Training for technical climbing

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Training for technical climbing

Postby Tanya9 » Fri 13 Sep, 2019 9:37 am

HI guys
Devonport or NW area.

I'm about to step it up a notch or two and look at some of my fears (hights) and this requires me to be familiar with and have some sound basic technical climbing skills.

Below is an outline/extract of what I need to be competent with. Also I need to gain confidence in ladder crossings. I can simulate something in my back yard as a start by increase hight and my pack weight then decrease supports etc.

ESSENTIALS.
Going up: Find 60 to 70 degree angle terrain and set up a rope with 4 to 5 different anchor points. You will have a Jumar for going up on our right side, you should also have a sling with a screw gate carabiner (safety line) on the end to place above the jumar and on the left hand side of your harness. You do not want the jumar going higher than your nose when fully tight.

Going down: Again you will want your safety sling with carabiner on the fixed line,this should be kept above the figure of 8 as you abseil down. You need to be comfortable abseiling using a figure of 8 and learning to flip the figure of 8 over once you reach each anchor point, learn to keep the safety tight as you find the next abseil. Once you have found the rope and you are safe with the figure of 8 to abseil, then and only then do you take the safety line off and place on the rope you are abseiling on.
As this is a serious venture for me I require a suitably trained and experience person.
"ATTITUDE AT ALTITUDE"
Regards Tanya
Tanya9
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Training for technical climbing

Postby doogs » Fri 13 Sep, 2019 9:49 am

By the sounds of it you are looking for someone to help you train for some basic Himalayan climbing?

I don't know of any suitable courses in Tasmania and it's probably out of the scope of any of the bushwalking clubs within the state to do such training as part of their activities. The only suggestion I would have is to look at some snow skills courses in NZ or you may get lucky and find someone who may volunteer to help you.
Do you want to build a snowman?
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tanya9 » Fri 13 Sep, 2019 10:15 am

Thanks for your reply and opinion and you yes it is in the Himalayas
I know I'm up again it but I'm time rich!! Thanks, Tanya
Tanya9
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Xastorm » Fri 13 Sep, 2019 2:13 pm

Have PM’d you :)
Xastorm
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Postby Joel » Fri 13 Sep, 2019 7:29 pm

book a day with Gary Phillips.

https://www.rcat.com.au
Joel
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tanya9 » Fri 13 Sep, 2019 8:02 pm

Thanks Joel looks like a good place to start. I will contact Gary. Cheers!
Tanya9
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Aardvark » Sat 14 Sep, 2019 1:43 pm

When i did a ten day technical mountaineering course in 2000 i found it a good short cut to years and years of practical experience, in terms of the amount of knowledge imparted.
The years and years of practical experience has to be followed up on in order for it all to become second nature.
Anywhere you learn the skills associated with technical climbing will have a slightly different approach to another area. Don't underestimate NZ. It is close for us and backcountry conditions there teach you to do alot of things with minimal gear. The distance between huts or facilities of any kind usually means carrying more overnight gear than you would in Europe for example. The space available for climbing gear is therefore a bit more limited.
NZ trained climbers get a good deal of credit when overseas.
Ever on the search for a one ended stick.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Tanya9 » Sat 14 Sep, 2019 2:11 pm

Hi Aardvark I appreciate your take on the longer training session in NZ. It sounds practical and sensible. Thanks ! Tanya
Tanya9
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Aardvark » Sat 14 Sep, 2019 3:30 pm

I should add that you may get a sizeable discount on a course if you work in an outdoor store. That connection can make getting some of the gear more affordable.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tanya9 » Sat 14 Sep, 2019 4:46 pm

Thanks for the tip off but I don't work in an "adventure" area, just play there. Can you recommend a technical climbing/mountaineering company in NZ?
Tanya9
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Aardvark » Sat 14 Sep, 2019 5:29 pm

Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Aardvark » Sun 15 Sep, 2019 10:38 am

When i was in scouts as a youngster i took my ropework seriously and kept in touch with my knots. Clove hitches, square lashings and the like have always been utilised building things for my birds.
The TMC showed me the usefulness of the alpine butterfly and the 'Z' pulley systems. These have been incorporated in my daily activities too.
Tying loads on the ute and performing functions in the garden ensure i remain familiar.

In short, you should never underestimate the usefulness of the knot.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Neo » Sun 15 Sep, 2019 8:22 pm

Do a search for alliepepperadventures.com
She does a variety of trips and how-to courses, likes to go ice climbing for her own holidays :)
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Tanya9 » Sun 15 Sep, 2019 8:26 pm

Thanks Neo for that reference point, will follow up on that cheers
Tanya9
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Osik » Mon 16 Sep, 2019 4:45 pm

Hi Tanya, agree with what’s been said above, but just want to add that I think the way of getting the most out of any course is to already have some basic skills. Ie. Do a day or two with someone who knows what their doing ie, Gary or Allie, then practice the skills with a partner/s, then do a longer course, then practice again...etc.
In addition to learning some basic climbing skills some of Tassie’s local caving clubs would also be an excellent place to start learning some useful rope skills while getting into some pretty interesting places! Speaking as a climber, from your description of the skills that you’re hoping to acquire it sounds like basic rope competency & getting comfortable with exposure is more important than technical climbing skills so caving will definitely help with that too!
Osik
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Northern Territory

Postby Tanya9 » Tue 17 Sep, 2019 2:49 pm

Thank you Osik. You have put another slant (excuse the pun) on increasing my roping experience. You are correct I believe, in what you say about roping not so much of the climb and defiantly exposure and competency with roping. Thank for your interest and suggestions.
Tanya
Tanya9
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Tasmania