Questions for Mt. Barney veterans

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Questions for Mt. Barney veterans

Postby CBee » Wed 26 Jun, 2019 4:02 pm

I wanted to ask to Barney experienced bushwalkers:
1) Do you know of a decent way to get on upper Barrabool ridge from Old Hut site, for the purpose of bypassing the West Peak summit?
2) Is the water source west and down from Barrabool peak reliable in winter?
Thanks.
CBee
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Re: Questions for Mt. Barney veterans

Postby Aardvark » Wed 26 Jun, 2019 6:51 pm

InkedDSCN5558_LIPHOTORESIZERCROPRESIZEANDSHAREIMAGESINBATCH626201962109PM.jpg
West Peak, north side

A challenging route. Some scrambling to do and some vegetation to fight. It will not do any good to summit west peak unless you're then going to descend the chimney to Savages ridge. The simplest route from Rum jungle (saddle between west and east peaks) is to leave the clearing on the west. Ascend a few metres and when it levels out, veer northward to ascend a vegetated line to the ridge between West peak and Bippo Pk (midget ridge). There is no easy pad all the way. Just stay as high as you can without being caught too high on exposed rock. Once on the ridge, cross straight over and scramble down and around to the saddle with Barabool.

InkedDSCN9985.jpgcopy_1024_LIPHOTORESIZERCROPRESIZEANDSHAREIMAGESINBATCH626201964514PM.jpg
West peak from near to Bippo Pk

As for water near to Barabool. I wouldn't count on it in winter. Unless it has rained alot recently. Winter is the dry season after all.
Ever on the search for a one ended stick.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby CBee » Wed 26 Jun, 2019 8:27 pm

Thank you Aardvark. The reason for my question is: the plan is to ascend Savages and continue on Barrabool. But we will camp either at Old Hut or Barrabool peak. We'll need possibly some water.
By looking at your photos, looks like the best way is a descent from West Peak summit to Old Hut, camp and get water and go back to the summit to start the proper descent into Barrabool ridge.
Do you think this make more sense?
CBee

Postby Aardvark » Wed 26 Jun, 2019 10:16 pm

DSCN9923.jpgcopy_1024.jpg
Burrajum Pk from Savages
InkedDSCN9918_LIPHOTORESIZERCROPRESIZEANDSHAREIMAGESINBATCH626201994248PM.jpg
Moving toward Savages Pk

Old hut? I am assuming you're referring to the hut that existed below Rum Jungle back in about 1975.
And that you're only need to be there is to get water.
The two photos shown here are in Nov 2017. There had only been a few mm rain a day or so beforehand. It is normally a higher rainfall period then.
This current rain could be a good sign. It would depend on when you're going.
Before the saddle with Burrajum Pk was good water flowing down the rocks, toward the saddle. It was still about 15-30m above the lowest point. We basically crossed it on the way to Burrajum (not recommended). It is relatively easy walking to get to that water. You just walk westward off Savages and curve around toward the south following clearings in the brush and trying to stay on the rocks. It is off track and a little scrubby. That little detour could save you going over west pk etc.
The way i usually approach the saddle with Barrabool is in fact from Savages. The photo here with the coloured spot shows where i would roughly leave to go down and around to the saddle. It is basically before the final ascent to West Pk.I'm not saying it is easy. It is however easy enough for a good scrambler with a nerve for using ledges, a little vegetation and descending slabs.
Other than that, the need for water is likely to send you on your already stated plan.
Ever on the search for a one ended stick.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby CBee » Thu 27 Jun, 2019 8:00 am

Ok. Yes old hut meaning the camping spot down from Rum Jungle with the little creek nearby. For what I can gather, Barrabool ridge normally would be reached from Savages, before the start of the chimney.
I think the concept of the combination of the two as a whole trip, is not a good idea given the dry season. Next water source would be Barney creek, a long way. And probably doing this as day trip is a bit of a stretch. Thank you for all the infos and photos, much appreciated.
CBee

Return to Queensland