Powdered Egg

Food topics, including recipes.

Powdered Egg

Postby Kickinghorse » Thu 13 Feb, 2020 8:06 am

Noticed some previous discussion re this stuff and like many I’m always looking for new ways to spruce up the walking menu. The previous suggestion to check out Asian grocery stores for ingredients is a useful addition to the quest.
Further to this I’m thinking a couple slices of bread toasted over a stove each morning is easily achievable, using a piece of toaster gauze ( without the frame) available at camping stores. This coupled with powdered egg should be an addition to the breakfast menu even though the feed back re it’s flavour hasn’t been all that positive?
This is the gauze mentioned.

https://images.snowys.com.au/content/im ... -pack.jpeg

Phil
Kickinghorse
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Re: Powdered Egg

Postby ChrisJHC » Thu 13 Feb, 2020 1:16 pm

If you’re going ultra-light, just use a Y-shaped stick for your toaster.
Hold the tail of the Y and balance the bread on the head.
It should last for 2-3 slices of toast before starting to burn. If not, you will probably find another one lying around.
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby flingebunt » Thu 13 Feb, 2020 6:03 pm

I tend to toast my bread in the frying pan. Just put the bread in the hot pan without any oil.

Results are....okay. Better than nothing.

I will have to try the toaster gauze. Might rig up some sort of light supporting structure so that the toast is not resting on the gauze.
flingebunt
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Bushman_Craig » Wed 29 Apr, 2020 3:04 am

Kickinghorse wrote:Noticed some previous discussion re this stuff and like many I’m always looking for new ways to spruce up the walking menu. The previous suggestion to check out Asian grocery stores for ingredients is a useful addition to the quest.
Further to this I’m thinking a couple slices of bread toasted over a stove each morning is easily achievable, using a piece of toaster gauze ( without the frame) available at camping stores. This coupled with powdered egg should be an addition to the breakfast menu even though the feed back re it’s flavour hasn’t been all that positive?
This is the gauze mentioned.

https://images.snowys.com.au/content/im ... -pack.jpeg

Phil

A couple of weeks back I picked up a kilo of powdered eggs and a couple of kilos of some dried mixed veggies from Settler's Foods in QLD. I've made a few breakfast omelettes with it and have stored half of what's left and frozen the rest. Link to purchase - http://www.settlersfoods.com.au/product/egg-powder-1kg/
Bushman_Craig
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby GregG » Wed 29 Apr, 2020 4:25 pm

So Bushman, how far does a kilo of powdered egg go, how much does one use to make an individual serve of scrambled egg or omlette? I guess this a how much bang-for-your-buck sort of question. And did the Settlers brand egg taste OK?
Thanks,
Greg.
GregG

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Old bushie

Postby crollsurf » Wed 29 Apr, 2020 9:20 pm

I like eggs but cringe at the thought of powdered eggs. You can get plastic 2 and 6 egg carriers on eBay that work well if the eggs aren't 60g or bigger. I glad wrap them just in case they break and can boil without wasting the boiled water, i.e Coffee.

Fried or scrambled with powdered Milk, a mild Salami like Gyulai, Comte cheese and Mountain Bread makes for a decadent UL breakfast plus all will last a week or longer.

I should buy some powdered eggs and give it a go but yeah. Might try and hydro some yokes only. That might be OK.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ofuros » Sat 02 May, 2020 10:01 am

Since our supermarkets seem to have stocks back to normal, toi!let paper, flour, pasta etc...it shouldn't be too long before the powdered egg will back on the shelves.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Stew63 » Sun 31 May, 2020 9:36 pm

I can confirm powdered egg is total crap and disgusting/putrid. But there is alternative product I often use - Ova Easy egg crystals (not 'powdered') and they are delicious and taste authentic. I made/tested OvaEasy by making each family member an omelette and they couldn't tell the difference from fresh eggs. 1x128gm packet equals 12eggs (but I reckon it was more like 10eggs) I divide them up into smaller portions in ziplock bags as required. They're Made in USA but I bought them from a website in NZ. Sorry if this sounds like marketing - it's not and I have no affliliation with the brand/sales.
Attachments
OvaEasy.jpeg
OvaEasy.jpeg (11.46 KiB) Viewed 39245 times
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby ofuros » Wed 03 Jun, 2020 8:52 am

Whoa...Ova Easy is expensive. They'd better be good. :wink:
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ofuros » Wed 03 Jun, 2020 10:24 am

Arrowhead Bay & Hoosier Hill Farm (US) also makes egg crystals...
Last edited by ofuros on Wed 03 Jun, 2020 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nuts » Wed 03 Jun, 2020 10:26 am

They are good! But expensive and Iv'e had them stopped by customs twice (before giving up). The first time needed a statutory declaration that it was egg!
Tried Farm Pride egg again and it's not as tasteless & anemic as it once seemed.

These guys look interesting (similar method to Ovaeasy?): http://austegg.com.au/shop/allproducts/ ... gg-powder/
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby ofuros » Wed 03 Jun, 2020 10:57 am

Nuts wrote:They are good! But expensive and Iv'e had them stopped by customs twice (before giving up). The first time needed a statutory declaration that it was egg!
Tried Farm Pride egg again and it's not as tasteless & anemic as it once seemed.

These guys look interesting (similar method to Ovaeasy?): http://austegg.com.au/shop/allproducts/ ... gg-powder/

:lol: Sounds like it might be easier, cheaper, though heavier, to pack a couple of real chook eggs if I fancy a morning scramble.

I'd prefer a Aussie manufacturer, but I'll order some egg crystals just to try once...& keep my fingers crossed as they head through customs. :wink:
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nuts » Wed 03 Jun, 2020 11:27 am

Take the chook?, it wont be recognised behind the covid mask, in scrubs and booties & can carry it's own eggs!
I did get some Ovaeasy (small quantity) from NZ as well at one stage. They came through fine.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ofuros » Fri 12 Jun, 2020 6:42 am

Crossing my fingers must have helped...the egg crystals passed through aussie customs. :shock:
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby adg » Wed 04 Nov, 2020 12:03 pm

Yep, mine got through too... They actually got here a week sooner than estimated. Aus customs must have some free time on their hands.
adg
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 12 Nov, 2020 3:14 pm

Farm Pride make powdered eggs. They have advised that they no longer sell to supermarkets and that the eggs are available in packets of four, $25 plus postage equals $38. https://store.farmpride.com.au/ In the past I've put a few spoonfuls of egg powder in a plastic bag and carried that on a trip, with no spoilage.

As an alternative, Backcountry have a similar product https://store.farmpride.com.au/, $13.90 plus postage equals $19.30. Similar products are available in some bushwalking shops. https://www.paddypallin.com.au/back-country.html $17.95 It's unclear if the eggs an be taken out of the pack and put in a plastic bag like the Farm Pride eggs.

Does anyone have experience with this product or comments about powdered eggs?
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Eremophila » Thu 12 Nov, 2020 3:21 pm

I don't mind the Backcountry scrambled egg. A little goes a long way - it's kinda like a volcano coming out of the Jetboil if you're not careful!

I did experiment with some dried bacon bits, dried herbs and some of that delightful powdered parmesan cheese.... but it was too rich and salty. Bleh.
Eremophila

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 12 Nov, 2020 8:02 pm

Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby headwerkn » Fri 13 Nov, 2020 8:04 am

Not quite eggs on toast, but we make dehydrated scrambled eggs with polenta, the latter aiding the drying and rehydrating process massively. Works surprisingly well, rehydrates within 10 mins in a ziploc bag and Repack... soft, fluffy, tasty and surprisingly filling... the polenta isn't really tasted but adds a 'bready weight' (does that make sense?) that is very satisfying.

Still yet to find bacon bits locally, but some chopped up salami mimics a full eggs n bacon breakfast without the mess/fuss.
headwerkn

Postby flingebunt » Mon 14 Dec, 2020 3:24 pm

headwerkn wrote:Not quite eggs on toast, but we make dehydrated scrambled eggs with polenta, the latter aiding the drying and rehydrating process massively. Works surprisingly well, rehydrates within 10 mins in a ziploc bag and Repack... soft, fluffy, tasty and surprisingly filling... the polenta isn't really tasted but adds a 'bready weight' (does that make sense?) that is very satisfying.

Still yet to find bacon bits locally, but some chopped up salami mimics a full eggs n bacon breakfast without the mess/fuss.

You can also make a mix of flour and egg. It sort of gives a french toast flavour to the eggs, and is extra nice with barbecue or tomato sauce.
flingebunt
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MeanderingFlyFisher » Mon 14 Dec, 2020 3:35 pm

I had to order the 4 pack of 150gm from farm pride for $38 which turned up today.
A bit too much for me but will sell 1 or 2 packets @ $9.50 plus postage if anybody was interested or can be picked up in Warrnambool.
Use by date of 2 Sep 22
MeanderingFlyFisher
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Eremophila » Mon 14 Dec, 2020 9:28 pm

PM sent.
Eremophila

Postby Heremeahappy1 » Mon 14 Dec, 2020 9:47 pm

@headwerkn The egg/polenta seems worth a shot. Can you provide a few more tech details for prep? I've dehydrated for years, never explored eggs, only used pre- packaged commercial products much to my own disappointment as I would prefer to utilise the duck and chicken eggs from home.
I've found home made bacon, vac sealed and frozen in the middle of a pack stays good for 3-4 days. Only recently realised wrap frozen goods in an insulated sleeping mat holds the cold even for even longer. Found this out after unpacking my mat at the end of a warm day and it was still icy cold from a pre-dawn pack up - makes sense. Sometimes I feel a little slow...
Heremeahappy1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Bush Tucker