Where was my camera

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Where was my camera

Postby walkinTas » Sat 10 May, 2008 9:52 pm

Did anyone take a photograph of Friday night's Sunset?

I have been in Hobart at a conference and then business in Launceston for the last three days. When I packed on Wednesday night I picked the camera up and put it down three times. I was worried about leaving it in the car all day while I was at the Conference. I didn't want to lug it into the conference either. In the end I left it at home.

Well shot me! Thursday morning's sunrise was simply superb. As I drove through the midlands without a camera I already knew I had made a mistake. Mind you, I would have been late to the conference if I had taken the camera. Thursday night as I drove over the Tasman bridge and looked up the river another superb photo went begging as a glorious golden sunset was reflected in the river.

Then came Friday night. I was heading to Launceston and the sunset was brilliant. Simply awesome. If I had driven past a camera shop I would have purchased a new camera there and then. Nature was just doing this to spite me! How could anyone travel the length of the state and not take a camera. That'll learn ya!

But nature wasn't finished. Saturday mornings sunrise was pretty damn good too. Well never again. The camera will always be the first thing packed from now on.
Last edited by walkinTas on Sun 11 May, 2008 3:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Where was my camera

Postby tasadam » Sun 11 May, 2008 7:43 am

You mean you actually put your camera DOWN?? :wink: :lol:

I did take a few photos of the sunset over our neighbours house but they're still in the camera, haven't looked at em yet. Don't know if they're a postable quality.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby walkinTas » Sun 11 May, 2008 12:07 pm

tasadam wrote:You mean you actually put your camera DOWN?? :wink: :lol:

Yes! Yes, Yes! I deserve to have ridicule and scorn heaped upon me. However, I wasn't to know, I mean a good sunset is a rare enough event, a really spectacular sunset is even rarer, but, and awesome sunset sandwiched between two wonderful sunrises in the space of 24 hours - and me without a camera - that is a *&%$#! conspiracy. ...And two sensational sunsets and three note-worthy sunrises in 48 hours! Its just unbearable! :cry: Sob! How could nature be so cruel! :cry:
Last edited by walkinTas on Sun 11 May, 2008 3:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Sun 11 May, 2008 2:07 pm

Even in the middle of the afternoon, as I was driving home from work on Thursday afternoon, I noticed some really bizarre and beautiful cloud formations (heard on the weather the next day that there was some particular cloud phenomenon reported by the BOM). I was considering going back to work to grab the work camera, but didn't. Then I heard that everyone raved about the sunset that night - somehow I didn't see it at all.

The next day was when I saw a most magnificent sunset from the supermarket. But by the time I got home it had mostly gone. :-(
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Joe » Sun 11 May, 2008 4:54 pm

Dont be too despondent folks...at work we have a term...ABS. unfortunately this forums ridiculously overcompensating swear filter will kill the term a bit...but printing thousands of photos a day you soon get tired of sunsets....so A. B. S. Another. *&%$#!. Sunset.
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Postby walkinTas » Sun 11 May, 2008 8:13 pm

taswaterfalls.com wrote:...so A. B. S. Another. {bleeding}. Sunset.

That is a little sad TW, I hope you're not really that jaded. :(

I am only miffed because nature "dared" to put on such an awesome display over two days when I couldn't access my camera (the only two days in the last twelve months when I couldn't reach my camera, *%&#, *$%@#). They were the two best sunsets this autumn, if not this year. Gorgeous even without the three sunrises. I don't think I could ever dismiss a natural display of that magnitude as passé.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Joe » Sun 11 May, 2008 9:22 pm

oooooooohh come in spinner eh?

Nah that wasn't my point...its not the sunset...its the 5 billion photos of sunsets....bit the same as Shots of Cradle taken over dove lake....everyone has one.
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

Postby walkinTas » Sun 11 May, 2008 9:35 pm

Sad! Very Sad!

Every snow flake is unique, and uniquely beautiful. No two snow flakes are every the same. Granted, that is a bit hard to appreciate when you are caught in a blizzard.
Last edited by walkinTas on Mon 12 May, 2008 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Joe » Sun 11 May, 2008 9:45 pm

Cliche != beauty....
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

Postby walkinTas » Sun 11 May, 2008 10:02 pm

And "familiarity breeds contempt", (which is itself a bit cliché). I hope you don't think I'm having a personal dig at you, because I'm not. I just think the whole ABS proposition is a little sad! Can any of us really get that familiar with natural beauty?
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tasadam » Mon 12 May, 2008 9:33 am

OK I did a search and have discovered it was actually Thursday that I took photos.
On Friday I just stood there on my verandah with a glass of wine and watched it - had to put the camera down to pick up glass of wine :wink:

Here is one from Thursday, with a bit of HDR work from a 3 image input.

tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby walkinTas » Mon 12 May, 2008 9:47 am

Nice! I am jealous.

A bit more pink than in Hobart. That golden yellow was sitting on the western suburbs and reflected in the river as I drove over the bridge.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tas-man » Tue 13 May, 2008 10:26 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:Even in the middle of the afternoon, as I was driving home from work on Thursday afternoon, I noticed some really bizarre and beautiful cloud formations (heard on the weather the next day that there was some particular cloud phenomenon reported by the BOM). <SNIP> Then I heard that everyone raved about the sunset that night - somehow I didn't see it at all. <SNIP>:-(

I was out past Exeter last Thursday afternoon and noticed the amazing cloud formations. I stopped on my way home to take this panorama.
Clouds 8-5-08.jpg

A close up detail of one cloud looked a bit like a UFO!
Cloud detail.JPG

The sunset later that day was spectacular, but passed quickly. I managed to get this remanant from my verandah at Riverside looking East towards Mt Barrow.
Sunset 8-5-08.JPG
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mickeymoo » Thu 15 May, 2008 9:07 pm

Only just noticed this thread :( I was out taking photos on friday evening and it was a great sunset down this way, actually one of the best I'v seen in a while, anyways I thought I'd post a photo I got of it :D just to make you feel that bit worse about missing out on it :twisted:

Mickeymoo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby walkinTas » Thu 15 May, 2008 10:17 pm

Thanks Michael - just what I needed :( - great composure 8) . I like Ian's clouds. I tried to find some more information on the BOM report Nik mentioned, but I couldn't find anything. I hope it wasn't a once-in-a-lifetime thing.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Between Bushwalks