Food drops between Walhalla and Hotham 2019

A forum for discussing the Australian Alps Walking Track. This is a 655 km long track from Walhalla (Vic) to Tharwa (ACT)

Food drops between Walhalla and Hotham 2019

Postby Lukec » Sat 11 May, 2019 12:10 pm

G'day folks,
I'm organising myself for a Spring NB full traverse of the AAWT, hopefully leaving in late Oct or early Nov. For the first two food drops, it seems the most common food drop spots are Rumpf Saddle and Camp Creek near Mt Speculation. I've just noticed that the Jamieson-Licola road is seasonally closed from June - Nov, which kind of messes my plans to do the food drops in October. Couple of questions for folks in the know: Is there any way to access these spots in early October? I've got a 4WD mazda BT50 ute(2015) with reasonable clearance.
If not, does anyone see any issue with doing the food drops in the next 3 weeks (before the closure, and letting them sit there for 6 months through winter)? And are there similar issues with later food drops (around Cobberas seems like it could also be a problem)?
Cheers
luke
Lukec
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Food drops between Walhalla and Hotham 2019

Postby north-north-west » Sat 11 May, 2019 3:45 pm

Someone with more up to date knowledge would need to confirm this is still the case, but - it used to be possible to get a permit to access the Jamison-Licola Rd in winter. I think it was mainly done with 4WD clubs. Speculation Rd is a different matter as that is actually gated so it takes more than a bit of paper to give you legal access.
Provided there are no perishables in your drop, it is stowed in something that is guaranteed to keep critters out, positioned securely and secretly, and also marked for the expected pick-up period, I see no reason why you couldn't put something in place now.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby bigkev » Sat 11 May, 2019 5:38 pm

I put my Camp Creek drop in before winter Luke, just make sure it's waterproof as it'll be buried under snow for a few months. I did a food drop at Champion Spur Track the weekend before I left (early October) and carried my needs from there to Camp Creek (about a week for me). NNW is right I think, some people do seem to access the Jamieson - Licola Road although I don't know how many do it legally with a permit and how many just drive around the sign?

You can fairly easily walk in along Cowombat Track if the gate is closed, to the spot where the AAWT comes in. Off the top of my head it's only be a couple of easy kilometres. There is good camping/water and a spot to stash your food very close to where the AAWT comes in.

Good luck with your trip. I look forward to hearing about it.
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Xplora » Sun 12 May, 2019 8:15 am

It is common to leave food drops out over winter. You have less than a month to get to these areas and I would check first to see if they close early. Some roads have closed already but not sure if they are the ones you need. The early closures are in fire affected areas. Your car should hand most tracks depending on tyres. Spec road to Camp Creek is pretty easy. Forget about the Jamison - Licola road in winter. It could be of value to contact each PV office individually to see if there is any local info on roads. Expect to leave a message and wait for a call back.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lukec » Sun 12 May, 2019 6:59 pm

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.
I noticed on the vicroads website it shows a small section of the Jamieson-Licola Road (between Jamieson and Mount Skene) closed currently, although it has no further info about it. I'll make a few calls.
I guess i could come up from Licola but if you can't get through to Jamieson then that's really going to screw things up for then accessing the Camp Creek area. unless there's a way through to Woods Pt rd.
At a stretch I could just go with one large food drop at Rumpff, as Chapman suggests, but that's probably 8-9 days worth of food to hoof.
I'll likely head up next weekend or the one after, and see what I can do. just the first two drops and do the others in october. They look more accessible than the first couple.
Cheers

jam_lic.jpg
Lukec
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Lukec » Wed 22 May, 2019 9:54 pm

Just an update if anyone’s interested. I made drop 1 at rumpff saddle and drop 2 at Mac springs. Didn’t trust my 4WD skills to get me to camp creek. Though it’s a long drive and hike into Mac springs it was worth it as I rate this as one of the best camping spots in vic. Stayed the night and had an amazing sunrise from the cross cut saw, I walked 3 km out there at first light. Looking forward to the AAWT mission later in the year. I’ll probably have a few more questions over the coming months, mostly for folks who’ve done it before. Thanks again to those who responded.
Lukec
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Mercury » Thu 30 Apr, 2020 3:55 pm

Hi Luke,

I'm looking at doing a NB trip in summer 20/21 (virus and bushfires permitting)

I was hoping to do a food drop at Rumpff Saddle and am interested in how you found the Jamieson-Licola Rd?

I only have a 2WD drive and would be approaching from Licola, I would most likely be going up Nov/Dec to do the drop so snow or seasonal closures aren't an issue.

Can I make it in a 2WD?

Similarly interested as to whether you can take a 2WD up Howitt Rd to the Howitt Plains Car Park?

Any advice would be appreciated! :)
Mercury
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Mark F » Thu 30 Apr, 2020 4:39 pm

2wd into Rumpff Saddle is ok but up to Howitt Plains is more problematic. One of the main issues with these sorts of roads is ground clearance although the last few km to the Howitt Plains car park may well require 4wd ability depending on whether the road has been graded since winter and the amount of rain received since. I can regularly get there in a Subaru Forester so no need for anything more macho.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Return to AAWT