Tassie Legends

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Tassie Legends

Postby Nuts » Thu 18 Jul, 2013 10:33 pm

Eric is a Legend. I can think of a few people who are immensely experienced. Old timers like eric on the OLT (i once heard an account of their LSC to Qtwn trip, an epic back in those days) Old mates have done the POW, Franklin Solo, Around Tas Kayak (which sounded mostly solo :) )... I guess they aren't really legends unless they have reached some form of media though? (actually I seem to recall an article abt Eric, perhaps in Wild??)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby tas-man » Fri 19 Jul, 2013 3:25 am

peter-robinson wrote:
tas-man wrote:
peter-robinson wrote:Thanks that looks like a great film. It seems the DVD is also available through the national film archives. (Horrid looking URL but it seems to work ok)
http://colsearch.nfsa.gov.au/nfsa/searc ... resCount=1

They produce copies on demand at VERY high prices. The last time I asked about getting a DVD copy of a film I was quoted $120 and I had to obtain the permission of the copyright holder before they would supply.

Yowza! I was imagining you could borrow it or go there to view it

You can arrange to view a copy at no cost at the National Archives, or arrange for a viewing at your nearest state library. I have done this on a couple of occasions in the past, but it takes time and patience - you have to have run out of all other options to view a film to go down this road. :wink:
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nuts » Fri 19 Jul, 2013 6:44 pm

Nuts wrote:Eric is a Legend. (actually I seem to recall an article abt Eric, perhaps in Wild??)

The article was a feature in 40* South, however, an interesting general article and some further info about Eric here:

http://wildsight.com.au/main/page_featu ... track.html

As I understand it he brought the safari idea from an African safari but unlabelled at the time it was the start of 'nature based' tourism in Australia (shortly followed by Willis's walkabouts in the NT).. anyhow, I have some great recollections, probably worth respecting his modesty for anything not already published.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ando » Sat 09 Nov, 2013 12:58 pm

Keith lancster diaries is an excellent read in his early expeditions he left launceston by pushbike to desired locations to go on and climb a mountain and return in the same day.Marvelous display of robust fitness .
don't worry about tomorrow for today has enough worries of its own
Ando
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Genesis » Sat 09 Nov, 2013 3:03 pm

RSD wrote:Henry Hellyer?

Proud to be related to this man :) albeit distantly.... :lol:

Genesis
Genesis
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby vagrom » Tue 17 Dec, 2013 11:58 am

There's a great little photo exhibition on at the Launceston Art Gallery till 25 May, called Into the Wild. Wilderness photography in Tasmania since the beginning, following the famous names including Thwaites, Truchanas and on to Blakers and Bell. The Lake Pedder slide show is stunning. The original cameras used by Truchanas and Dombrovskis along with the latter's tent are also on display and famous photo of the former's plastic tent with groundsheet pitched in the Arthurs. Terrific, in the true sence of the word. This guy knew how to sleep rough :shock:
You can see it all in an hour. Really well put together. Queenstown's massive blast furnace bucket pouring ....copper(?) -from early lantern slides of the west.

Visit the Scout Shop around the corner if you're visiting Tas. Like the camping shops we used to know before the glitz, a small shop with friendly service and some good stuff with gas cylinders, Aku boots and well built Fairydown (canvas?) packs, up to 85 litres and plenty besided. Friendly chap with plenty of local info.

Heading off now to walk from Deloraine to Derwent Bridge then hitching down to Frenchmans to see Dick's boardwalk. Three weeks to kill- great to back after 4 years.

Cannon notes in a humorous aside, in last Saturday's Mercury that the projected Wellington to Wilderness track is now unlikely to go any further. The market's saturated with long walks. Good point tho' a pity. Most of it already appears to be there. It was going to connect to Maydena and/or the Snowys apparently. Looking at the 1/25k, there's a section from the Mt Styx access road that would have to be cut eastwards to Wellington Park.
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: WalkingSA, Frnd Cleland/Bushcare, Alltrails
Region: South Australia

Postby north-north-west » Wed 18 Dec, 2013 6:50 pm

vagrom wrote:There's a great little photo exhibition on at the Launceston Art Gallery till 25 May, called Into the Wild. Wilderness photography in Tasmania since the beginning, following the famous names including Thwaites, Truchanas and on to Blakers and Bell. The Lake Pedder slide show is stunning. The original cameras used by Truchanas and Dombrovskis along with the latter's tent are also on display and famous photo of the former's plastic tent with groundsheet pitched in the Arthurs. Terrific, in the true sence of the word. This guy knew how to sleep rough :shock:
You can see it all in an hour. Really well put together. Queenstown's massive blast furnace bucket pouring ....copper(?) -from early lantern slides of the west.

Ooooo, I have to see if I can make the time (and find the money) to get up there. Thanks.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Chris » Wed 18 Dec, 2013 9:30 pm

Nuts wrote:Eric is a Legend. I can think of a few people who are immensely experienced. Old timers like eric on the OLT (i once heard an account of their LSC to Qtwn trip, an epic back in those days)

There is a 2 page article about him in Australian Geographic #61 (Jan-Mar 2001) p.116. It includes his memories of the LSC - Elson Range - Queenstown walk. Maybe it's old enough for me to scan and post here with a clear conscience?

I walked the Overland track with Eric in December 1976. He was great, unlike the weather, but it was still a wonderful walk. I did it partly to help me get fit for my second trek in Nepal (with Ausventure, led by Warwick Deacock), and was surprised and pleased to find that Eric was also on that trek. Wonderful company which included Tenzing Norgay - if only I could remember all the stories, they had such fantastic experience between the three of them. Eric was indeed a quiet, modest man. Is he still around?
Chris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Chris » Wed 18 Dec, 2013 9:37 pm

north-north-west wrote:
vagrom wrote:There's a great little photo exhibition on at the Launceston Art Gallery till 25 May
You can see it all in an hour.

Ooooo, I have to see if I can make the time (and find the money) to get up there. Thanks.

You must. But you may need more than an hour. I've been 3 times so far and will be back again before it finishes :)
Chris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby gorby » Wed 18 Dec, 2013 9:53 pm

any of the early trappers, Reeds, Youds, Lees , Howes, McCoys, Basil Steers etc. They cut in many tracks and maintained the plains and also built the huts that we still use.
gorby
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nuts » Thu 19 Dec, 2013 6:28 pm

Chris wrote:
Nuts wrote:Eric is a Legend. I can think of a few people who are immensely experienced. Old timers like eric on the OLT (i once heard an account of their LSC to Qtwn trip, an epic back in those days)

There is a 2 page article about him in Australian Geographic #61 (Jan-Mar 2001) p.116. It includes his memories of the LSC - Elson Range - Queenstown walk. Maybe it's old enough for me to scan and post here with a clear conscience?

I walked the Overland track with Eric in December 1976. He was great, unlike the weather, but it was still a wonderful walk. I did it partly to help me get fit for my second trek in Nepal (with Ausventure, led by Warwick Deacock), and was surprised and pleased to find that Eric was also on that trek. Wonderful company which included Tenzing Norgay - if only I could remember all the stories, they had such fantastic experience between the three of them. Eric was indeed a quiet, modest man. Is he still around?

I'd really like to see that Chris, that was after my time so i'm not sure who was involved but had heard that there was a more recent article.
That sounds like an amazing experience, not only one of the early Craclair trips but also your Nepal trek in such company. I can imagine such fond memories. There must be something about a lifetime in the mountains that humbles such people to shape them how they are. I once met Jamling Tenzing Norgay, you see the same in the Sherpa people. Strong, empathetic, Good people.
Last edited by Nuts on Fri 20 Dec, 2013 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Thu 19 Dec, 2013 6:50 pm

I was reading about Arthur D. Fergusson (ranger fergy), i'd heard of his efforts around the park but he sounds a bit of a character. Accident prone, he nearly killed himself when he managed to catch fire boating on the Derwent, spent time up a tree to escape being eaten in Africa. He probably deserves to be a part of this group.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Chris » Thu 19 Dec, 2013 9:19 pm

Nuts wrote:Thanks for sharing Chris. I will track down the article if you can't copy it to here.

No problem Nuts (barring possible copyright problems of course :) ).
ES1.jpg

ES2.jpg
Chris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nuts » Thu 19 Dec, 2013 9:30 pm

Ha. Thanks Chris.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby vagrom » Tue 31 Dec, 2013 11:54 am

Happy New Year Chris, North-West and all :wink: Great to be beating the mainland heat down here in uber cool Tassie.
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom

Postby flyfisher » Thu 02 Jan, 2014 4:13 pm

Reg Hall.
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby stepbystep » Tue 21 Jan, 2014 9:04 pm

A pretty remarkable gallery here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tasmaniana ... 326929496/

Most photos by Jack Thwaites. *&%$#! fantastic!
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stepbystep » Tue 21 Jan, 2014 9:57 pm

The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Overlandman » Sat 15 Jun, 2019 9:25 am

Happy 91st Birthday to Eric Sargent :D
Spoke with Eric during the week
He is going okay and still regularly kayaks
Slowed down with the walking.
Regards OLM
Whatever, Wherever, Whenever
Overlandman
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Nuts » Mon 17 Jun, 2019 10:06 am

Peanut butter powered- legend! :)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sloz » Thu 27 Jun, 2019 10:30 am

Let's not forget Goodwin and Connelly, the two convicts who successfully escaped from Sarah Island in the 1820s and traversed the great western wilderness armed only with a compass for navigation. Both of them made it to eastern settlements. Connelly was never seen but Goodwin was caught, then made a free man when they realised the colony could actually use his skills.
An account of their journey has been documented by CJ Binks in Explorers of Western Tasmania.
sloz
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Mountain Gypsies Association

Postby Overlandman » Sun 30 Jun, 2019 9:42 pm

Fran Lee
Fran turned 90 today celebrating her birthday with family & friends
She last completed the Overland Track at the tender age of 85 and regularly goes bushwalking.
Regards OLM
Whatever, Wherever, Whenever
Overlandman
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby vagrom » Mon 22 Jul, 2019 7:09 pm

An early 1908 Central Plateau trip: from Higgs to Cynthia and back around to Jackey's Marsh. From HWC on F/book today.
Also known as The Lake Country and ( part of? ) the Western Highlands. By Nic Haygarth, with period photos of pines before th 60's fires.

" Twenty-seven-kilo packs barely provisioned them for the five days of tramping ahead ... "

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... ob50wuLlfA
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom

Postby eggs » Mon 22 Jul, 2019 9:30 pm

Great read and photos vagrom

I'm pretty sure his Courier Lake is a largish unnamed lake on the List just north-west of Lake Kellatie embedded on the eastern side of the Mts of Jupiter. [Lake height 1134m]
None of the lakes match the physical description of roughly 3 miles long and 3/4 wide.
Lake Meston [or Adelaide or Louisa] are more apt to that description.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tortoise » Mon 22 Jul, 2019 10:17 pm

Overlandman wrote:Fran Lee
Fran turned 90 today celebrating her birthday with family & friends
She last completed the Overland Track at the tender age of 85 and regularly goes bushwalking.
Regards OLM

She's certainly a great inspiration to me. Now and then I ask if she'd like to do another overnighter, but she rather likes her bed at home these days. But maybe one day...
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby vagrom » Tue 23 Jul, 2019 4:16 pm

Yes eggs. Great shots that well convey a sense of history - the old black and white landscapes and likely origins of present place names, like Mt Spurling among others.

Kellatie seems to be the way they went and has a little island in it's north-east corner.

I wondered if it was Lake Ball but can't see a matching island on Listmap.

It would be good to find the locations of shots 2 to 4 today for before and now shots in black and white. The "Pine River Divide" I guess runs up the Bernes Valley to Lake Ball with the Great Pine Tier to it's north. Forty kilometers a day is a good clip.
Last edited by vagrom on Tue 23 Jul, 2019 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom

Postby north-north-west » Tue 23 Jul, 2019 4:32 pm

Yes, that must be the north western side of Payanna, although the island looks so much like the one in Lunka.
Last edited by north-north-west on Tue 23 Jul, 2019 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby eggs » Tue 23 Jul, 2019 4:38 pm

The Courier Lake [photo 4] is north of Kellatie.
I believe the view is as shown and the circled items are the give aways.
Courier Lake.jpg
Angle of view

Courier Lake image.jpg
Items for correlation
Last edited by eggs on Tue 23 Jul, 2019 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby eggs » Tue 23 Jul, 2019 4:47 pm

Photo 3 is near Lake Lexie - a little north from it.
Very close to the route we took.
Near Lexie.jpg
Looking south towards Lake Lexie - the 2 higher areas [not Mt Jerusalem] match those in photo 3

PS - Mt Jerusalem is just jutting above the high area in the back of their photo

Adding the lake I think it is
Above Lexie.jpg
Small tarn north of Lexie - the rocks and islands match up

Above Lexie map.jpg
Map showing relation to Lexie
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Tue 23 Jul, 2019 4:59 pm

From there down to Laura would have had some interesting bits.

I was not that far south of that lake while heading east, and not far west of it when turning from south to west. All pretty open country and easy walking for the most part.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

PreviousNext

Return to Tasmania