Moreton Island & Cairns

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Moreton Island & Cairns

Postby lyndoor » Sun 19 Apr, 2009 10:39 pm

My husband & I are heading to Moreton Island in June for a spot of camping with friends. Has anyone done this trip?

We also have a week in Cairns if anyone has any ideas on some "romantic" (Ha Ha just no crocs in the vacinity, thanks!) overnight, or two walks. We are going to do Hinchinbrook another time.

Cheers

lyndoor
lyndoor
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Moreton Island & Cairns

Postby eggs » Sun 19 Apr, 2009 11:07 pm

I am aware of the big walk over Queensland's highest mountain - Mt Bartle Frere - near Cairns, but I have not done it.
I believe it can be done as a through trip one side to the other and can be paced over 2 days, but it is a walk requiring a lot of forethought due to potentially dangerous conditions on the mountain.

I have often been working in Cairns and there are lots of good short walks to be done.
The 2 big waterfalls - Barren Falls and Tully Falls are worth a look, and there are lots of walks to falls and gorges on the Atherton tablelands. I have a booklet with walks in the area called "Tropical Walking Tracks" - you may be able to find a copy up there.

There are also walks in Mossman Gorge area and the Daintree area - Mt Thornton being the big peak there, but I don't know much about access or times.

If you are not familiar with the tropics, then you need to be aware of special dangers.
Beware of the Stinging Tree - touching this will hospitalise you. [Big heart shaped leaves]
Scrub can be difficult to get through - the "Wait a While" vine could probably stop an elephant in its tracks - and in the right light you won't even notice its thin threads in the air. And of course you can get leeches and ticks as well as the Dengue mosquitoes (lots of good repellent needed).

If you have not yet planned it - snorkling on the outer reef should be at the top of the list - magic.

Brian
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby lyndoor » Mon 20 Apr, 2009 9:48 pm

Thanks for that Brian.

Checked out Mt B-F & decided to leave that for another time. As we have only a week, I think we will string together some nice day walks. The ones you mention sound good & will be on our list! Babinda Boulders sound like a lovely spot too. :D

We have done the snorkelling/scuba on the Reef some years back but could easily be tempted to go again.

Ah...the Stinging Tree, I had forgotten about that one. Good reminder & of course the vine, leeches, ticks & mozzies! I was looking forward to this, Brian!! :(
Think we might just go for "romantic" beach strolls then...crocs!

Nah, appreciate the info & really looking forward to it.

Thanks again for the ideas

lyndoor
lyndoor
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Cocksy_86 » Wed 18 Aug, 2010 5:06 pm

Last year I hiked from the bottom to the top of Moreton Island over 5 days. You can find the blog here.

http://australianexplorer.blog.com/2009 ... ober-2009/

It's a beautiful island. If I was to do it again I'd spend more time on the calm side (West) to do fishing, snorkling, and swimming. So I'd probably go up Rous Battery track.
Cocksy_86
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 18 Aug, 2010 6:51 pm

I used to go fishing off the west coast of Moreton in my cousin's boat when up there on holidays. Great fishing... love the whiting!
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby facebox » Fri 20 Aug, 2010 1:26 pm

Moreton Is - great spot.
I usually stay with a friend at Cowan Cowan (he is a permenant resident) however can relay the following from my visits.

North Point Camp ground - grassy sites, not much shade, insects (mossies, sandfly's and other various itchy bitey's) can be very very bad, esp. summer.

Mt tempest, Easy walk, hot, some times windy with flying sand can make it a bit unpleasant.

My pick is North east camping zone.

Lack of fresh water is times an issues inwinter but this winter has been very wet. I have drank fresh water straight from the creek/lagoon with no issues but don't tell DERM!

Great afternoon can be spent watching the sun set over the city from the westen beach.

I really hate all the sand though!!! Often cleaning it up months later :)

Can't think of any more at the moment.
facebox
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Cocksy_86 » Fri 20 Aug, 2010 3:10 pm

I drank from the water direct at Blue Lagoon. It looked so clean it couldn't possible be dirty...I didn't stop throwing up for two days. Sigh.
Cocksy_86
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby walkinTas » Fri 20 Aug, 2010 10:40 pm

Cocksy_86 wrote:I drank from the water direct at Blue Lagoon. It looked so clean it couldn't possible be dirty...I didn't stop throwing up for two days. Sigh.

When I saw this, after reading this, I just laughed. A level of irony here. :lol:
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby facebox » Fri 20 Aug, 2010 11:57 pm

Cocksy_86 wrote:I drank from the water direct at Blue Lagoon. It looked so clean it couldn't possible be dirty...I didn't stop throwing up for two days. Sigh.

I drank it fine, but I also eat every thing in Thailand on 2 visits and didn't get even a touch of stomach upset, no so for every one I met over there!!

As DERM advisers - be safe and don't drink it :P
facebox
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ozjolly » Mon 29 Nov, 2010 3:26 pm

In May this year I circumnavigated Moreton solo by foot in a couple of days. Started at 10am on Saturday from the barge and went counter-clockwise (south on Western beach) and reached the barge again at 8pm Sunday. I overnighted at Eagers Creek. Was some long hard walking and you get sick of the slope to the right, but it's a beautiful place so loved every minute of it. Was actually excited to walk up to the lighthouse after so much flat walking! I started off without a real plan and hence took way too much gear, including a fishing rod. But after a while I decided to do it in two days so had to lug extra stuff. Walking at night was pleasant too, not having to worry about navigation along the beach.

If looking for somewhere to camp, beware the sandflies at the north and south ends of the western beach. Middle of the island where there aren't so many mangroves seemed to be ok.

I also filtered all of my water :)
ozjolly
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby boblehcror » Mon 17 Jan, 2011 6:59 pm

I have traversed a great number of walks in the Cairns region, best so far has been the one to the top of Fitzroy Island, majestic 360 degree views and not too hard on the knees either. Most of the way you'll be walking on a road - well a steep road.
The island track used to be a loop but no they have closed off half of it so it's around a two hour return trip. You'll want to allow three hours though and take some snacks to eat at the lighthouse.
I have a blog about some of the hikes I walk, have a look one day :wink: http://www.boblehcror.blogspot.com/
boblehcror
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Queensland