Cheap Bothybag

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Cheap Bothybag

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 29 Apr, 2019 8:58 am

https://au.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-bo ... nk+Content
Cheap insurance for the tadpole and I this winter. while I know I will probably never need it I feel better knowing I have temporary shelter from the wind to rewarm etc
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Cheap Bothybag

Postby stry » Tue 30 Apr, 2019 8:29 am

I've never understood why these aren't more popular here. Many advantages over a body bag.

I can understand why they are more popular for the type of walking undertaken in the UK.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildwanderer » Tue 30 Apr, 2019 8:49 am

stry wrote:I've never understood why these aren't more popular here. Many advantages over a body bag.

I can understand why they are more popular for the type of walking undertaken in the UK.

Does it only work in dry alpine areas? Due to wetness/cold transfering to your back/butt when pressing against the outer material?
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 30 Apr, 2019 9:09 am

That depends on the fabric but proofed units are OK in wet conditions
Their main job is to keep the wind off and they are warm because of shared space and that windproofing. Naturally you need something to sit on but I always have a scrap of CCF in my day pack or you simply sit on your pack. If you keep your day pack on your back it creates a large dead space behind you, dig a pit for your legs and they can be very comfortable for a lunch stop/ blister fix etc. While I have had the use of them before this will be the first one I have owned
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wallwombat » Wed 01 May, 2019 10:33 pm

They are excellent in extreme conditions. If you are stuck out in blizzardy conditions or just driving wind and rain, they let you get out of the wind and the rain quickly and easily. In such circumstances you don't worry too much about "wetness/cold transferring to your back/butt".

They are also good for day walks or cross country skiing day trips, in places where the weather might crap out at any time. In fact, I use mine more for this than multi-day walks, where I have another shelter I can use.

If I was climbing something like Frenchman's Cap , in Tassie, it would probably go in my pack too.
wallwombat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 02 May, 2019 7:33 am

It is coming from the UK so a few days yet to arrive and be customs processed but when it does get here I will give it a trail in the yard and post a review
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 06 May, 2019 12:03 pm

It has arrived
Good value
Smaller than Evans at TerraRosa and being urethane coated a bit heavier, also it looks like the little PVC windows are at the end of their shelf life but they work.
Easy to replace the PVC with some mesh and nylon [ for extra ventilation] if they crack
As soon as The Boss arrives I'll get a few pictures taken
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 07 May, 2019 12:08 pm

A 4 person version has just been added to the clearance sale
FYI
https://au.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-bo ... nk+Content