Shipsterns Bluff Access.

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Shipsterns Bluff Access.

Postby Mechanic-AL » Sat 18 Aug, 2018 9:47 am

Apparently Red Bull have scheduled a surfing contest at Shipsterns Bluff as a part of their Big Wave World Tour. This event is set to run anytime between now and Christmas depending on when the surf cooperates. No problem there. I was surprised however to hear of their plans to close the Stormlea Road for the duration of the event. I couldn't imagine it would be in their best interests to have a whole gaggle of punters crowding the cliff tops in search of the best view of the waves.
I have an issue with their plans to close the road though. Not sure just who it is that has the supreme power to give them permission to do this ? What about the people who have no interest in surfing and just want to take a walk down the Cape and back? I'm also wondering if this event is a global success story and Red Bull decide to run it annually how does that sit with users of the 3 Capes Track ?

Buggered if I like the idea of being told by a multi national corporation that I can't walk somewhere in my home state.
( and that crap taste like cough medicine passed it's used date anyway ! ).
"What went ye out into the wilderness to see?
A reed shaken in the wind"?
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Re: Shipsterns Bluff Access.

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Sat 18 Aug, 2018 9:59 am

Mechanic-AL wrote:Buggered if I like the idea of being told by a multi national corporation that I can't walk somewhere in my home state

PWS have been doing it for years... do you have the same issue with them?

I don't think it has any impact on the 3capes as the start of that walk is at a different location is it not?
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby north-north-west » Sat 18 Aug, 2018 9:59 am

And what about the people who live down there?

They close off sections of road for the Targa, which is fair enough given the safety issues, but this is very different. Probably part of the problem is the limited parking facilities at and near the trackhead. They'll need everything they can get to bring in media and competitors and support staff, so there will be no room for the public.

Wonder if they will also try to close off water access. Not that I'd be keen on taking the kayak in if the surf is big enough for them . . .
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby north-north-west » Sat 18 Aug, 2018 10:02 am

ILUVSWTAS wrote:
Mechanic-AL wrote:Buggered if I like the idea of being told by a multi national corporation that I can't walk somewhere in my home state

PWS have been doing it for years... do you have the same issue with them?

Not as much as with FT and Hydro.
TasPAWS track closures and restrictions are generally about maintenance, safety (as with burn-offs) and capping numbers. It's different to a private company closing a public road to make $$$$.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stepbystep » Sat 18 Aug, 2018 10:42 am

They are paranoid people with fancy cameras will go and get the scoop and take it away from their control. Surfing much as most things is a corporate game. I’ll probably go down for a look when it’s on. There’s other ways in there
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tastrax » Sat 18 Aug, 2018 10:47 am

Stormlea Road is council and private - nothing to do with PWS. Does anyone actually have any information that the road will be closed or is it just rumour?
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby Mechanic-AL » Sat 18 Aug, 2018 10:56 am

PWS close tracks around the state for a number of different reasons. Making bucket loads of cash for huge corporations isn't usually one of them.
Shipsterns has really been surfed regularly for the past 10 years or so. Walkers have been using those tracks for how long...........?
It's more the principal of a company having divine rights over an area they have previously held no interest in than anything else that gets to me.
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mountain Rocket » Wed 12 Sep, 2018 9:41 am

Redbull did exactly the same thing at Cape Solander aka 'Cape Fear' within Kamay Botany Bay National Park, NSW back in 2016. Restricting public access in National Parks for a commercial venture will always rub me the wrong way. However, I can at least appreciate there probably isn't enough room in the carpark for the public after all the competitors and support crew are there, but to just say members of the public cannot attend full stop is lame.
Mountain Rocket
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Mechanic-AL » Sun 12 May, 2019 12:51 pm

So its on. Scheduled to start on Monday morning. ( 13/05 ). No mention of road or track closures on PAWS website but word from event organizers is that public access will be closed. At a time when we have the heavy pressure being applied to allow private developments in WHA's is it really a smart move to allow Global Corporations to shut down parts of our National Parks to use as their own little play pen ? No doubt this will be a spectacular sporting event but that isnt the issue.
What if somebody found a way to make fly fishing a life or death edge of your seat spectator sport? Would that suddenly give promoters the right to close public access to highland lakes while they held fly fishing contest ?? This really is at the heart of just who National Parks ( and WHA's ) are created for.........
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby oldpiscator » Sun 12 May, 2019 2:56 pm

With the World Fly Fishing championships in November this year Little Pine Lagoon, Penstock Lagoon and Woods Lake will be closed to fishing for a week to non competitors and sections of the Mersey and Meander rivers will be closed for 2 weeks.
oldpiscator
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Mechanic-AL » Sun 12 May, 2019 3:19 pm

I'm not sure about the sections of the Mersey and Meander to be closed but I'm fairly sure Penstock and Little Pine are not in National Parks.
I guess it would be up to the local council to make the call on closing these areas ?
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Sun 12 May, 2019 4:59 pm

"Closed to fishing" is not the same as "no public access".
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Rexyviney36 » Tue 11 Jun, 2019 11:51 am

I’m a pretty regular visitor to little Pine during the fishing season, and by visitor I mean, angler.
For the State to host such a fantastic event, I’m sure I can find other waters to fish for a week or two if needs be.
No different to MtB riders and Derby, and surfers and Shippies. In fact, most locals keen enough would go for a look, not throw frocks in protest.
Rexyviney36
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Joel » Wed 12 Jun, 2019 7:56 am

I don't know about "a fantastic event". I don't want to sound negative but I don't think anyone really cares about fly fishing competitions. I'm a super keen fly fisher and I don't know anyone that is interested in the event except those that like to compete themselves.
Joel
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mechanic-AL » Wed 12 Jun, 2019 7:39 pm

Rexyviney36 wrote: In fact, most locals keen enough would go for a look, not throw frocks in protest.

And how would they do this when public access is closed ?

The point I'm trying to discuss is weather we should expect to see more areas of National Parks closed to private events organized large corporations into the future and if other park stakeholders are comfortable with this ?
I personally believe that this is 'thin edge of the wedge ' type stuff that will eventually give license to some of the more completely unacceptable development proposals that are on the table at the moment.
Its been a long time since of thrown anything other than a hammy and if I happened to have any pretty frocks I wouldnt be getting them dirty over closing the Shippies track :) :)
Just interested to know if many folks worry about this type of activity in National Parks and WHA ( because I get the feeling we're about to see a significant increase .... ).
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nuts » Thu 13 Jun, 2019 10:55 am

Mechanic-AL wrote:
Rexyviney36 wrote: Just interested to know if many folks worry about this type of activity in National Parks and WHA ( because I get the feeling we're about to see a significant increase .... ).

Yes, blurred lines on public assets and management boundaries. Only supported ingress or unsupported, one or the other!
Not one inch and not for a minute, to me. Far from saturated but getting there.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes