Sunshine Coast Great Hinterland Walk

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Sunshine Coast Great Hinterland Walk

Postby mattyc25 » Wed 01 Sep, 2010 4:52 pm

Hi All,

Anyone done this walk?

Having trouble finding a topo map for the area. Guy at the store said it is very clearly marked and I should be fine with just the trail map off the web.

What are the sites like? The Govt website says water is available, anyone been and ensured it is?

Thanks in advance all.

Matt.
mattyc25
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Sunshine Coast Great Hinterland Walk

Postby Cocksy_86 » Wed 01 Sep, 2010 5:29 pm

I've done the Mapleton part of this walk, and yes the sites are really good with toilets and water (water requires boiling). The track is realy well marked out, but you're right, you do need a map. I order all my maps (for Queensland) through https://www.bookshop.qld.gov.au/. The product code for the Hinterland Walk is 9781742300054.

It's a great hike. Try to go after some rain as the falls will be much more impressive then.

Hope this helps.
Cocksy from Down Under
http://www.seqhistory.com
Cocksy_86
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Cocksy_86 » Wed 01 Sep, 2010 5:41 pm

Here's some pics.
Attachments
Mapleton.jpg
Mapleton.jpg (65.75 KiB) Viewed 12807 times
Mapleton (2).jpg
Mapleton (2).jpg (73.57 KiB) Viewed 12807 times
Mapleton (3).jpg
Mapleton (3).jpg (45.3 KiB) Viewed 12807 times
Cocksy from Down Under
Cocksy_86
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby cams » Thu 02 Sep, 2010 9:26 am

Just be careful with the water. If it's the same as the other great walks I've done. Water is from tanks attached to the toilet block. 3 out of 4 of them on the Conondale range walk were nearly empty when we went through. So I'd be taking any opportunities you come across to fill up. I think the documentation should say something along these lines because they can put people in a false sense of security by saying there is definitely water at each campsite.

Cocksy: Was much of the walk on fire trails? This has been my major complaint with the gold coast and conondale ones. All the good bits have been easily accessable with day walks.
cams
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby mattyc25 » Thu 02 Sep, 2010 12:33 pm

Thanks very much Cocksy and Cams.

Just what I was after.

Legends!

Matt.
mattyc25
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Cocksy_86 » Thu 02 Sep, 2010 1:34 pm

I would say 85% of it is bushwalking track. I actually prefer the fire trails myself. Not sure why. I think it makes me feel like I'm exploring or something.

There are sections where you need to walk on bitchamen to get to the next part. And yes, it's more like three day-walks rather than a three day walk. However, I've gone back to it a number of times for overnighters and day hikes. I rarely see anyone there. With the amount of rain we've had and the low amount of people that go, there should be water in the tanks. If not, there has always been water in the creeks (touch wood).

Other tips: March flies were really bad one time I went. Easily solved with insect repellant. Mapleton section is open forest so I'd suggest sun protection. When at Gheerulla falls a Red Belly Black Snake dropped from the falls right where we were sitting. I think it was embarassed or something, and just slithered away.
Cocksy from Down Under
Cocksy_86
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Fri 03 Sep, 2010 8:44 pm

Bitumen.

I'm just grateful you didn't try to spell asphalt.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Cocksy_86 » Fri 03 Sep, 2010 10:56 pm

:D
Cocksy from Down Under
Cocksy_86
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby mattyc25 » Thu 09 Sep, 2010 1:56 pm

Just a warning to all that the map described on this post 9781742300054 is not actually particularly useful for the walk.

The Queensland Government Bookshop says the map is at a scale of 1:29000 but it is actually 1:130 000.

It is also non-topographical and does not have any further detail than available on the maps available online other than the surrounding area. It will be handy for getting to and from the location.

I contacted DERM today on 1300 130 372 and apparently they have a more detailed topographical map at a scale of 1:25000.

Will see what that one looks like.
mattyc25
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Cocksy_86 » Fri 10 Sep, 2010 3:20 pm

My bad, I pointed you in the wrong direction there. I've got the 1:25000 and it's great. It has topographical lines on it and it's good because I only have to carry the one map. I picked mine up at a tourism information booth at Melany (near the winery there).

I just got back from an overnighter. I walked from Mapleton to Flaxton Campgrounds and back. I made up a quick video that will give you a better idea what the campgrounds, toilets, and track is like. (As long as you don't mind my crappy camera and directing skills).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN76ciU4cMk

There was plenty of water in the tank. So no need to worry. As long as no one else is there, I'd take the campground that is right (back to the toilet) and then left. It had a nice view and felt more like I was in the bush.
Cocksy from Down Under
Cocksy_86
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Queensland