Track condition - The Steamers

Queensland specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Queensland specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Track condition - The Steamers

Postby dortwilder » Mon 13 May, 2019 9:35 am

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at completing an overnight loop around The Steamers at Main Range NP & hoping to get some information on track conditions for a particular route that I am proposing to take.

I realise that the forum rules state that we should "avoid posting detailed information on accessing sensitive areas without recognized tracks to public topics" so i am unsure exactly what information I am allowed to post here.

I am hoping that if anyone is familiar with the area and is willing to provide some feedback could PM me so I could send details of the proposed route to find out if it is viable.

thanks in advance

dw
dortwilder
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Track condition - The Steamers

Postby Aardvark » Mon 13 May, 2019 6:03 pm

Where did you want to launch from?
Will you drive up Emu Ck or will you leave from Teviot Gap?
The whole area is regarded as off track. It is largely national park. I don't believe anyone would regard the 'Steamers' as too sensitive to talk about.
One route i regularly ply is a circuit from Emu Ck to the bomber wreck below the south col on Superbus, then to the summit along the range to Roberts, Lizard Pt. and the Steamers. I have often left from Teviot Gap but that is an extra leg.
Ever on the search for a one ended stick.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby CBee » Mon 13 May, 2019 7:29 pm

Both approaches from the north and from the south at Emu creek have a food pad from memory. Not a track by any means but easy enough to follow.
CBee
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Lyrebird » Tue 14 May, 2019 6:24 am

If you're heading in from Teviot Gap/Brett's Road, I walked that way a month or so ago to the Superbus Summit and Roberts Saddle, and it was reasonably plain sailing with a decent footpad, which appeared to continue towards Mt Roberts. No tape (yay) but distinct paths; I didn't need to use the compass/map. There was basic mobile reception for most of it.
Take insect repellent; I ended up with literally 40+ bites per foot from some sort of midges that quietly climbed into my socks and helped themselves to the Lyrebird Buffet Special. That part of Main Range has more bugs than a new Windows release :roll:
That said, there is a lot of scratchy, dense regrowth around the old forestry trails that would be difficult to get through if your planned route is away from the usual paths to Lizard Point and the Steamers. If you were planning an historic route or similar that deviates from the general routes, you may need to navigate around impenetrable patches, because there's some serious scunge.
Last edited by Lyrebird on Tue 14 May, 2019 6:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lyrebird
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby IDP » Tue 14 May, 2019 6:36 am

It is reasonably simple matter to reach the Funnel from Steamer Creek - a track becomes obvious up the ridge. A bit of scree immediately below the Funnel. Thence simple to follow the ridge east veering north side of the Mast cliffs then traversing north of the Stern to an obvious gully up to the Stern itself. Classic lookout then obtained by an obvious path through the eucalypts and ferns.
After that either backtrack the same way (if a day walk is planned) or Mt Steamer gained relatively simply then north along Main Range till Davies Ridge comes off (for nice two day walk).
We gained quite a few ticks last winter.
IDP
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby cough » Tue 14 May, 2019 8:06 am

Would an ordinary 2WD vehicle be able to reach the parking areas? I understand one is at the end of Old Mill Road and the other is at the end of Emu Creek Road.
cough
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby dortwilder » Tue 14 May, 2019 8:24 am

Thank you for the replies, I will try to provide more details, hopefully this is within forum rules.

I am looking to do an overnighter loop starting at the gate at Old Mill Road (North of the Prow) & head east along the Steamer Creek & then and continue generally in this direction up to he Mt Steamer Saddle Bush Camp campsite & camp overnight. Next day would track south to Mt Steamer and then back West along the Stern/Mast/Funnel & return to start.
I am mostly interested if there is track/footpad from Old Mill Road to the saddle campsite. Some maps mark this as Steamer Creek Road & then turning into Steamer Creek Trail. The Ranger advises me that this is a fire break which runs East from Old Mill road & then turns into an old logging track through rainforest up to the campsite but cannot confirm its condition. I'm wanting to know if this section is relatively easy or a likley heavy bush bash up to the campsite.
I acknowledge that this an is off-track area but as I am planning for a group, I kind of like to let everyone know what to expect.
Thanks
DW
dortwilder
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby dortwilder » Tue 14 May, 2019 8:47 am

cough wrote:Would an ordinary 2WD vehicle be able to reach the parking areas? I understand one is at the end of Old Mill Road and the other is at the end of Emu Creek Road.

Access to both areas are definitely high clearance 4WD only.
I was there in February this year and even without much water in the creeks, some of the crossings would be too rough for 2WD and even marginal for an AWD.
dortwilder
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby IDP » Tue 14 May, 2019 11:19 am

dortwilder wrote:Thank you for the replies, I will try to provide more details, hopefully this is within forum rules.

I am looking to do an overnighter loop starting at the gate at Old Mill Road (North of the Prow) & head east along the Steamer Creek & then and continue generally in this direction up to he Mt Steamer Saddle Bush Camp campsite & camp overnight. Next day would track south to Mt Steamer and then back West along the Stern/Mast/Funnel & return to start.
I am mostly interested if there is track/footpad from Old Mill Road to the saddle campsite. Some maps mark this as Steamer Creek Road & then turning into Steamer Creek Trail. The Ranger advises me that this is a fire break which runs East from Old Mill road & then turns into an old logging track through rainforest up to the campsite but cannot confirm its condition. I'm wanting to know if this section is relatively easy or a likley heavy bush bash up to the campsite.
I acknowledge that this an is off-track area but as I am planning for a group, I kind of like to let everyone know what to expect.
Thanks
DW

I've not been up that particular route but have done Davies Ridge, which was is readily trafficable and would enable you to get to/from that saddle relatively easily
IDP
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby CBee » Tue 14 May, 2019 4:04 pm

dortwilder wrote:
cough wrote:Would an ordinary 2WD vehicle be able to reach the parking areas? I understand one is at the end of Old Mill Road and the other is at the end of Emu Creek Road.

I once crossed the two creeks with an old Rav4, low clearance. One of the crossing was a bit deep, with a hidden log in the middle but I managed to get through without much drama. Also, from Mill Rd, I managed to drive up an old overgrown road I found on the right from the main road and got very close to the rock apron. I had to stop because the road ended.
CBee

Postby Aardvark » Tue 14 May, 2019 5:50 pm

Yeah, i've had 2WD cars up there.
The real problem lies in going too soon after rain and cutting up the muddy parts of the road. The locals will hate you for that.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Aardvark » Wed 15 May, 2019 12:15 pm

If you're visiting from Brisbane or the coast, it is not unreasonable to visit the Stern L/O from Teviot Gap 700m alt. (ie Bretts Rd), even as a daywalk.
It makes for a more interesting walk than just following the cliffline under the Mast and the Funnel etc.
We usually make Lizard Pt in 2.5hrs. It's only 90m across to the Steamers. Another 60mins or so to the L/O. The pad from Lizard Pt is easily followable and mainly stays on the crest. The approach to the Steamer East is on the southern side of the final climb. Mt. Steamer itself is a short side scramble.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lyrebird » Wed 15 May, 2019 2:11 pm

We usually make Lizard Pt in 2.5hrs. It's only 90m across to the Steamers

That's interesting, I didn't realise it was as close as that. Thanks, I might schedule it in as a day walk.
The advantage of Brett's Road is that you can take any sort of vehicle in any sort of weather. The Head Road is fullly sealed and you can just park beside it.
Lyrebird
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby rowdy79 » Thu 16 May, 2019 10:40 am

Aardvark wrote:We usually make Lizard Pt in 2.5hrs. It's only 90m across to the Steamers. Another 60mins or so to the L/O.

That's quick! Took me a bit under 4 hours to get to Lizard from Teviot. The Teviot to Steamers route has been on my to-do list for a while, possibly as an overnighter.
rowdy79
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Aardvark » Thu 16 May, 2019 6:14 pm

It's a route i've done more times than anyone would think normal. The breakdown would be 60 mins to Superbus shoulder . 90 mins further to Lizard Pt.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby dortwilder » Tue 18 Jun, 2019 9:43 am

We completed the overnight loop as described in my original post on the weekend & I'll post a separate report in the QLD Trip Reports forum if anyone is interested.

As an update on the condition of Old Mill Road, I would think it is definitely trafficable by all wheel drive vehicle at the moment and even probably even 2WD (with high clearance). There is virtually no water in the creeks so this may change after a bit of weather. We did not travel up to emu creek campsite so I'm not sure what that is like but I recall it was considerably rougher than Old Mill road earlier in the year.
dortwilder
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby ERINN » Mon 08 Jul, 2019 10:02 pm

Hi Cough,

Can you please send me a PM? I have a question about the waterfall in Tallebudgera that you spoke about on another thread.
ERINN
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Western Australia

Postby Aardvark » Tue 09 Jul, 2019 8:04 am

It was only a few years ago i took a couple from NZ from Teviot Gap to Lizard Pt, then to the Steamers dropping south off the Funnel to Menura Ck, around to Cryptocarya Ck to the South col of Superbus and back to Teviot in a day. It took all the daylight hours. That can be shortened still by dropping straight east off Superbus to cleared land below. I would generally recommend it as a two day walk though.

..and we were wearing boots. :wink:
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby warloch » Mon 01 Feb, 2021 8:58 am

Just wondering if anyone has any success getting through Steamers Creek Trail to the saddle campsite? We attempted to push through it this weekend but hit a certain point where the regrowth was super thick and full of gympie gympie so decided to turn back. I'd be keen to head back in drier conditions as I imagine the regrowth could potentially die off.
warloch
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby CBee » Mon 01 Feb, 2021 1:49 pm

It is now Gympie-gympie land. Avoid.
CBee

Postby warloch » Tue 02 Feb, 2021 9:56 am

Thanks CBee! You've saved me a return trip :) Was going to push through from the Mill rd route up to the saddle camp and push back down Steamers Creek Trail, but I'd rather not get stung to death. It's a shame as on paper it would make a pretty fun overnight circuit.
warloch
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby CBee » Tue 02 Feb, 2021 1:05 pm

Ehm, probably a bit short for an overnight loop. But you could leave the car on Mill rd, go up the stern lookout via normal track, then retrace to Mt. Steamer and down to the saddle for the night (and water collection). Next day you can follow the ridge to lower (or upper) Panorama point and come back to the car via Davies ridge. But if you have to come back via Steamer creek, the upper reaches, if you stay in the creek bed, are free from nasty vines. But I'm assuming you will have to negotiate large pools and Gympie-Gympie/wait a while lower down. I spoke to a group of bushwalkers recently and they told me a scary story.
CBee

Return to Queensland