Lightweight Titanium Mug ???

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Lightweight Titanium Mug ???

Postby flywire » Tue 23 Apr, 2019 8:21 pm

Just found a nice less than half price Titanium Mug on Aliexpress like I wanted: 750ml, 128g. Dropped my 750ml (800ml?) stainless steel mug on the scales - 127g. WT *$&#?

Sure, my mug just has a side handle and no lid (I use alfoil), and I hate scrubbing the char off it. My cooking gear is complete with a 22g stainless steel spoon.

Think I'll stick with the $5 kit.
flywire
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australia

Re: Lightweight Titanium Mug ???

Postby Lamont » Tue 23 Apr, 2019 8:47 pm

Yep, lids aren't always a lightweight option. Add a stainless one to your pot would probably end weighing 170. Also some ti stuff is UL, some not. Not all ti stuff is equal. The cheaper stuff is cheaper often because it is not UL because it is not the high grade and lightest titanium.
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=29576
Last edited by Lamont on Wed 24 Apr, 2019 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Wed 24 Apr, 2019 8:21 am

Yeh I use my Toaks 750 ml as both pot and mug, has handles and lid and weighs about 100g I think. And since i use a titanium plate (with slightly raised edges to double as a bowl) for eating i can ditch the pot lid and just rest the plate on top for cooking. As Lamont says I think you pay extra for decent quality.
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Thu 25 Apr, 2019 10:17 am

Walk_fat boy_walk wrote:As Lamont says I think you pay extra for decent quality.

Sorry, not quite what I was trying to say. :D
What I was trying, clumsily, to say is to get that particular 'quality' (trait/characteristic-the lightest Titanium in this case) you often have to pay more.
To get a similar 'overall weight' see some Aluminium pots.
Case in point --https://dutchwaregear.com/product/imusa-cook-pots/
IMUSA pot Aluminium 0.7Litre, USD $5,-yes $5! and..... 75 grams. Bargain. Beat the hell out of it, reshape it whatever, then recycle it. Excellent.
Evernew pot Titanium 0.76 Litre, $47 USD and......69 grams. Excellent and lighter than the IMUSA and excellent quality, no doubt about it.
But worth it? Who knows?
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/

Postby Snooze » Thu 25 Apr, 2019 2:08 pm

Just don't try and make popcorn in a titanium vessel. The burn marks can't be scrubbed out. :cry:
Snooze
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby Orion » Thu 25 Apr, 2019 3:06 pm

Snooze wrote:Just don't try and make popcorn in a titanium vessel. The burn marks can't be scrubbed out. :cry:

It's not that difficult. Some technique is required.

IMG_3407.JPG
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Huntsman247 » Fri 26 Apr, 2019 7:00 am

Orion wrote:
Snooze wrote:Just don't try and make popcorn in a titanium vessel. The burn marks can't be scrubbed out. :cry:

It's not that difficult. Some technique is required.

IMG_3407.JPG
Do you use oil or butter?
Huntsman247
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Orion » Fri 26 Apr, 2019 2:38 pm

Olive oil. I don't think that's the key though. The trick to make it work is simple: just keep it in motion the whole time. That distributes the heat. The first time I made popcorn in that pot I burned it. Snooze is right that the burn marks are basically impossible to scrub out.

I've come to prefer olive oil to butter for popcorn. When I pop it it at home I use olive oil.

And if you look carefully at that photo you'll notice why cooking inside the tent can be potentially hazardous.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Snooze » Fri 26 Apr, 2019 11:12 pm

Seeing all that beautiful popcorn in your photo made me wonder if "a bad craftsman was blaming his tools". If only I'd shaken the pot a bit more.
Snooze
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby crollsurf » Wed 19 Jun, 2019 11:35 am

Just discovered the Soto Thermostack Mugs which I think is a great UL solution. I'm pretty sure they're new and I'll probably buy it in the next day or two... after I stop telling myself I already have too many cook sets.
Its the best setup I've seen for anyone who likes a hot drink in the morning or a soup at night and needs 2 pots from time to time to cook dinner.

https://drop.com/buy/soto-thermostack-mug?utm_source=linkshare&referer=PB6EWP
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mark F » Wed 19 Jun, 2019 4:41 pm

flywire wrote:Just found a nice less than half price Titanium Mug on Aliexpress like I wanted: 750ml, 128g.

So you got the weight of 2 for half the price of one (good one). :lol:

Only a couple of companies can do proper lightweight (read thin) Ti. I have a few Evernew pieces that show what is possible. My regular 900ml pot (modded with bail handle) is 66 grams + 3g for the lid, another pot of 760ml capacity is 60 grams (no lid)
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby ribuck » Wed 19 Jun, 2019 8:20 pm

Mark F wrote:My regular 900ml pot (modded with bail handle) is 66 grams + 3g for the lid

I'm interested in how you added the bail handle. That's the only thing that's stopping me moving to a smaller/lighter pot.

I have the Toaks 750ml bail-handled pot and it's perfect in every way for cooking over gas or wood - except that I don't need a pot that big. However, I've never seen a smaller bail-handled pot for sale.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mark F » Wed 19 Jun, 2019 10:44 pm

ribuck wrote:I'm interested in how you added the bail handle. That's the only thing that's stopping me moving to a smaller/lighter pot.

Wide and shallow pots are not really suitable for bale handles but the Evernew ECA265 is 118 diameter by 105 high and initially weighs 84g without the lid. This pot also has the advantage of an internal rim allowing a disk of Reflectix to work as a lid (3 grams).

I removed the handles (19g) and added a bale handle of thin stainless steel fishing trace (1 gram). The trace I used was a 2.2mm diameter nylon coated stainless steel wire with 40kg breaking strain which comes complete with suitable crimps. A 10m length with 70 crimps was under $6 from a local fishing tackle shop. For the ends to be crimped I melted off the nylon so that there was no nylon in the crimp to melt if it got a bit too hot on the stove. I drilled two fine holes each side vertically into the rolled edge and slightly opened up the rolled edge so I could work the wire (without nylon coating) through the holes. Once inserted a quick squeeze with a pair of pliers restored the rolled edge. The wire is sufficiently flexible for it fold flat when storing the pot but rigid enough so it stands up in use.

Bale handle.JPG
Bale handle

The cozy completes the package being two layers of 2-3mm closed cell foam tightly enclosed in the stuff sack for extra strength (20 grams total). The foam is slightly better than reflectix for insulation but half the weight. Having a bale handle allows the pot to slide snugly into the cozy without the need for slits/opening in the cozy to deal with the handles on the pot.

This means I end up with a 900ml pot with lid and cozy for 89 grams. As for durability the pot and cozy have at least 100 days use.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ribuck » Thu 20 Jun, 2019 12:37 am

Thanks for those details, Mark. How easily did the handles come off? I imagine they were welded to the pot.

While browsing the web I found this add-on bail handle which slides on and doesn't require drilling. Unfortunately it only works with a pot of exactly the correct diameter:
https://www.vargooutdoors.com/titanium- ... tml#prod-4

I've also discovered that there are some YouTube videos for "no-drill bail handle add-on" and similar. Time to do some watching.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mark F » Thu 20 Jun, 2019 10:47 am

ribuck wrote:Thanks for those details, Mark. How easily did the handles come off? I imagine they were welded to the pot.

The handles come out of the holders that are welded to the pot quite easily. A bit of force and one end of the wire handle will pull out of the holder and then the whole handle can be slid off. It is quite easy to reinstall them if you want to as the Ti wire has a bit of spring to it and can be bent if necessary. I haven't bothered to grind off the holders as they don't project very much and don't cause a problem when slipping the pot into the cozy.

That hanger system for the Vargo Bot weighs almost as much as the handles I removed. The flexible wire bale only weighs 1 gram.
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ofuros » Mon 09 Sep, 2019 7:29 pm

crollsurf wrote:Just discovered the Soto Thermostack Mugs which I think is a great UL solution. I'm pretty sure they're new and I'll probably buy it in the next day or two... after I stop telling myself I already have too many cook sets.
Its the best setup I've seen for anyone who likes a hot drink in the morning or a soup at night and needs 2 pots from time to time to cook dinner.

A double walled that can be taken apart.
400ml pot, 350ml cup + sipper lid, surprisingly versatile piece of kit...for the soloist. Overnight yogurt. :wink:

DSCF6763 (Medium).JPG
DSCF6763 (Medium).JPG (68.66 KiB) Viewed 32086 times
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby EGM » Wed 29 Sep, 2021 5:59 pm

Has anyone used the thermostack combo? For the price it looks hard to beat although it's a bit heavier than ideal at 300g for the total set.
I'm looking for a pot around the 750+1000ml size with an insulated sleeve and I prefer no handle. I'm currently using a gsi minimalist and I like it but it's slightly too small at 600ml.
Are there any other UL 2 or 3 pot sets that come highly recommended?

Thanks
EGM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby crollsurf » Thu 30 Sep, 2021 12:16 am

GSI Minimalist is hard to beat when it comes to UL lux. The Soto offering is uber cool and lighter but the GSI bag that doubles as a kitchen sink... and you can pack your stove and cannister... I've got lighter systems but GSI Minimalist is the best 3 day+ unless you're cold soaking.

NB watch out for the handle though. Lost a meal one night. Errrr
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Ultralight backpacking