Walking off trail in NP

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Walking off trail in NP

Postby Lyrebird » Sat 22 Jun, 2019 8:31 am

There is actually a thread running on the main page on this topic: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29343
Like here, there's a lot of concern and no actual solutions. At the end of the day we're all responsible for conducting ourselves as we see fit, and there's a wide range of views on how to do that!
Lyrebird
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby daintreeboy » Tue 02 Jul, 2019 4:29 pm

OP I would forget about asking the national parks about anything, the rule around here is the less said the better. They usually know next to nothing about their area. I live not far from you everything is local knowledge knowing who to talk to.
daintreeboy
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby trekker76 » Sun 21 Jul, 2019 8:39 pm

misty_d wrote: Rolling your eyes at somebody who’s asking you a simple question is a sure-fire way to get off to a bad start. Be it on a forum or in real life. Especially when you’re the one looking for info, and the person you’re rolling your eyes at could theoretically and potentially know far more about Bellenden Ker than you do.

mate I'm guessing you are pretty young. The roll eyes was because most of your post was redundant. If you had read the whole thread, most of your questions would have been answered. But you shouldn't take it too personally.
Being so isolated geographically and from outside interference, Bellenden Ker is effectively the equivalent of a ‘pink zone’ in the Great Barrier Reef. Hence why it has such high ecological value that deserves to be protected from the degradation that hundreds (maybe 1000’s) of trekkers inflict on high traffic hikes like Bartle Frere. Especially when you have numerous long term scientific studies and experiments occurring that could potentially be damaged by irresponsible individuals.

Bellenden Kerr is not like a pink zone in the reef, which means no-go area. Its a public access national park, a 'green zone' in effect, with access to hikers, and again this was verified by the rangers, in the above discussion.
FYI; I can read just fine thanks. I also have an uncanny ability to read between the lines.

Maybe try reading the actual lines instead of going in between them next time. You missed what the rangers verified in the thread. Id also suggest reading up on national park zones.
Last edited by trekker76 on Sun 21 Jul, 2019 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby trekker76 » Sun 21 Jul, 2019 8:44 pm

daintreeboy wrote:OP I would forget about asking the national parks about anything, the rule around here is the less said the better. They usually know next to nothing about their area. I live not far from you everything is local knowledge knowing who to talk to.

Hi mate, very true. But I asked in this case as I intended to post some pictures online and needed to know it was allowed to camp up there. I needed an official answer so to speak. And got one, as per earlier in the thread. Looks like no problems. Anyway I had to shelve this expedition for a while due to work away, but looking to get up there in the next month or two. The cool weather will be a plus as well 8)
trekker76
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Previous

Return to Queensland