Gold Coast Hinterland Great Walk

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Postby Nebtera » Thu 10 Feb, 2011 4:15 pm

G'day all,

I am planning on doing the Gold Coast Great Walk in March and was wondering if anybody had done it an if you had any advice for me.

I am a reltaivley experienced walker. I have been a tour guide for the past couple of years and have done a lot of walking through that, but this would be my first Great Walk/Overnight camping walking.

Cheers
Nebtera
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Backroads Touring Company
Region: Queensland

Re: Gold Coast Hinterland Great Walk

Postby cams » Fri 11 Feb, 2011 9:20 am

It is fairly straight forward. Track is easy to follow. Depending on how much rain there is over the next month there is a section of the second day that was under water when I went through. In the marshy section before the prison. We battled with the spiders to get around it. If it is hot, the second day can be pretty tough. A woman in a group behind us pulled out when they got to the road. I probably went through about 5L of water and sweated out all my salts which resulted in feeling pretty crappy towards the end of the day. The section along the road in the numinbah valley is very exposed with little shade. A number of other people I've spoken to managed to hitch a ride along this section.

Overall though, really nice walk with good campsites. Campsite on the second night is spectacular.
cams
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby straw » Thu 17 Feb, 2011 11:51 pm

Nebtera I just tried to do this walk this week and whilst it is absolutely beautiful, I really struggled with it. If you can afford it, I would recommend taking as little as possible and staying at O'Reilly's/Binna Burra and buying food there as much as possible, as well as at Numinbah cafe. You can fill up water at a few creeks etc on the way if you have aqua tabs but really it was the weight of my pack that killed me and I cut the walk short and finished at Numinbah on teh second day. On the first day I got awful chafing and leeches - it bucketed down rain all day. Take plenty of insect repellant and wear tights or something under shorts to prevent the chafing. Leave early in the morning each day so you can really enjoy the scenery. I hope this helps and enjoy!
straw
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Quoll » Sun 20 Feb, 2011 2:37 pm

It is a well set up walk but can be tough in some sections - that time of year could see a fair bit of variability in the weather as well. It could be monsoonal or stinking hot (or both) so keep an eye on the weather forecasts. One thing you will know is that there is some good hills so make sure you're 'track fit' and can keep going. For a first time I'd actually recommend something a little bit easier so you still enjoy it and not be struggling in after dark.
Quoll
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby DaveGwy » Fri 25 Feb, 2011 2:48 pm

Hey Nebtera,
I haven't walked the whole track, but I've done most sections of it. March should be a good time, though it will probably be cold at night.

As someone else recommended, take lots of water. Usually 3L is enough for me for a daywalk, but on the 2nd day, where you'll be out of the rainforest, and the 3rd day, with the big climb, you may want to carry an extra 2L?

Another tip would be to get in some big (as in long distance) walks for prep - the first day, O'Reilly's to Binna Burra is 21km. This isn't really all that long, but it will start the hurt for the next 2 days, if you're not fit for it.
DaveGwy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Fri 25 Feb, 2011 5:56 pm

I'm planning on part of the walk the last week in May, How cold is it at that time of the year?
I'll be on my own, for this reason I think I will start my walk at Binna Burra stay overnight, than walk to O'Reilly's early the following day and camp there for 2 nights, before returning home. Sister lives nearby, she can drop me off and pick me up.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DaveGwy » Fri 25 Feb, 2011 6:23 pm

It will be cold! Probably would drop to 5C, maybe less depending on weather.
Sounds like a nice walk - The Border track between Binna Burra and O'Reilly's is very nice. There is great viewpoints, exhilarating fast walking and the stands of Antarctic Beech are mystical (especially with a bit of cloud through the top branches!). During your rest day at O'Reilly's/Green Mountains you should do some of the walks there - Moran's, Lightning Falls/Albert River circuit, the treetop walk.
DaveGwy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby turtle » Sat 26 Feb, 2011 11:47 am

Hi everyone,
Haven't been here for ages.
Personally would much prefer to walk in qld in May than summer.
Nice days, and usually not much rain.
The Tassie walkers would probably still call it hot.
The nights aren't overly cold. Three thin layers of a good merino/thermal shirt, a t shirt, and shell jacket outer/rain jacket should be enough even on a cool evening.
It is also cool enough to walk in long pants so the dreaded leeches are held at bay a bit. (also no chaffing!!)
turtle
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby DaveGwy » Sun 27 Feb, 2011 11:37 am

Being a Brisbanite, I'm not really adapted to the cold - so I found it really cold there!! I've woken up with ice on the tent.
DaveGwy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby under10kg » Wed 09 Mar, 2011 3:03 pm

I would suggest to go up bushrangers cave from the pass and up to the bina bura track system. This is a much nicer approach walk that the one used on the great walk. You would have to hitch along the road a bit to avoid a long road hike. THe track up is a bit off track so you need a route guide or some experience off track.
under10kg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Tue 27 Mar, 2012 4:05 pm

Planned this walk a few days after easter.
Starting at O'Riellys finishing at Springbrook.
I've read the overnight camp on the 2nd day, does not have water. Is there water nearby I can source?
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby cams » Wed 28 Mar, 2012 7:06 am

Phillipsart wrote:Planned this walk a few days after easter.
I've read the overnight camp on the 2nd day, does not have water. Is there water nearby I can source?

There is a creek you cross a couple if times not long before it. But it is in farm land so definitely needs treating.

Or the cafe in numinbah will probably fill you up. There is still some walking to do after this though.
cams

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Wed 28 Mar, 2012 7:32 am

cams wrote:

There is a creek you cross a couple if times not long before it. But it is in farm land so definitely needs treating.

Or the cafe in numinbah will probably fill you up. There is still some walking to do after this though.

Thanks Cams.

That creek your referring to, I would imagine a UV light filter should be more than sufficient in treating that water?

How far is it to the next water supply on the following day?

Trying to work out how much water I need to carry. I was thinking about taking a 3 litre platypus water reservoir and two one litre containers. Giving me 5 litres. But I wonder if this will be enough, I have not hiked that section of the great walk thus far, so I'm not familiar with the area. I've read somewhere that the walk out of numinbah valley to the camp is a very steep strenuous climb as well as the walk out of the camp on the last day.

If I need to carry more water, I will need to upgrade to my Aarn Load Limo pack. I'm hoping I can get away with my 50litre pack. I could probably squeeze an extra one litre into my 50 litre pack. It will be a tight squeeze.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby cams » Thu 29 Mar, 2012 9:23 am

Phillipsart wrote:
cams wrote:

Thanks Cams.

That creek your referring to, I would imagine a UV light filter should be more than sufficient in treating that water?

How far is it to the next water supply on the following day?

Trying to work out how much water I need to carry. I was thinking about taking a 3 litre platypus water reservoir and two one litre containers. Giving me 5 litres. But I wonder if this will be enough, I have not hiked that section of the great walk thus far, so I'm not familiar with the area. I've read somewhere that the walk out of numinbah valley to the camp is a very steep strenuous climb as well as the walk out of the camp on the last day.

If I need to carry more water, I will need to upgrade to my Aarn Load Limo pack. I'm hoping I can get away with my 50litre pack. I could probably squeeze an extra one litre into my 50 litre pack. It will be a tight squeeze.

See my second post in the thread regarding the second day. It is pretty tough if the weather is hot. 5L should be enough though. The track from Numinbah to the camp is pretty tough as it is all on fire trails. Especially at the end of a fairly big day. The walk the next day is steep as well but it is fairly short.

There is a picnic ground as soon as you get onto the plateau the next day but I don't think there was any potable water there. We just kept going and filled up at the creek back down in the valley before you get to Purling Brook Falls. Probably want to treat this too as it is below the popular swimming hole.
cams

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Thu 29 Mar, 2012 10:06 am

I'll carry 5 litres of water with me on the 2nd day and fill up when I can. I'm going to stick with the 50 litre conventional pack.

Looking forward to the day. Hopefully the weather will be fine and cool. A little bit of rain I don't mind. so long my feet don't get to cold, I'm not taking any waterproof shoes with me. All the water proof shoes I own causes blisters. I much prefer getting cold wet feet than suffering from blisters.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby under10kg » Sat 31 Mar, 2012 8:51 am

5 liters seems overkill to me unless it is very hot.
I would take some water treatment and fill up on the creek before the campsite.
Last time I was there about 6 months ago there was water in a tank at the campsite anyhow.
Lots of rain since.
under10kg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Sat 31 Mar, 2012 12:57 pm

under10kg wrote:5 liters seems overkill to me unless it is very hot.
I would take some water treatment and fill up on the creek before the campsite.
Last time I was there about 6 months ago there was water in a tank at the campsite anyhow.
Lots of rain since.

This is the confusing part, I've read online that there is no tank water at that camp. The Great Walk Topo map also lists that there is no water at that particular camp, but I've seen images of a small water tank. Not sure what conditions to expect, Hopefully the rain will stay away. Don't want to get washed away and having to cancel the walk, this alway's seams to be happening to me, everytime I've attempted to plan the great walk. Maybe this time I'll be lucky.

I'm also planning on a overnight hike in the area, a few days before the great hike with a Hammock camper that lives in the area.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sjf » Tue 03 Apr, 2012 10:05 pm

Did this walk about 4 years ago before they finished the second camp site. The walk along the road is a killer after the decent from Binna Burra. Best day in my opinion is day 3 where you climb into springbrook and the do it again !
Personally, i would only do this one in winter, and always leave early, the days are short and the kms are long.

Best of luck.

Ps. The sunshine coast walk is also excellent as a 3 day walk.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ir5uhs
sjf
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby under10kg » Wed 04 Apr, 2012 12:36 pm

This is the confusing part, I've read online that there is no tank water at that camp. The Great Walk Topo map also lists that there is no water at that particular camp, but I've seen images of a small water tank

Yep I know that they say no water but there is a tank off the toilet roof at this campsite.

You can do much of this walk as day walks and return to your car with a light pack. The route up past egg rock is not that good as you cant see egg rock at all. I would hitch up the road to the pass and go up to bushrangers cave and then up the ridge to the track system. Or go down this track if going the other way. There is tape now and then and it is steep at one point. This has a bit of off track but is pretty easy. This is a much better day than what is on the great walk.
under10kg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Wed 04 Apr, 2012 9:07 pm

Thanks for the advice all.

Im leaving first thing in the morning stopping by at the sunshine coast for 4 days hiking than of to the Gold Coast for a overnighter near binna burra followed a few days later the great walk. Ill be on my own so im going to stick to the tracks. I dont go off track on my own.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ranger-Jules 1 » Tue 05 May, 2015 4:01 pm

I think what gets to me about this walk is the fact there are no walkers camps at Binna Burra, also the fact you spend a lot of time on a *&%$#! road. We have done some of this years ago and it was awful, but I would like to attempt it again on my own. I just hate the thought of paying big bucks to stay at Binna Burra, there should be a camp somewhere down near the Bell bird clearing or near Egg rock, but I cannot remember much about the terrain there, I think it is rocky and steep, so that is why there is no camp site. Anyway I am thinking hard about doing it soon. As for the water issue, I saw a picture of a tap near egg rock, so maybe there is a tank there now, but it is a long way to carry water. I guess you can ask the shop if you can fill up. Still crazy having a walk into a camp site without a water supply. It is not a popular walk , as the Sunshine coastal one is also awful. Just tea tree swamp land that goes on and on with a few views and they keep you away from the Noosa river as much as they can. I know people that hated this walk so much they sent letters of complaint off to the Parks and Wildlife.
I would love to just go for a week and disappear into the bush. Nice and peaceful one would hope.
Ranger-Jules 1
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Nungulba » Mon 11 May, 2015 12:59 pm

How about the Echo Point to Border Loop (Richmond Gap) walk. I can guarantee that it will be peaceful, no water problems, and you will almost certainly DISAPPEAR(?) However, I can't guarantee that it will only take you a week! Cheers.
Nungulba
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Archie123 » Wed 11 May, 2016 1:18 pm

Hi guys,

we are thinking of doing the great walk over 2 days (Oreilys stop at bina burra, then bina burra to springbrook)

We are driving from Brisbane and parking at Oreilys to start the walk.

would you recommend this approach, and how would you get back to the car from springgbrook?

If this isnt the best approach, what is, or another nice 2 day hike with housed / restaurant / accommodation for the sleep over?

thanks!

Archie
Archie123
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: sad

Postby Archie123 » Wed 11 May, 2016 1:39 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the great info.

A few questions to the group:
1) Im taking a girl on a walk, we are both pretty fit. Want to do Oreilys to Bina Burra on day 1 and then finish off Bina Burra to Springbrook. 25ks per day is ok for us.

But we don’t know how to organise where to leave our sinlge car so we can get back to Brisbane on the final day.

Any help please! OR if you know / can point out / suggest another good 2 day trek in the area?

Thanks
Archie123
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: sad

Postby RonK » Wed 11 May, 2016 1:48 pm

Archie123 wrote:Hi guys,

we are thinking of doing the great walk over 2 days (Oreilys stop at bina burra, then bina burra to springbrook)

We are driving from Brisbane and parking at Oreilys to start the walk.

would you recommend this approach, and how would you get back to the car from springgbrook?

If this isnt the best approach, what is, or another nice 2 day hike with housed / restaurant / accommodation for the sleep over?

thanks!

Archie

You would have to do a car shuttle I think.
But Binna Burra to Springbrook in one day? Don't know about that.

O'Reillys - Binna Burra return probably the best option.
RonK

Postby Champion_Munch » Wed 11 May, 2016 5:44 pm

Agree with RonK - start Binna Burra or O'Reilly's, walk border track and camp at the other o/n and walk back next day. You could definitely improve the scenery by walking along Coomera Falls circuit one way and Toolona Creek circuit the other, although this will add more km's to your walk.
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Kilgus88 » Tue 24 May, 2016 1:53 pm

Thanks for these great suggestions for the walk. We want to do it in July, how do you organise the car arrangements? We want to start at O'Rielly's and finish at Springbrook over the recommended 3 days. But my husband is worried about leaving our car for the 3 days. Anyone have any ideas? Can you get there by bus?

Cheers,
Chloe :)
Kilgus88
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Platythere » Wed 26 Oct, 2016 3:17 pm

Hoping to bring this ancient thread back!

I remember seeing references to walkers campsites in Lamington national park that are not generally listed. I cant however, find any reference to them currently.

Any leads?

EDIT
Just noticed the recent thread on remote campsites in Lamington, disregard!
Platythere
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby DanHan » Mon 16 Jan, 2017 9:21 am

Hello,
Thought I would share some recent experience from the Gold Coast Hinterland Great Walk. I just returned and can confirm that there is indeed a water tank at the Woonoongoora Walkers Camp. This would have been reassuring knowledge for us!! The tank was overflowing after this weekend's rain and I think it would be a fairly safe bet that you would find water (which would still need to be treated) at that campsite if there has been some recent rainfall in the area. In drier times I would definitely carry sufficient water in from another point. We didn't find any tap or obvious water source at Egg Rock as marked on the map, but heaps of water in Nixon Creek not far from there.
The walk along the road on the second day is horrible. Be prepared for this. It almost ruined the walk for us - lucky the rest of the scenery was pretty good! The only positive along the road was the cafe in Numinbah Valley - a welcome ice cream and cold drink saved us on a very very hot day. It does close at 5pm which is good to know if you arrive late like we did. They also have a tap out the front (on the left hand side of the verandah) but I'm not sure of the water quality. If you are desperate for water at that point it might be good to know.
Be very aware of snakes - We had many close encounters. You are walking through long grass with poor visibility in parts, and the Woonoongoora walkers camp sits in a large clearing of long, thick grass. Perfect snake territory.
Otherwise the walk was challenging (distance coupled with steep downhills and climbs on day 2 in particular) but very enjoyable.
hope this information is helpful to someone researching or planning this walk!
DanHan
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby pogo69 » Mon 06 Feb, 2017 3:18 pm

DanHan wrote:Hello,
The walk along the road on the second day is horrible. Be prepared for this.

It really is a shame that there isn't a nicer way through.

I've done the GCGW twice with a couple of groups - the first, over two days hiking; the second, with a smaller group, running - and also done that stretch as part of last year's Coastal High 50 trail race. Every time, that road section sucks the soul straight out of me. Largely exposed, it is particularly bad in the heat.
pogo69
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Next

Return to Queensland