Girraween National Park

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Girraween National Park

Postby jetjackson » Mon 18 Oct, 2010 4:57 pm

Get stuck into me if I am starting too many threads here but I wanted to specfically discuss route options for the park.

A lot of the routes are short one day routes and we like to turn them into overnighters. Last time we were there we arrived at around lunchtime after hitting up a local winery in the morning. We hiked up to the top of Mount Norman. It is an easy track up until you start the ascent. I would describe it as level 4 track. The summit is apparently doable with a bit of scramble rope. Has anyone tried this before? You simply follow the white lines to get to the top of Mt Norman. There are a couple of good flat spots up there for pitching 1-2 tents. Up to 8 people can bush camp in a group in Girraween provided you call the ranger in advance and book.

This time around I am keen to get out there early and head up to Mt Norman to arrive there mid morning, summit Mt Norman and then head down the other side of Mount Norman and across to Bald rock. I want to know if there are any tracks headed over there from Mount Norman. We don't want to buch bash it through.
jetjackson
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Girraween National Park

Postby tomh » Mon 18 Oct, 2010 5:38 pm

jetjackson wrote: I want to know if there are any tracks headed over there from Mount Norman. We don't want to buch bash it through.

Yes there is. The Hema map http://www.mapsdownunder.com.au/cgi-bin/mapshop/ZENGIR01.html is the one to get, shows all the tracks. If you 'click here for sample' the sample shows the track continuing past Mt. Norman. The tracks eventually get to all the bald rocks but there are many unsigned junctions so get the map.

Missed your first question. Yes the top is doable, there is only one awkward spot where, when going through a ~north/south rocky gully (as indicated with some white painted lines), on the eastern side wall you have to heave yourself up 1.5-2m of rock wall on to a small ledge between more rock wall and a tree and squeeze between the rock and the tree before continuing to climb. Those less agile may require a rope to help, especially on descent.
tomh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby isoma » Mon 18 Oct, 2010 8:46 pm

jetjackson wrote:Get stuck into me if I am starting too many threads here..

Well I hope this isn't another dud thread like that Mt Barney one. :lol:
isoma
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jetjackson » Tue 19 Oct, 2010 4:17 pm

Thanks guys, yeah that Barney one is really unpopular...

I spoke to the ranger today who recommends South Bald Rock for overnight camping. So looks like the plan will be to drive down to Stanthorpe and stay in a pub room on the Friday night head out to Barney early to summit Norman early in the morning. Then get over to bald rocks to set up camp and do some exploring in the afternoon and hopefully the weather will be prime for a magnificent sunset. Last time we were there it was unfortunately the wrong kind of overcast for a great sunset. Really hoping for some of those high altitude cirrus clouds that set off the sunset... According to the ranger there are fire trails that you can follow over to bald rocks without too much trouble.

Thanks for the tips on the summit Tom. When we get up there I am thinking I will get a few photos together to put together a bit of a how to get up. I know the spot you are talking about. Apparently there is a geocache on top.
jetjackson
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Queensland