OSM maps for Garmin GPS

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Re: OSM maps for Garmin GPS

Postby neilmny » Sat 11 Jan, 2020 5:57 am

tom_brennan wrote:...........Downloading data for 130 LGAs at 5 per day sounds very manageable for a crowdsourcing exercise (26 person days). If there are even a few people from NSW who could get involved, it might only take a few minutes a day for a week or so to collect all the data.

PM me if interested so we can divvy up the downloads so they don't overlap. I've requested the first 5 today.

Can someone point me at the appropriate download site. I think I can help with this too.
Is the data covered under CC4?

I read some T&C's https://maps.six.nsw.gov.au/etopo.html that look prohibitive. But maybe I am misunderstanding them or have the wrong website.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby tom_brennan » Sat 11 Jan, 2020 4:24 pm

neilmny wrote:Can someone point me at the appropriate download site. I think I can help with this too.

https://maps.six.nsw.gov.au/clipnship.html

neilmny wrote:I read some T&C's https://maps.six.nsw.gov.au/etopo.html that look prohibitive. But maybe I am misunderstanding them or have the wrong website.

Possibly, but the T&Cs are a catch-all for the SIX Maps site, which covers a lot of different services/data. We can consult with SS as to whether this data can be used for the relevant purpose.
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby andrewp » Mon 13 Jan, 2020 7:41 pm

neilmny wrote:Is the data covered under CC4?
I read some T&C's https://maps.six.nsw.gov.au/etopo.html that look prohibitive. But maybe I am misunderstanding them or have the wrong website.

I must admit that I hadn't read the t&c very carefully. Most other states use CC4. I think it would breach the following:
2 Access to Products
2.1 Unless otherwise agreed in writing by Spatial Services, you are prohibited from:
a. on-selling, or on-supplying, or sub-licensing products in any form to any other person or entity; or
d. rebroadcasting, reformatting, making available online or reconstructing products or part thereof; or
e. otherwise publishing, blending or dealing with the products.

2.2 Unless otherwise agreed in writing by Spatial Services, you may not do any of the following with the products:

a. alter, blend or combine the products or part thereof;

I'll try and follow up with SS about it.

If you download they should be in shapefile format. I'm not sure if I can deal with the data volume - it is likely to add up to 50Gb.
andrewp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tom_brennan » Tue 14 Jan, 2020 7:22 am

andrewp wrote:I'll try and follow up with SS about it.

They have in the past been willing to agree in writing to other uses for the data, so certainly worth asking.

andrewp wrote:If you download they should be in shapefile format. I'm not sure if I can deal with the data volume - it is likely to add up to 50Gb.

It's in Mapinfo .tab format, but I can convert to Shapefile via QGIS.

Based on what I've seen so far, the whole dataset is probably about 1.5Gb compressed for NSW (includes roads, parks, spot heights, point of interest etc). But the contours, hydroareas and hydrolines probably make up at least half of that.
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby tom_brennan » Tue 21 Jan, 2020 7:04 am

Thanks to a few people, I have a copy of the NSW clip and ship data. Total size is around 1.6GB (Mapinfo .tab format)

Out of interest, I extracted and merged all of the watercourses in QGIS, and exported them as a shapefile. Compressed it came to 500MB. Uncompressed it is much more - about 3GB. But that's mainly duplicate tags and empty space in the DBF file that gets compressed to nothing. Most of the tags are probably redundant for the purpose of making maps.

I assume that the contours and waterbodies are probably another GB or so.

Makes quite a pretty picture in QGIS too!
Attachments
2020-01-20 22_35_15_QGIS.png
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby andrewp » Tue 21 Jan, 2020 9:38 am

tom_brennan wrote:Possibly, but the T&Cs are a catch-all for the SIX Maps site, which covers a lot of different services/data. We can consult with SS as to whether this data can be used for the relevant purpose.

I contacted Six maps via the website feedback last week, but have not had a reply. Does anyone know a better way of contacting them?
andrewp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tom_brennan » Sun 26 Jan, 2020 8:49 am

There's a variety of contact details on https://www.spatial.nsw.gov.au/contact_us - I'm a bit surprised they haven't responded, but if you used the web form, it might be worth sending an email.
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby andrewp » Thu 30 Jan, 2020 3:45 pm

tom_brennan wrote:Possibly, but the T&Cs are a catch-all for the SIX Maps site, which covers a lot of different services/data. We can consult with SS as to whether this data can be used for the relevant purpose.

OK. I have a reply now. All good. All the data I want to use is under a CC licence so can be used in my Garmin maps.

I spoke to my contact and he was very helpful. On 22 Feb they are releasing a new range of products from the Spatial Collaboration Portal. It's partly available already - Google "nsw spatial collaboration portal" to have a look. There will be 2m contours from LIDAR. Obviously too detailed for Garmin maps. They could be filtered back to 10m, but the download would be seriously large I suspect.

tom_brennan wrote:Thanks to a few people, I have a copy of the NSW clip and ship data. Total size is around 1.6GB (Mapinfo .tab format)

What is the best way for me to get your data? Before you go converting all the mapinfo data to shape files I'll check to see if my program will read mapinfo.

Cheers
Andrew
andrewp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby andrewp » Thu 30 Jan, 2020 4:25 pm

tom_brennan wrote: Thanks to a few people, I have a copy of the NSW clip and ship data. Total size is around 1.6GB (Mapinfo .tab format)

My script reads mapinfo files just as easily as shape files, so is it possible for me to download the data?

Cheers
Andrew
andrewp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby andrewp » Thu 30 Jan, 2020 4:48 pm

tom_brennan wrote:Thanks to a few people, I have a copy of the NSW clip and ship data. Total size is around 1.6GB (Mapinfo .tab format)

By the way, I don't need all the data merged. Separate zip files for each LGA is fine.

Cheers
Andrew
andrewp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tom_brennan » Fri 31 Jan, 2020 10:44 am

Nice work Andrew, PM sent.
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby andrewp » Fri 07 Feb, 2020 5:22 pm

New versions of all OSM maps based on OSM data as at 05/02/2020. New version of VICMAP based on latest track data from VicMap.

New NSW map
Finally NSW now has all contours, cliffs and hydro from Spatial Services data. NSWSIX is redundant and has been removed.
Thanks to Tom Brennan for supplying the topo data.

Cheers
andrewp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby peregrinator » Sat 08 Feb, 2020 4:47 pm

peregrinator wrote:
andrewp wrote:
peregrinator wrote:That might read as a very subtle change, but for large parts of SA in particular, that "solid blue" always gave me a laugh when I recalled all the rock-strewn "creeks" I'd struggled to walk "in", or is it "on"?

Unfortunately I don't pay a lot of attention to the SA map. When I looked I noticed that the wide, dry river beds were rendered solid blue. Yes it is laughable. I've just uploaded a new version that renders them as brown dots.

Also for SA, I noticed that the contours data that I used only covers the 1:50k map area. No contours are shown outside this area.

Just in case there was any misinterpretation. I wasn't laughing at the quality of the cartography. Rather, I was humoured by what nature does: once in every couple of decades or so, many watercourses could be in flood. The solid blue would be most apt. Murky reddish-brown with log jams even better. So now I've got a choice of SA maps to use, depending on the weather!

Andrew, thanks as always for the most recent updates to the series. Intriguingly, the SA map this time combines solid blue and (the much more realistic) brown dots. Possibly in random fashion, unless you're just trying to see if we are paying attention to the maps you don't have any compelling reason to "pay a lot of attention to"!
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Bubbalouie » Sat 08 Feb, 2020 6:05 pm

Many thanks, I really appreciate having such regularly updated maps.

I noticed a few people asking how to use these maps on a macbook, so I thought I'd share what I do.

https://imgur.com/a/RelzGyw

Instructions below:

https://i.imgur.com/NqqRnVR.png

Create a folder using whatever name you like, place a folder called "GARMIN" in the root of that folder. Put your map files inside the GARMIN folder. I've used "OSM Feb 2020" in this instance.

https://i.imgur.com/cDdX4aM.png

Start Disk Utility, click "File>New Image>Image from Folder".

https://i.imgur.com/K5N61tk.png

Choose the folder you created in step 1.

https://i.imgur.com/Xj8IzaS.png

Create the image, you can turn on compression to save some space, though it won't be a big saving if you do (I saved about 10%).

https://i.imgur.com/INcHDZO.png

Once the image has been created browse to the new image in Finder (this will be in the same place as the folder you created in step 1). Open it with Disk Image Mounter.

https://i.imgur.com/rWTpn2y.png

You can now launch BaseCamp and use the maps as though they come from a Garmin device, you may need to wait a little while at first launch. It will be super fast by comparison & not require you to have anything plugged in when you plan your adventures.
Bubbalouie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby polas » Sat 08 Feb, 2020 8:06 pm

andrewp wrote:New versions of all OSM maps based on OSM data as at 05/02/2020. New version of VICMAP based on latest track data from VicMap.

New NSW map
Finally NSW now has all contours, cliffs and hydro from Spatial Services data. NSWSIX is redundant and has been removed.

Cheers

the quality of the new NSW map is great. my garmin is loving it :-D
thank you very much for the effort to put it all together.
cheers.
polas
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby andrewp » Sun 09 Feb, 2020 11:58 am

peregrinator wrote:Andrew, thanks as always for the most recent updates to the series. Intriguingly, the SA map this time combines solid blue and (the much more realistic) brown dots. Possibly in random fashion, unless you're just trying to see if we are paying attention to the maps you don't have any compelling reason to "pay a lot of attention to"!

Thanks peregrinator. Glad someone is awake. It looks like the error was introduced between 14-24 Dec. Looking at my notes I can't see what has caused it. It will need a bit more investigation.
andrewp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tom_brennan » Wed 12 Feb, 2020 6:33 pm

andrewp wrote:New NSW map

Fantastic work Andrew! Loaded happily on both Garmin eTrex 20 and OruxMaps on Android.
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby andrewp » Wed 19 Feb, 2020 3:42 pm

Hi all,

NEW
Maps for New Zealand. Hydro, contours, forest, scrub, scree and shingle data from LINZ. All other data from OSM.

NSW
The previous version has issues due to me merging files with duplicate IDs. You may not have noticed any problems, but I advise you to update to this version. I believe it is quicker to load.

SA
peregrinator wrote:Intriguingly, the SA map this time combines solid blue and (the much more realistic) brown dots. Possibly in random fashion, unless you're just trying to see if we are paying attention to the maps you don't have any compelling reason to "pay a lot of attention to"!

Fixed (I think).
Also added the more basic SRTM contours for the area outside the 1:50k map range.

ALL
Updated with OSM data as at 14 Feb. Changed some of the rendering and zoom levels. Forest and scrub now shown. Would welcome feedback on the colours and if it makes the other map detail difficult to read.

Cheers
andrewp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby polas » Fri 06 Mar, 2020 9:27 am

not sure if this is an error but contours are missing for wollemi (at least in basecamp). it could be something on my end though.
Attachments
2020-03-06 10_24_04-Window.jpg
polas
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby andrewp » Fri 06 Mar, 2020 5:04 pm

Thanks Polas,

You are right. Lithgow was missing contours. Not sure how that happened, but it should be OK with the next issue.

Regards
andrewp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby andrewp » Sat 07 Mar, 2020 5:50 pm

Hi all,

There's a new version of all maps using latest OSM data.

Fixed missing large water bodies e.g. Lake Barrington, Tasmania - affected the following maps: VIC, NSW, TAS, SA, NZ and VICMAP.
Surprisingly, the River Murray seems to be missing from the SA hydro data. So I've extracted it from OSM data, and used that instead.
Fixed missing contours in Lithgow LGA, NSW.

I have a quick look to check the maps with new versions, but it's impossible to find all errors, so please let me know if you find anything odd.

Cheers
andrewp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tastrax » Sun 08 Mar, 2020 2:05 pm

Is there anywhere we can donate to help you keep on top of this service?
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service
Region: Tasmania

Postby Andrew P » Fri 24 Jul, 2020 5:50 pm

Many thanks, Andrew. It took me several hours to track your most valuable repository down. Great to see that you've updated as recently as March 2020!

I was a bit disappointed to find that your NSW file didn't include ACT (contours), and that there's no separate ACT to fill the void. I'm currently downloading the KML file for 10m contours from ACTMapi's arcgis archive, but am now stuck as to what to do next. Does anyone know how to do KML -> img conversions?

Cheers (another) Andrew P.
Andrew P
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby andrewp » Fri 24 Jul, 2020 10:09 pm

Hi Andrew P from andrewp (it's a bit confusing...)

Ah yes contours, hydro and cliffs would be missing. When I started using the data from NSW SIX mapping of course there is no LGA for ACT. Not walking very often in NSW or ACT I didn't notice the omission.

I have downloaded shape files for contours and hydro data and will incorporate them into the NSW map sometime soon (I'm in Melbourne, so have a bit of spare time at the moment). ACT doesn't have any cliff data, so that will be missing.

Regards
andrewp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Andrew P » Sun 26 Jul, 2020 12:18 pm

Wow! Thanks. That will be awesome! Most of our walking is restricted at the moment, due to park closures after the fires, so we're having to get creative with where we can walk.
Contours generally provide enough warning about cliffy areas.

Cheers, A
Andrew P
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby andrewp » Tue 28 Jul, 2020 9:56 am

Hi all,

New release of all maps using current OSM data.

Main reason was to include contours and hydro for ACT that has been missing since Feb 2020 when I started using NSWSIX data. The ACT and NSW data don't match up so there is a bit of a hiatus along the border. There are no contour data for Jervis Bay Territory.

Cheers
andrewp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby IanA » Mon 03 Aug, 2020 5:06 pm

Hi Andrew

Thanks for your great work. I have recently updated my GPS from an ancient eTrex and wanted to move beyond using it just for grid ref.s while using paper maps (as paper maps are becoming a thing of he past without multiple trips to the print shop etc.) for standard walks. I downloaded some of your maps and most have been recognised fine by my Garmin, with NSW being the exception, which is a bit sad as I do most of my walking in NSW.

After multiple attempts using both direct download and via a MICRO disk I resorted to google and found a Garmin page that suggested loading a jpeg to see if the device would read that. It did so without bother, and the suggestion then is that there is a problem with the data. I haven't gone via basecamp because I have an older Mac that doesnt support current BM and the other map files show up properly and can be configured....

Is there something else I am missing?

Best regards
Ian
IanA
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby andrewp » Mon 03 Aug, 2020 9:51 pm

Hi Ian,
When you say:
I downloaded some of your maps and most have been recognised fine by my Garmin, with NSW being the exception

what exactly do you mean? Do you mean that when you go to 'Setup/Map/Select Map' that the NSW map isn't there? Or do you mean that you have enabled NSW and there is no map displayed (assuming you are in NSW)?

The NSW map on Google Drive is not corrupted. I downloaded it and confirmed that it displays OK on my etrex 30 and Basecamp.
I can only suggest that it was corrupted on your download.
Cheers
andrewp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby bernieq » Tue 04 Aug, 2020 2:55 pm

Thanks, Andrew.

IanA, the NSW map is the largest at 640,000 Kb - maybe your older GPS has a size limitation? I'm sure we can sort out the problem you're having (and being from Victoria, there's not a lot else to do :(

When you download the NSW file to your computer do you get any errors? (if so, what)
What model is the GPS?
What method do you use to copy the NSW file to the GPS? Any errors reported during the copy process?

FYI, Andrew's maps will work with any Basecamp version (not just the latest).

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby IanA » Fri 07 Aug, 2020 6:03 pm

Thanks guys; I have been a bit sidelined lately...
I have focused on the NSW map because it will be a base map for my weekend walks and when I open it in NSW it should work. The downloads sometimes come across in two bits and then seem to become one. When I have enabled the map and try to use it I just get patch in the middle and that seems to be it.
I have a GPS Map66, just acquired. My v old eTrex10 was starting to fall apart. Mostly I load onto SDcards which should easily have enough capacity. Just to be ‘safe’ I got two cards, one for east Australia and NZ, and one for the rest with a focus on WA and the NT due to planned trips up the top end.
My computer doesn’t have the right OS to support the basecamp I looked at on the Garmin site. Are there older versions available which will still run on Yosemite? It did seem that going via basecamp would help sort out the process and what might be going wrong but my 2007 Mac wasn’t going to be very useful.

I have found a legacy version of Basecamp so I will instal that and see what it reveals!?? Hopefully I will have something more specific and useful to say....
Last edited by IanA on Sun 09 Aug, 2020 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IanA
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

PreviousNext

Return to Techno-Babble