climbed Beewah many times, and Tibrogagan back and front, but remember my first attempt at the front climb to the caves at night after exams had finished to get the "knee freezes" at the point of moving from the ledge to the exposed ridge line leading to the first cave. Decided to stay on the ledge for the rest of the night with my belt extended around a sapling (in case I dozed off), and watched the traffic on the highway until the sun came up :oops:
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby tasdaz » Tue 02 Sep, 2008 10:42 pm

Nice shot... I spent two years living in Caboolture/Morayfield. Made it to the top of Tibrogargan, which they said required basic rock climbing. Didn't seem so bad at the time. Maybe Federation isn't that hard afterall :lol:
Ain't no mountain high enough
Ain't no river deep enough
Too keep from walking in Tassie
tasdaz
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Between Bushwalks