New Pelion Hut via Walls?

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

New Pelion Hut via Walls?

Postby Ezmay » Sun 06 Apr, 2008 12:37 pm

Hello people, my friend wants to a do a walk into Pelion and said there is a track near Walls of Jerusalem. I can't find any info on the net about it. Can anyone help with this? Cheers
Ezmay
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Re: New Pelion Hut via Walls?

Postby walkinTas » Sun 06 Apr, 2008 3:10 pm

If you are just walking to Pelion you can head in along the Lees Paddock Track (Tasmap CATHEDRAL 4236 - 41 49.99'S 146 11.57'E). The track up from Lees Paddock takes a bit of finding, but basically you walk north from Lee's hut to a point where the creek meets the hill. There is a sign on a nearby tree.

You can also walk in on the Arms River Track (Tasmap Rowallan 4237 - 4` 47 530'S 146 09.755'E). The first 100 meters in altitude is a reasonable walk, but the second 100 meters in altitude is very steep. That is the hardest part of the walk though. Once on-top it is a pleasant walk.

If you want to walk to the "Walls of Jerusalem" and then on to Pelion, then one choice is to walk back out the "Walls of Jerusalem Track" and then take the "Junction Lake" Track. This track starts about 750 meters above the Trapper's Hut. See here.

I believe it is also possible to walk down the Jaffa Vale to lake Ball, and then walk out to the Junction Lake Track. I met a couple at Dixon-Kingdom Hut who had walked that way, but I have no knowledge of the conditions. I don't think there is a marked track, but I'm not sure.

Either way, once you are on the track, you follow it to Junction Lake. Then referring here you will read that you can cross the Never-Never to pickup the overland track. There is not a recognized track through here, so you might need to get advice from those who have walked this route.
Last edited by walkinTas on Sun 06 Apr, 2008 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mowser » Sun 06 Apr, 2008 3:24 pm

The Arm River Track is one access route into New Pelion. Access to the track is similar as access to the Walls track. Both tracks are located near Lake Rowallan however there is still some distance between starting points (about 40mins drive as a rough guess). To access Lake Rowallan you'll need to drive through Mole Creek from Deloraine and then follow the signs from there. The Arm river track takes about 3-4 hrs for most people.
There is also the option of walking in to Lees Paddocks and heading up to New Pelion from there. This route is a bit trickier in that the walk from the paddocks is uphill through forest, so navigation is important.
Another option is to walk in through the walls and through the Never Never to meet the overland track at Harnett Falls. This route does take considerably longer than the others. John Chapman's Cradle Mt-Lake St. Clair/Overland Track guide books are a good source of information.
A good circuit is to start at the Walls and head through the never never to the overland then walk on to Pelion (do Ossa on the way) and out through the arm river. You would want to give yourself 6 days or so to enjoy this.
Mowser
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby corvus » Sun 06 Apr, 2008 3:59 pm

ezmay the advice from mowser and walkin tas is good and I recommend that you friend gets a copy of John Chapmans book as mentioned , it covers all options to get to New Pelion "Oakleigh View" in detail as well as heaps of other useful information about walks in this area.
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby Son of a Beach » Sun 06 Apr, 2008 5:01 pm

I agree with all the posts above. The Arm River Track is definitely the most direct route into new Pelion at about 4 hours (and is a good track to boot - just a bit steep near the beginning). The start of this track is quite a long way from the Walls though, so this may not be what your friend means.

The Lees Paddocks and Reedy Lake tracks start from a few km down the road from where the Walls track starts, so maybe this is what your friend means. It joins on to the Arm River track towards the Pelion end. It is about 1 hour longer than the Arm River track, and can be a little harder to follow in one or two spots if it hasn't had much use lately, but it's another great way into new Pelion. (Another option is Lees Paddocks then follow the Mersey to just past Kia Ora Creek, then up the hill to the Overland Track and back track from Kia Ora to Pelion. But this is not recommended if you are not very familiar with the area. The Kia Ora Creek section in particular can be steep and scrubby and the route itself is quite long. Makes a great circuit though.)

The Never Never is a great walk if you have a couple of extra days up your sleeve. I've not done the walk from the Walls to Junction Lake, but I've done the Never Never itself, (via Moses Creek track, I think?) from Junction Lake to Hartnett Falls then to new Pelion. It's a lot longer than the Arm River or Lees Paddocks routes, though, and requires a few days to do a circuit or through route. If you have enough time, the Never Never is a beautiful walk. However, there is no track to follow a lot of the way, and although the route is not difficult to follow even without a track, you would need to be reasonably experienced with navigation.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Ezmay » Sun 06 Apr, 2008 5:39 pm

Thanks for all your info!
Ezmay
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby tasadam » Sun 06 Apr, 2008 7:49 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:I agree with all the posts above. The Arm River Track is definitely the most direct route into new Pelion at about 4 hours (and is a good track to boot - just a bit steep near the beginning). The start of this track is quite a long way from the Walls though, so this may not be what your friend means.

Ditto to everything.
I suspect your friend means the Arm River track. The start is not near the Walls if you are walking, but if you are driving, you head in toward the start of the walk towards the Walls but turn off just after the bitumen finishes. It's a nice walk, too.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby Ezmay » Mon 07 Apr, 2008 11:57 am

What is the arm river track like condition wise...muddy etc?
Ezmay
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 07 Apr, 2008 12:07 pm

Ezmay wrote:What is the arm river track like condition wise...muddy etc?

I've only seen one section of significant mud since I've started using the Arm River Track, and it was very short (although fully leg deep on my wife - I wish I got a picture!). From memory, this was a little after getting onto the Pelion plains area, where a section of duck boards stopped and was immediately followed by a very short section of mud.

There's duck boards over all the other sections that look like they used to be bad. The track is in very good condition other than that, and quite easy to follow most of the way. Mind you it is rough in places (roots, rocks, tufts of grass, etc), but no more than most other tracks. It's not boards and gravel all the way.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby walkinTas » Mon 07 Apr, 2008 1:10 pm

Ezmay wrote:What is the arm river track like condition wise...muddy etc?

I have only walked on the Arm River track to Lake Ayr. The track was good up to there (but that was in summer). As I said above, the hard part is the uphill section at the start when you climb up onto the plateau. If you are just walking to get to Pelion, then this is the shortest walk.

If on the other hand you are walking for the scenery then the Lee's paddock walk is very beautiful. It is a bit longer, but the climb is not as steep. The track up through the forest is marked with yellow pointers on the trees. It is just a little bit hard to find the start of this track out of the paddock. (There is a sign on a tree near where the creek meets the base of the hill).

To find the Arm River track you need to take the second right turn just after Lake Parangana (before you get to Lake Rowallan). If you take the Lee's Track you are looking for a gate on the right hand site of the road about 1.8 Km before the end of the road (C171).

Here is a map of the area (updated - Thanks Corvus).
Attachments
pelionMap3.jpg
pelionMap3.jpg (192.7 KiB) Viewed 13294 times
Last edited by walkinTas on Wed 09 Apr, 2008 10:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Mon 07 Apr, 2008 1:14 pm

Arm river track now has boardwalk on all the muddy sections
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Ezmay » Mon 07 Apr, 2008 1:41 pm

Thanks again everyone :) I'm loving this forum! So friendly.
Ezmay
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby corvus » Mon 07 Apr, 2008 5:42 pm

walkinTas the second hut you have marked on your map is "The Reg Wadley Memorial Hut" not McCoys.
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby DaveNoble » Mon 07 Apr, 2008 5:43 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:
The Never Never is a great walk if you have a couple of extra days up your sleeve. I've not done the walk from the Walls to Junction Lake, but I've done the Never Never itself, (via Moses Creek track, I think?) from Junction Lake to Hartnett Falls then to new Pelion. It's a lot longer than the Arm River or Lees Paddocks routes, though, and requires a few days to do a circuit or through route. If you have enough time, the Never Never is a beautiful walk. However, there is no track to follow a lot of the way, and although the route is not difficult to follow even without a track, you would need to be reasonably experienced with navigation.

There is a track all the way down the Never Never from Junction Lake to Hartnett Falls - however it is faint in places and can be hard to follow (eg in snow or after a wet spell - when the river flats can be covered by water). The tricky bit is when to cross the river (when the track on your side gets faint - and the one on the other side is better). Navigation is not too hard (you are after all staying close to a river - so its hard to get lost) - but it is hard to work out exactly how far you have gone (eg "are those the real McCoy Falls?" - there are quite a few small waterfalls along the way)

There are also high level alternatives - that are off track, but not too hard in terms of scrub or routefinding.

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby walkinTas » Mon 07 Apr, 2008 6:58 pm

corvus wrote:walkinTas the second hut you have marked on your map is "The Reg Wadley Memorial Hut" not McCoys.
corvus

Thanks Mate. This one?
Attachments
P1065822.JPG
P1065822.JPG (43.23 KiB) Viewed 13323 times
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 07 Apr, 2008 7:02 pm

DaveNoble wrote:There is a track all the way down the Never Never from Junction Lake to Hartnett Falls - however it is faint in places and can be hard to follow (eg in snow or after a wet spell - when the river flats can be covered by water). The tricky bit is when to cross the river (when the track on your side gets faint - and the one on the other side is better). Navigation is not too hard (you are after all staying close to a river - so its hard to get lost) - but it is hard to work out exactly how far you have gone (eg "are those the real McCoy Falls?" - there are quite a few small waterfalls along the way)

There are also high level alternatives - that are off track, but not too hard in terms of scrub or routefinding.

Dave

Thanks for the clarification, Dave. I've only done that walk once, and it was a very long time ago, so my memory must be a tad vague. I thought I'd better err on the side of caution, too. :)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Mon 07 Apr, 2008 8:11 pm

wT thats the one :D
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 11 Apr, 2008 7:33 am

The Wolfram Mines (and other mines) posts were getting numerous enough to deserve their own topic, so they've been split off to HERE.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Tasmania