When our favourite bush spots become ‘Instafamous’

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Re: When our favourite bush spots become ‘Instafamous’

Postby johnw » Thu 07 Mar, 2019 2:29 pm

Pteropus wrote:
johnw wrote:...as you know RNP is also close to me geographically and emotionally. I have also experienced in recent times the very same issues of concern that you raise. ...

John, yes, I'm waiting to hear about the Nasho! I haven't been back for quite some time.

Ah the Nasho! Reminds me of a now ageing (like me) female cousin as a teenager who would always say she was "going to the Nasho for a pasho". My recent visits haven't been too frequent, mainly over last winter. Probably do the same this year and visit autumn/winter/spring when it gets quieter and/or favour the more remote inland tracks/routes. Been too hot for me this summer and as noted in discussion it's getting more crowded than ever in the popular spots along the coast track where I'd normally park. Often hear weekend radio traffic reports that Wattamolla etc are full and closed to traffic. Crowds are not my idea of fun and much of the Coast Track has now been dumbed own with extensive raised walkway. Last time I walked a circuit from Wattamolla via Marley Trail and Lagoon I think it took me roughly 75 minutes to cover about 10 km. That was not rushing either and included some off track exploration.

We all have some impact on the environment. My observation is that there are quite different groups who are taking photos and posting them on whatever platform. That includes me, but I pretty much only post them on here, and I rarely appear in them. I have absolutely no interest in other social media such as Facebook etc. For those who are using popular social media platform there are those with a genuine interest and appreciation of the places they visit and are simply sharing and who may also seek to promote the need to protect them, like Zapruda. Then there is the "look at me" Darwin Award nominee group, who I perceive to have little or no interest in the environment or its preservation. I think they may actually see the walking component as an impediment or hindrance to their actual goal, which often involves some sort of irresponsible risk taking - e.g. Wedding Cake Rock and to a lesser degree Figure Eight Pools. Some time ago I posted here of my experience of observing those going to the latter, but for different reasons. I believe it symptomatic of an overall type of behaviour that hasn't invaded our natural areas until recently. I don't know what the solution is but I don't believe putting up more fences and other monstrosities or restricting access (those things will be ignored anyway), is the answer. One observation is that those involved are frequently not locals but often overseas tourists, backpackers etc.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby potato » Wed 10 Apr, 2019 8:48 am

I know of an account just like this here in Aus:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... s-hate-you
potato
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Huntsman247 » Sat 22 Jun, 2019 7:33 pm

Not here in Oz. But I'm sure we've all seen pictures of this rock ledge in Norway.
But a slightly wider view is telling to how it's been affected.
https://www.instagram.com/p/ByqTWcvAXyz ... md32kukzv4
Huntsman247
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Hughmac » Sat 29 Jun, 2019 7:15 pm

I'm with Ribuck, let natural selection do its job.
Hughmac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby michael_p » Sun 25 Aug, 2019 6:31 pm

Just thought I would post this.

Walked past Wedding Cake Rock today and the original fence has been replaced by a newer fence. The new fence is higher and sloped, and it appears to be doing its job. Only one person was on the wrong side of it.

I think I read somewhere else on this forum that there where two fences. Well now there is just one. Where the older fence has been removed there is a row of ugly holes scaring the rock. Talk about how to ruin an area. Also, the massive increase in traffic is causing the white rock around that area being discoloured, it is now a grey colour not the stunning white it used to be. Makes me angry. :evil:
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnw » Mon 26 Aug, 2019 1:43 am

michael_p wrote:I think I read somewhere else on this forum that there where two fences.

Correct Michael, I visited it only a few weeks ago - see below. I wondered whether they may remove the outer fence, but couldn't see any indication at that stage.

http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=6027&p=379539&hilit=wedding+cake#p379539
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Zapruda » Mon 26 Aug, 2019 7:28 am

I have never been to Wedding Cake Rock but I cant believe how unsightly that fence is. People are the worst...
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby michael_p » Mon 26 Aug, 2019 8:50 am

Thanks John, couldn't remember where I had seen it.

Referring to Johns photo. Every one of those posts from the first fence you can see in the photo has left a hole in the rock. You can also see how discoloured the surrounding rock has become with all the foot traffic. Also, the new fence makes it harder to see the rock as the top of the fence is at eye height (at least my eye height).

On the plus side it was a cracking day for walking along the Coast Track yesterday.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Zapruda » Tue 27 Aug, 2019 9:07 am

A very relevant and interesting video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNrg4tXPWCA
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Previous

Return to Bushwalking Discussion