Running Creek Falls

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Running Creek Falls

Postby dis » Sun 05 Mar, 2017 9:39 am

So, I finally got around to re-attempting this one yesterday (04/03/2017) and can finally check it off the list. Such a beautiful waterfall so it was worth the effort.

This is a serious undertaking for a single day. We entered from Gap Creek Road, and then dropped down into the valley from the Stretcher Track. In total, a 22.6km / 10 hour slog with some incredible difficult terrain. The slog down from the Stretcher to the junction of England and Running Creek took a little over 2 hours, is difficult to follow and is seriously overgrown with Lawyer Vine and Gympie Gympie (YES, I got stung and it is not pleasant to say the least).

Enjoy the photos.
Attachments
falls.jpg
Running Creek Falls
falls3.jpg
Running Creek Falls
river.jpg
Rock hopping
snake.jpg
Python digesting a possum
gps.png
Our route and total endevour
dis
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Running Creek Falls

Postby ofuros » Sun 05 Mar, 2017 7:52 pm

Sounds like you had a big day, the falls are
worth it though...and that python looks
like it's had a decent meal. :o
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Link » Fri 07 Jul, 2017 12:31 pm

Hey mate!

Did you have to obtain permission to cross any private land?
Link
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby dis » Sat 15 Jul, 2017 7:42 pm

Link wrote:Hey mate!

Did you have to obtain permission to cross any private land?

Nah. No permission needed if you enter via the stretcher track. Only need permission if you enter via the farmland at the end of running creek road.
dis
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Aardvark » Sun 08 Apr, 2018 6:11 pm

Challenging way to visit the falls. Congratulations. I often make a circuit out of it. The England Ck section is an easier route to keep on the ascent. Sounds like you struggled on the descent if it took you two hours. I can appreciate the difficulties. There is a particular cliffbreak you need to find to make it quick.
Ever on the search for a one ended stick.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby dis » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 12:05 pm

Aardvark wrote:There is a particular cliffbreak you need to find to make it quick.

Yeah we got lost a few times. At the time of this, there was no real signs of any tracks and any tape / markers found were far, far between. Ascent was much simpler.
dis
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Aardvark » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 9:38 pm

I find it worrying the trend to placing tape on off track routes and not removing it. I have followed many a route i know in recent years to return to my car with pockets chock full of tape.
The biggest bug bear i have here is the attitude of the person having placed the tape. By not removing the tape,it can only be presumed that you are lazy OR you have the arrogance to assume you are doing others a favour by marking tracks. 90% of the time the route is obvious to any regular off track walker because of the path of least resistance and the often clear signs of travel. It is a skill you acquire over time to be able to track something.
The use of tape, as i have always been educated is to assist you temporarily if you have doubts about your ability to recall your route.
I think it's important that people should take out what they take in. Remember from a navigation perspective that others may want to take on the challenge of following an off track route. It is an often overlooked skill by those who don't walk off track or only walk occasionally and don't appreciate the need for some to hone those skills. These people need to read the topography and need to develop a sense for what the likely route is going to be. It also comes from an understanding of the animals (people mostly, maybe cattle, deer etc) who ply the route and how they would likely tackle various obstacles.
I see it as another symptom of a growing population and therefore more people who think everywhere needs to be signed, and manicured and made safer.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby mitchyditchyramarama » Sat 02 Nov, 2019 7:53 am

This hike is particularly vicious and requires a high level of
Fitness. I started the hike near the cottage accommodation/cafe
and quickly found the entry gate on a steep hill on a farm road up the road
I meandered uphill to avoid direct elevation as its very steep to gain access
To the stretcher track, found the side trail down to the river on right easily because
I was looking for it.Descended to river base, lantana is thick here.( Needs machete work.)
Crossed river and followed farmland trail. Reached falls in 4hrs, lost for words
very beautiful indeed. Those ribbons will
Guide you in and out BUT, on the return leg. Retracing my steps, I reached the final
river crossing but couldn’t find the track again. So I found a ridge and stuck to it,
Ridge slowly got steeper and steeper until I was basically rock climbing to ascend
This nasty ridge. Got a nice view overlooking the start point and slowly scaled back down,
Started at 7 am , finished at 4pm. Take heaps of food , at least 3l water. Tell a reliable person
Your intentions.
Attachments
6E8FB018-7744-48C7-A674-3C7CE760D8DF.jpeg
Last edited by mitchyditchyramarama on Sat 02 Nov, 2019 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
mitchyditchyramarama
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby ofuros » Sat 02 Nov, 2019 9:25 am

Sounds like a mission, but worth it. :wink:
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby mitchyditchyramarama » Sat 02 Nov, 2019 11:04 am

Was very organised, thanks you for sharing notes and experiences. It’s
Very helpful
mitchyditchyramarama
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby dalehikes » Mon 04 Nov, 2019 12:38 pm

The falls have definitely seen better days. I was back there in the middle of winter and they were flowing much better than this..

Well done on a tough hike though.
dalehikes
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby dis » Thu 05 Dec, 2019 8:49 am

Glad you found the notes helpful.

Last time I visited these falls, we went via the Rimfall Cottage farmlands. It makes the hike a lot easier as it cuts out the ascent / descent. The owners are very accommodating to hikers, just ensure you request permission and let them know your intentions before arriving :)
dis
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby izzeho » Sun 05 Jan, 2020 5:33 pm

Completed this hike solo today from Stretcher Track as a bit of a scouting mission for leading others for an overnighter. The rockhopping was pretty straightforward, not much more challenging than Larapinta Falls. The falls and swimming was spectacular. I made the mistake of completing the hike far too quickly (6 hours including a swim), and reached the ascent of that damned mountain around midday. Definitely agree with the above poster to contact Rimfall and go in that way, the climb up the stretcher really doesn't add much value.

Plenty of water still in the creek and at the falls.

Definitely don't attempt this hike if you're not confident with rock hopping. Or snakes. So many snakes.

I've uploaded the route to Wikiloc, but there's much more accurate routes available than mine. Does anyone have coordinates for where the campsite is supposed to be? The National Parks page gives qtopo coords, but these seem way off given they're passed the junction with England Creek. I spotted a couple of places prior to the junction that are viable, but wondering if I missed something.
izzeho
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ofuros » Sun 05 Jan, 2020 6:18 pm

Good to see there's water still flowing over the falls....the campsite is only a small cleared area overlooking the England Creek junction.
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby dalehikes » Tue 07 Jan, 2020 11:58 am

The campsite is on the north bank of the England creek junction. Half of the campsite was washed away during cyclone debbie, now there is little more room than to fit a hammock.

3 months after the cyclone went through I saw a large chunk of land half split away from the camp site, clearly obvious it was part of the cleared site. This chunk has since washed away also...
dalehikes
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby izzeho » Wed 08 Jan, 2020 1:36 am

dalehikes wrote:The campsite is on the north bank of the England creek junction. Half of the campsite was washed away during cyclone debbie, now there is little more room than to fit a hammock.

3 months after the cyclone went through I saw a large chunk of land half split away from the camp site, clearly obvious it was part of the cleared site. This chunk has since washed away also...

Interesting... and explains my confusion. Also interesting National Parks will still take your money for a 'campsite'.

The other clearing in further downstream in the palm trees looked viable, and I believe might be what was mentioned by in the bushpeoples guide to SEQ. I spotted at least one site that had been cleared there.
izzeho
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Aardvark » Wed 08 Jan, 2020 3:39 am

'Interesting... and explains my confusion. Also interesting National Parks will still take your money for a 'campsite'.'

Now that's hilarious.
There ARE well established campsites dotted around various national parks. Then there are recorded 'off track' national park campsites (with just a grid reference). Like along Main Range NP Qld for example.
Then there is 'camping in a national park'. A cleared site or not.
I've been visiting Running Ck since the early eighties. That spot at the junction of England Ck just came about because someone just cleared enough vegetation for a tent. It has never been much more than that.
The bureaucracy does not have to provide facilities or even establish a site for camping to cover 'camping in a national park'.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby izzeho » Tue 17 Mar, 2020 9:21 pm

Returned as promised, fair bit more water coming down now. Was difficult to even approach the falls with the amount of wind, waves and water coming off it.

Couldn't get a shot from the same rock again as it was underwater! Rather than rock hop the ~3 km to the falls, I had to follow the route that skirts the entire creek from the cairn the first crossing all the way to the branch to the falls. It was all well cleared and lots of markings (including some very early metal signs). This was a little disappointing as it misses some amazing gullies and falls - I consider myself lucky the access I had with drought conditions.
izzeho
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby carryless » Mon 08 Jun, 2020 10:35 pm

Has anyone explored running creek south branch? It looks like you wouldn't get up to the border as the cliffs close in, but it looks like it's quite a gorge with some decent cliffs to it, I'm thinking of taking a look in the near future.
carryless
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby ofuros » Tue 09 Jun, 2020 6:26 am

Message dis, the original poster of this thread he may be able to help... :wink:

Teaser...overlooking the South Branch's wild valley.
https://ofuros.exposure.co/black-snake-ridge
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby dalehikes » Tue 09 Jun, 2020 12:22 pm

ofuros wrote:Message dis, the original poster of this thread he may be able to help... :wink:

Dis and I have done a few expeditions together up that creek in the last few years.
The allure of the creek is the adventure into the unknown so ill keep specifics absent. :lol:

You can choose a pleasant half day or full day epics (12 hours+). Creek starts out easy but gets quite arduous in sections, especially after rain.
If you choose an epic day allow a full summers daylight, expect significant obstacles and expect to get very wet. For the most intrepid an extremely difficult obstacle is encountered. At this point you will be gassed and stretching your time limits, time to turn around.

Be sensible with time constraints and go with a team you know is of similar fitness.
dalehikes
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to QLD Trip Reports & Track Notes