Crinoline Circuit

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Crinoline Circuit

Postby AlistairB » Tue 07 May, 2019 2:59 pm

Hi folks,

Planning on doing the Crinoline circuit late next week. I've been up there before and am familiar with the track.

Whats the chances of getting water up at Long Hill? I spoke with Heyfield Parks a few weeks back to confirm its open again and they seemed to think it was pretty dry. Hopefully after this rain there'll be something. Whats peoples thoughts? Anyone been up there recently?

What do you think about chances of snow too?

Thanks in advance.
AlistairB
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Crinoline Circuit

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 07 May, 2019 6:31 pm

It would be best to do this walk in Oct./ Nov. when snow melt will ensure that you find water. VIC. is presently having a drought with the driest April since Methuselah was in potty training . I usually hike in the KNP in NSW at Easter because the VIC ALPS are usually totally dry by autumn. It could snow up there. It snowed when I did that walk in May some 7 years ago.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby Drew » Thu 09 May, 2019 3:42 pm

There's been some reasonable falls in parts of the mountains recently I think so you might be okay. Fingers crossed for a good downpour tonight and tomorrow. When I did the circuit a few years ago (in Jan) there was water at Long Creek and also a couple of waterholes on the way down from Mt Tamboritha.

Could be snow if a cold front comes through (not tonight's rain event) but won't stick around yet.
Drew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby andrewp » Thu 09 May, 2019 5:13 pm

There's a tank (something to do with Melbourne Grammar?) just before you start the zigzag climb up to the Crinoline (coming from the S). It's in a clearing used as a camp.

As Drew said there are 3 dams on the way down from Mt Tamboritha. The best of these is in the saddle between Mt Tamboritha and Little Tamboritha. IMO it needs treating. It's also a good camp site.
andrewp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby AlistairB » Thu 09 May, 2019 7:51 pm

Cheers. Thanks all. Really appreciated. I picked up some water at the tank (Melb Grammar?) before the Crinoline ascent last year. I'm doing the circuit in reverse this year for something different, parking up the top then walking over to long hill and then over to the Crinoline and back around. I'm hoping to camp at Long Hill and be able to top up (or not carry my 6L bladder around at least).

As paidal_chalne_vala mentioned i've previously done it in October / November and that is a better time but my availability is very limited this year and I'm keen to introduce a friend to their first multi day hike. We had planned for early April but the fire closures got us.

I'll let you know what I hear from Parks on Monday and what it is actually like when we get back in a week and half's time.
AlistairB
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby AlistairB » Wed 15 May, 2019 11:14 am

Just had a chat with Parks at Heyfield. Apparently the lil bit of Snow that was up there has melted. They advised to carry water for the trip (i guess they have to) but they didn't seem to think the Long Hill creek would be running yet due to the very dry summer. Guess I'm carrying my 6L bladder too... Will report back after the walk next week on current conditions up top.
AlistairB
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby onefivesxx » Fri 17 May, 2019 12:39 pm

How did you go @AlistairB?

I'm considering a trip up mid-June, comfortable with snow but would my first visit so a little conscious of lack of trail/ marks. At least water shouldn't be a problem..
onefivesxx
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby AlistairB » Tue 21 May, 2019 4:58 pm

We had perfect weather for the hike. Sunny and mild. The trail, while there is a lil scrambling are good apart from the Crinoline to Long Hill. That is totally overgrown and while there are trail markers (bits of pink tape) they are few and far between. It is slow going and would be even harder with snow on the ground up there. I would allow a lot of extra time. I think in snow it would be the better part of a day to get from the school camping area below the Crinoline to the top of Long Hill and the camping area.

We didn't do all of the McMillians walking track part of the circuit. My walker buddy was carrying a really heavy pack he borrowed from a friend and was kapuut after after the second day. I ended up popping some of his gear into my pack to get him through. His skeptism of my ultralight setup is gone and is now exploring that rabbit hole too.

It is really really dry up there too. The Licola valley on the way is super brown. In the past it has been lovely and green. There was no water at Long Hill so both my buddy and I carried 6L each to see us through while up high.
AlistairB
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Hiker78 » Tue 21 May, 2019 10:48 pm

Was also up there on weekend, there was a lot of hunters up there, seen and spoke to at least 8 people.
I found a small amount of water in the creek off long hill although it was very old so treated and boiled and was ok
Hiker78
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 22 May, 2019 4:57 pm

If you have not done this walk before then wait until Mid October. Longer days, more water, just better all round. The XC ski season is coming and that is what makes winter great!.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby onefivesxx » Fri 24 May, 2019 7:56 am

Thanks fellas, I'll wait for the sunshine and pack plenty of water by the sounds of things!
onefivesxx
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Victoria