Silnylon Rain Jackets in Australia?

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Silnylon Rain Jackets in Australia?

Postby Alana84 » Fri 17 May, 2019 12:12 pm

Wondering if anyone knows of any silnylon rain jackets sold in Australia?

Like this one from Lightheart Gear. https://www.lightheartgear.com/collecti ... ain-jacket

I just can’t justify spending so much money on a Gore-Tex jacket if it’s going to wet out eventually. And it seems like even the best reviewed Gore-Tex jackets have wet through on someone.

Perhaps there might even be some cheaper options made of the same material but not marketed as an ultralight hiking jacket?
Alana84
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Re: Silnylon Rain Jackets in Australia?

Postby ChrisJHC » Fri 17 May, 2019 2:55 pm

I know this doesn’t meet your criteria (sold in Aus) but Drop regularly has rain jackets on with a good price landed in Aus.

Drop was previously Massdrop.
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby Alana84 » Fri 17 May, 2019 3:02 pm

I really like Drop and the prices and shipping are pretty reasonable. Unfortunately they don’t have anything suitable on there at the moment.
Alana84
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Lamont » Fri 17 May, 2019 3:56 pm

Alana84 wrote:Wondering if anyone knows of any silnylon rain jackets sold in Australia?

Like this one from Lightheart Gear. https://www.lightheartgear.com/collecti ... ain-jacket

I just can’t justify spending so much money on a Gore-Tex jacket if it’s going to wet out eventually. And it seems like even the best reviewed Gore-Tex jackets have wet through on someone.

Perhaps there might even be some cheaper options made of the same material but not marketed as an ultralight hiking jacket?

I have the LHG one you mention it is very well made.
You also don't have to get a rain item that will wet out, there are manufacturers now doing non wet out items, but they are probably not what you would call cheap.
TNF Hyperair GTX-Columbia Outdry Ex Featherweight are two models owned by myself and another highly experienced chap. These two models at least do not wet out.
But other Columbia jackets, (other than the Caldorado model which is marketed and sold as a running jacket), will wet out.
My COEF is excellent at 210 grams in mens L. Breathability is excellent mainly due to the venting on the front-these beat pit zips hands down.

If you want a cheap option you will not likely get venting but Decathlon make heaps and some are bordering on, if not ultralight-you just have to be willing to experiment and choose for the circumstances and demands.
Sil nylon will cook you, vents or not, unless it is very, very cold and probably still then unless you are strolling slowly. High MET work and you will be like a nicely steamed chicken in there, but rain will not bother you.
Cheers.
Last edited by Lamont on Fri 17 May, 2019 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 17 May, 2019 4:33 pm

Readily available and reasonably priced are the Rainbird jackets. You pay a 50 to 80 gram weight penalty but save a hundred dollars
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Alana84 » Fri 17 May, 2019 5:07 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions.

The Columbia Outdry looks good but is even more than ordering from Lightheart Gear.

I’m not sure about the Rainbird jackets. They’re advertised as being breathable as well and describe something that sounds like a 2.5 layer Gore-Tex (a cheaper version perhaps). I’m not sure this is what I’m looking for.
Alana84
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby crollsurf » Fri 17 May, 2019 5:24 pm

They all wet out if your running hot. Best chance is cool weather, pit zips and GTX pro.
Interested to check out Lamont's front vent suggestion.
Otherwise what about a poncho. Cheap and light but a fail when Bush bashing

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Lamont » Fri 17 May, 2019 5:28 pm

Alana84 wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions.
The Columbia Outdry looks good but is even more than ordering from Lightheart Gear.

I didn't say it was cheaper.
All three jackets I referred to will not wet out from external rain and will still breathe when you perspire and the inside is damp.
Rainbirds do not breathe at all and are very heavy for what they are as MD said but they will not wet out. They are Nylon.
At least the LHG has pit zips, and it will not wet out, but as I said you will cook.
When I bought my LHG the dollar was strong, now you'll be up for about 180Aud.
Yowch, not such a bargain any more.
Cheers.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Fri 17 May, 2019 5:59 pm

crollsurf wrote:They all wet out if your running hot. Best chance is cool weather, pit zips and GTX pro.
Interested to check out Lamont's front vent suggestion.
Otherwise what about a poncho. Cheap and light but a fail when Bush bashing

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

The ones I linked won't wet out. I believe there are different understandings of the term 'wet out'.
This is what I am referring to
https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21A ... ot&o=OneUp
'So far' the technology is supported I think. I believe our Zapruda is still an aficianado of the TNF Hyperair GTX?
The 'vents' on the front of the COEF may be a problem for some as they face the 'wrong' way-hence they are not really pockets in the traditional sense but the reason I call them vents. If you get cold hands I have some of these http://borahgear.com/eventmitts.html.
If it is not too cold just drop the sleeve over your hands or get warmer gloves etc but you are not really putting your hands in those pockets unless you cross your arms-right hand into left pocket and vice versa.
The air gets sucked in there once you start moving, warmed, and up and out the neck and hood like you wouldn't believe and unless the rain is sideways (and even then thus far) she'll be right. Excellent so far.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwanderer » Fri 17 May, 2019 7:12 pm

I find no matter what the breathability claims all rain gear cause perspiration at a moderate walking pace when rain is coming down. Resulting in soggy tshirts/trousers. Which chill rapidly when you stop.

My solution.. simply remove inner layers and wear the rain jacket alone. It's much more comfortable and when you stop you have a nice dry shirt to put on.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Alana84 » Fri 17 May, 2019 9:49 pm

So I found this on sale at Catch...

https://m.catch.com.au/product/columbia ... 499aa24e98

I’m assuming the waterproofing would be the same for all the Outdry variants? I know the featherweight is obviously lighter but it’s also twice the price.
Alana84
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby slparker » Sat 18 May, 2019 9:34 am

Assuming that catch isn’t a scam site, this jacket looks like a good deal. The material won’t wet out but I don’t know about ventilation or hood quality, which could be dubious,
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnw » Sat 18 May, 2019 6:17 pm

slparker wrote:Assuming that catch isn’t a scam site, this jacket looks like a good deal. The material won’t wet out but I don’t know about ventilation or hood quality, which could be dubious,

catch.com.au is legit, I've placed several orders with them and no issues - it's a bit like eBay.
Sellers can be local but are often UK based, at least in my experience.
Delivery was very prompt from the UK for an item I received the other day.
Sometimes they are cheap, sometimes you can get a better deal elsewhere.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby slparker » Sat 18 May, 2019 6:30 pm

It is a good deal then.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Sat 18 May, 2019 6:44 pm

As I mentioned in my responses above, the COEF is not the same as the other Columbia jackets.
Maybe it would be wise to read the link I provided.
Caveat emptor.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby slparker » Sat 18 May, 2019 8:23 pm

@lamont the link you provided is Richard Nisley's discussion on insulation.
Are you stating that the coumbia jacket on catch is not an external membrane jacket?
Columbia's advertising faff describe outdry extreme (outdry ex) is their 'no wetout' external membrane textile.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Sat 18 May, 2019 8:35 pm

Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Alana84 » Sat 18 May, 2019 8:59 pm

Lamont wrote:https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/a-new-paradigm-for-analyzing-pwpb-systems-like-the-columbia-outdry-ex-featherwei/
apologies, this is the link.

Either the file linked in backpacking light no longer exists, or I don’t have access to it. I’m afraid the comments following it don’t make much sense without reading the file first.

Whilst I’m sure the featherweight is a great jacket, I’m going to go with the jacket I linked to earlier on Catch. I appreciate you taking the time to offer your advice.
Alana84
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Equipment