sleeping bag for tasmania in winter

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

sleeping bag for tasmania in winter

Postby muhv » Wed 05 Jun, 2019 8:01 pm

I am searching for a good sleeping bag, warm enough for Tasmanian winter nights. Price range $300.

I have searched for some with comfort levels to -10 degrees, but I have seen different reviews saying that some (for example the Anaconda one) might not be as warm as they claim. If anyone has or knows of a warm sleeping bag that they recommend, let me know. Thanks!

1. https://www.mitchellsadventure.com/prod ... -tss4.aspx
2. https://www.anacondastores.com/camping- ... 0029433001
3. https://www.trekandtravel.com.au/collec ... 5783177094
muhv
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Re: sleeping bag for tasmania in winter

Postby Al M » Wed 05 Jun, 2019 11:53 pm

Do you know if you are a warm or cold sleeper, meaning do you get cold and need more blankets than others, if so then maybe a cold sleeper and then need about 5 C warmer bag than possibly rated?

If you are a warm sleeper then maybe aim for a 0 to -5 C bag and with a liner adds another 3-4 C.

Of those bags you linked first one is a heavy 1.9 kg synthetic fill but it doesn’t say how the fill is layered or you need to search the performance of the stated fill. I would predict it’s about a 0 to -2 C bag in reality but it’s just too heavy if you plan to hike with it.

Second bag linked is a heavy 1.5kg down fill but they don’t state type of down, however even lower quality down feather can be quite warm and I would guess it’s at least a -5 C bag. At 1.5kg it’s still too heavy for hiking.

Third bag looks quite good and the brand seems better quality, they state the down fill quality as 750 not the best at say 900 but would still be good. At 1kg it is ok for hiking.

Bags 1 & 2 links don’t seem to provide a standardised international, EU or Australian warmth rating quoted so hard to have absolute trust in the ratings. I would go for third product among the choices. Such gear will last 20 years plus so don’t mind the extra expense it will be appreciated for all that time.

Be careful not to aim for too warm a bag it will be useless in most other Aust winter camping at around 5 - 0 C you will just cook and it sits in the cupboard for 10-20 years until you realise this, unless you are planning on several rated bags to choose from.

Other ones to consider like Aegis Max good value and Gumtree lightly used at around 1/3 price, which can be easily hand washed googling for instructions.
Last edited by Al M on Mon 10 Jun, 2019 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Al M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 09 Jun, 2019 5:28 pm

I tend to be more conservative. If National Parks say to bring a -10C bag in summer I would try and make sure that I could cope with the coldest that Tasmania has recorded plus a small margin for safety. Coldest on record is -13C So a system capability of -15C seems reasonable to me.
But that is wearing all your warm clothes up to the point where you start to lose loft and using all the usual techniques such as sticking the foot end into your Goretex parka etc and perhaps being able to use a hot water bottle if in extremis, although if you need to do this for more than 2 nites your sleeping bag is probably inadequate. For Alpine Victoria where it seldom drops below -8C I use a system rated at -18C but the lowest temperatures I have personally encountered was probably lower than that one very very cold nite many decades ago. The Alpine weather stations are not situated in the coldest spots
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby crollsurf » Sun 09 Jun, 2019 10:05 pm

You tend to get what you pay for. I've had a cheap -6C bag that I was freezing cold @ +6C! I currently own a -6C which I'm warm in @ -6C with a base layer.

Cheap brands are dangerous. I find Sea to Summit are acurate for me as a warm sleeper. Mike sells quilts on this forum and I believe his ratings are good too.

As Al M has aluded to, there is maths involved which equates to down fill. But yeah, don't believe what your told, particularly by cheaper brands.

Me, I'd go with my -6C and layer up. But no matter how good your bag is, you'll still get cold if your mat isn't up to it.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Al M » Mon 10 Jun, 2019 1:40 am

The ratings on many cheap brands if not properly rated by a measuring standard are either fictitious or if properly tested they often state its extreme lowest figure that is about 10-15 C less than what should be quoted, the comfort figure. For an average warmth person the extreme temperature figure meaning you may survive but be cold.

I also have one of Mikes -2 C quilts and tried it in 0 C conditions and the rating seems about right and I am a warm sleeper.

If however one’s body heat and cold regulation falls outside normal ranges, and you have say a dicky hypothalamus (brain heat centre regulator), bad circulation, odd body mass to skin surface ratio and other issues you need to make allowances and pick a warmer or cooler bag, but advice given to others on such experience of gear is almost irrelevant unless they have the same issues.
Al M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby wildwanderer » Mon 10 Jun, 2019 4:29 am

As crolly said, make sure you also have a sleeping mat that will adequately insulate you from the ground. (And rated for the temps expected)

You can be in a -8 bag in zero conditions and freeze your *&%$#! off due to the cold rising from underneath and penetrating a inadequate mat.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby stry » Mon 10 Jun, 2019 9:19 am

The only one of those three that I would consider is the Sea to Summit Talus. The rating description is a little vague, but is probably close to what is the "limit of comfort".

As has been pointed out, there are many variables between individuals, but going on the spec, -5 may on average, be a bit closer. In a hut, with a bit of layering (kept for sleeping only) I could probably get by with that, but would prefer a bit more warmth. I'm a cold sleeper nowadays.

The first two you linked aren't worth looking at.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 10 Jun, 2019 9:50 am

wildwanderer wrote:As crolly said, make sure you also have a sleeping mat that will adequately insulate you from the ground. (And rated for the temps expected)

You can be in a -8 bag in zero conditions and freeze your *&%$#! off due to the cold rising from underneath and penetrating a inadequate mat.

True but the physics says that the heat flow is from the warmer to the colder, cold doesn't rise Heat flows out by conduction [ and radiation if on a bench or cot] I know it seems as if the cold penetrates but it is actually heat flowing out; I think we need to describe these things accurately
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Tue 11 Jun, 2019 11:45 am

muhv wrote:I am searching for a good sleeping bag, warm enough for Tasmanian winter nights. Price range $300.

Not going to happen, except maybe for coastal camping. Anywhere else - particularly higher areas - you need a better bag than you can get at that price.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Nuts » Tue 11 Jun, 2019 11:55 am

Perfect opportunity for 2nd hand?, one of those things often found in good nick... I saw a Marmot Lithium on ebay recently..
Marmot Pinnacle was a great Tassie winter bag. One Planet down bags pop up now and then.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 11 Jun, 2019 12:06 pm

I would have suggested getting some warm insulated pants and a really warm jacket or parka to boost a lighter weight bag, assuming free loft isn't crushed by these clothes and at the same time making sure the mattress combination is warmer than the sleeping set-up, as I have said many times it took me ages to realise that it wasn't my sleeping bags that were inadequate but my ground insulation and comfort layer
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment