Nav training weekend

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Nav training weekend

Postby Phil Box » Sat 30 Oct, 2010 8:10 pm

FMR is putting on a nav training weekend on the 6th and 7th of November. Cost is $90. It is being held at the Karingal Scout ground at Mt. Cotton near Capalaba in Brisvegas. This course will cover the basics of map reading and compass work, grid references and just touch on lat and long as an awareness exercise only, a small amount of GPS will also be covered. From memory the session starts on Saturday about 8 in the morning. People can stay on site saturday night and then the sessions start again on Sunday morning.

Lots of practicals on Sunday with Saturday being more on theory. The weekend is aimed squarely at bushwalking club members.

Will give a report on how the weekend goes after the fact.

Hope this is OK to drop in on this forum with this advert. Mods feel free to shift or delete as you see fit.
Phil Box
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Re: Nav training weekend

Postby Osik » Sun 31 Oct, 2010 6:32 pm

Hey Phil,
sounds like a great weekend. Can't make those dates but do you know of any similar events a happening thereafter? Looking forward to the report anyhow,
R
Osik
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Northern Territory

Postby Phil Box » Sun 31 Oct, 2010 6:52 pm

Will definitely be running these next year as well. Will keep this forum informed of upcoming FMR events. The BWQ website also has a calendar of events for FMR. Bushwalking in Queensland is slowly being dragged into the 21st century and embracing net technology for disseminating info to the wider community.
Phil Box
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby cams » Wed 03 Nov, 2010 9:08 am

Do you need to be a club member to attend?
cams
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby Phil Box » Fri 05 Nov, 2010 6:59 am

cams wrote:Do you need to be a club member to attend?

No, we can sign you in as a visitor.
Phil Box
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Drifting » Fri 05 Nov, 2010 6:26 pm

come and visit us in Tassie! I could use that course.
All good things are wild, and free.
Drifting

Region: Tasmania

Postby Phil Box » Sun 07 Nov, 2010 8:18 pm

I guess we can do the course anywhere in Oz. I will be down there early in the new year.

Anyway, the course went of quite smoothly with some great feedback from participants. About 20 participants. We covered map reading, grids, a small amount of lat and long, We also touched on GPS and its relationship to grids etc. We sent the participants off to do practical exercises like pacings over a measured 100 metres, then radiating bearings and measured distances from a common point so that participants get the idea of finding their way through thick bush. We also sent them off in larger groups to find a small hill on a larger map. Professor Frank Bowling took a session on how the male and female brains differ as it comes to navigation. We have two distinct and redundant means of navigating hard wired into our brains. This is learned during our childhood. Not gunna talk any more about that as it is his lecture. Interesting stuff though. I'll hafta ask him if I can put some of that up here.

Had a bit of a social time last night too with a couple of slide shows. Frank showed the FMR Elaine Gorge trip and I showed a bit of Blackdown Tableland where I was last week. How beautiful is Blackdown, so worth spending some time up there. Will chuck up a pic of one of the waterfalls that was flowing which is a bit unusual at this time of the year.
Phil Box
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Queensland