South East Queensland Guidebooks

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

South East Queensland Guidebooks

Postby dalehikes » Mon 28 Oct, 2019 7:39 am

Hi all, so guide books regularly come up in conversation and the usual trio are the first to be mentioned - Take A Hike, Bushpeoples Guide and Secrets of the Scenic Rim.

I have managed to collect quite a few more, and though I would show them in case anyone was hunting for more obscure titles. Some of these were incredibly hard to come by!

Let me know if you need some info!
Attachments
guide books.jpg
dalehikes
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Re: South East Queensland Guidebooks

Postby CBee » Mon 28 Oct, 2019 7:59 am

Nice collection. Secrets of the Scenic Rim is a fantastic guide, similar to Chapman's books, you could read it over and over. What is the Mt.Barney Guide like (top right)?
CBee
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby dalehikes » Mon 28 Oct, 2019 12:06 pm

CBee wrote:Nice collection. Secrets of the Scenic Rim is a fantastic guide, similar to Chapman's books, you could read it over and over. What is the Mt.Barney Guide like (top right)?

It's a good read for historical purposes. Most of the routes are still exactly the same and have barely changed. Contributions by many people not just one author. Good data like seasonal weather (different to modern times) and other heights etc.
dalehikes
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby CBee » Mon 28 Oct, 2019 5:34 pm

Nice. I also suggest Rankin's "Beyond the Horizon" to bushwalkers. Nice read of his adventures and stunning photos of Mt. Barney and Main Range (also Western Arthurs and other areas).
CBee
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby dalehikes » Tue 29 Oct, 2019 8:28 am

CBee wrote:Nice. I also suggest Rankin's "Beyond the Horizon" to bushwalkers.

Yes that is an incredible book, so too is the precursor to that 'On the edge of wilderness'. Just a lot harder to find.

Of course we can't mention South East Queensland books without the classics which are must reads. 'Green Mountains' by Bernard O'Reilly and 'One Mountain After Another' by Arthur Groom.
dalehikes
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Lyrebird » Tue 29 Oct, 2019 4:24 pm

Impressive :D . I have seven of those. Still chasing Lackner's Green Mountains guide; I have the Binna Burra version. The Mount Barney Guide looks really interesting! Does the Walkers' Guide to SEQ's Scenic Rim have anything unique in it? I hadn't struck it before.
Lyrebird
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby dalehikes » Wed 30 Oct, 2019 5:23 pm

Lyrebird wrote:Does the Walkers' Guide to SEQ's Scenic Rim have anything unique in it? I hadn't struck it before.

There are lots of places mentioned in the book that have fallen out of popularity, for no reason other than when popularity of hiking dropped, the knowledge of the places became far less known.

If you carefully read every sentence in the book, incredible secrets are within. One place I went to is mentioned in that book and nowhere else and it's spectacular!
dalehikes
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Lyrebird » Thu 31 Oct, 2019 6:41 am

Interesting, thanks. I'll keep an eye out for it. I found the same thing with the Lackner books, which clarified several mystery trails.
Lyrebird
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby dalehikes » Thu 31 Oct, 2019 8:17 am

Lyrebird wrote:I found the same thing with the Lackner books, which clarified several mystery trails.

They certainly do! They pack a punch for such a small book!
dalehikes
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Queensland