Mountain Designs Closing Down

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Re: Mountain Designs Closing Down

Postby casey79 » Wed 28 Mar, 2018 9:06 am

Doonish wrote:Imagine they'll just bring it as a branded line into the present Anaconda stores? Can't imagine them running separate shops...

Yeah my money is on MD's becoming the Anaconda house brand.
casey79
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby Gadgetgeek » Wed 28 Mar, 2018 8:16 pm

The big question is, will they actually still have any sort of MD-ness to them, or will it just be a tag on some random OEM gear.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Franco » Thu 29 Mar, 2018 8:16 am

Gadgetgeek wrote:The big question is, will they actually still have any sort of MD-ness to them, or will it just be a tag on some random OEM gear.

In theory (according to the press release) yes, in practice we will have to wait.
"Avi Gilboa, Group Managing Director of Spotlight Group Holdings, has confirmed
that the legacy of Mountain Designs will continue. “Mountain Designs is a leading
adventure brand with a proud 43-year heritage. The brand has always provided
quality, technical, multi-functional gear for all Australians” said Mr Gilboa".
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Gadgetgeek » Thu 29 Mar, 2018 8:32 am

From my end, if they were able to pull it back together and start selling gear that was high-quality enough to be durable, and well designed enough to be robust and inexpensive, then I'd really like to see them get into this mid-market that school camp gear tends to be bought at. Supposedly Rays was trying to target that zone, but I think they sorely missed the mark, and the recent anaconda ads seem to suggest that they are trying to cater to that end of things, so maybe we will see something worth looking at. The other mid-brands have too much cruft at this point, so many useless features and weight, and oztrail seems to have struggled to find a designer who has actually used a hiking tent. I know they are built to budget, but does a tent inner really need a storm flap on the zip, when the skin isn't waterproof?
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mr Bean » Thu 10 May, 2018 10:40 am

Over the past 15 years, my selection of gear (for Melbourne) came from either MD, Paddy Pallin, Bogong or MacPac. Each had their strengths. My heavy duty Goretex bib and brace pants from MD are still going well after 8-9 years of skiing. Along with the variety of gloves that have held up well. Alas, no more, as I wander past the empty store, rapidly being changed to another outdoor gear store. Online stores, for gear at least, never did appeal to me. Called me old fashioned, I like to fiddle and feel.
Mr Bean
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Overlandman » Mon 17 Dec, 2018 5:57 pm

Just wondering if anyone has heard if MD are going to reopen online anytime soon :o
From the MD website
We'll be back in 2019 with more information on when our products will be back in stock.

Regards OLM
Whatever, Wherever, Whenever
Overlandman
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Overlandman » Fri 22 Mar, 2019 4:04 pm

Received an email from them today

As an Alliance Club member, we wanted you to be the first to know Mountain Designs is back. :D
Overlandman
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby matagi » Fri 22 Mar, 2019 4:36 pm

Overlandman wrote:Received an email from them today

As an Alliance Club member, we wanted you to be the first to know Mountain Designs is back. :D

I got the same email - over a week ago.
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby CraigVIC » Tue 02 Apr, 2019 6:59 pm

MD gear is now in the Anaconda catalogue, "New to Anaconda" Clothes plus some gear.
CraigVIC

Postby Equivocator » Thu 11 Apr, 2019 8:32 am

Yup, seems a few people in this thread called it, Anacondas owners have bought out MD so you'll see it on the shelves there soon I guess;
https://www.smartcompany.com.au/industr ... n-designs/
Equivocator
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby CraigVIC » Thu 11 Apr, 2019 8:57 am

Equivocator wrote:Yup, seems a few people in this thread called it, Anacondas owners have bought out MD so you'll see it on the shelves there soon I guess;
https://www.smartcompany.com.au/industr ... n-designs/

MD gear is in Anaconda now. All the staff were wearing Mountain Designs tees last week, as a promotion I guess.

It is spread throughout the store in the relevant sections just like any other brand they carry.
CraigVIC

Postby Ms_Mudd » Thu 11 Apr, 2019 7:07 pm

Yes, have seen it on ebay Anaconda store too.

I got super excited that the MD site itself was back up, but alas, no superdry tights/shirts or my favourite socks. Wahhhhhhhhhh
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Sat 04 May, 2019 9:44 am

Sadly Mountain Designs has changed from US/AUS sizing to Chinese, so by the looks of things, nothing for us bigger folk.
Used to fit 2XL MD and now looks like even 3XL is too small. :(
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 04 May, 2019 12:40 pm

crollsurf wrote:Sadly Mountain Designs has changed from US/AUS sizing to Chinese, so by the looks of things, nothing for us bigger folk.

I know we larger people are a very small market in Oz but it is one that MD used to cover well, even if in only a small range. As I have staid before it is no wonder some of use buy direct from the USA
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Overlandman » Sat 04 May, 2019 5:46 pm

crollsurf wrote:Sadly Mountain Designs has changed from US/AUS sizing to Chinese, so by the looks of things, nothing for us bigger folk.

Thanks Crollsurf for letting us know about the sizing.
Regards OLM :?
Overlandman
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnw » Sat 04 May, 2019 7:26 pm

Might be worth complaining to Anaconda about the sizing if it's inconsistent with other brands they stock?
I'm at the smaller end of the size spectrum (medium or occasionally small) but have often ended up with XL Asian sizes when ordering through Aliexpress or eBay.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Gadgetgeek » Sun 05 May, 2019 9:14 am

Its certainly worth letting them know where they are loosing their sales, otherwise they will sink to the lowest common denominator and we'll have another oztrail et al.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 05 May, 2019 9:44 am

To be fair it isn't just Anaconda. The same applies across the board in all those companies that have sent manufacturing overseas coupled with the current fashion for skinny looking clothing and the sad fact that many of us are getting fatter
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Joynz » Sat 30 Nov, 2019 7:04 pm

Found some great Mountain Designs long hiking pants at the Highett Anaconda today!

This is after trying on dozens of pairs in Macpac, Katmandhu, Vast - and all the many brands at Anaconda (North Face, Columbia, HH etc).

The two Mountain Designs styles I liked best (Cooloola and Bellarine) both have 6 pockets - and most of them are actually a usable size. They come with webbing belts, roll up legs and a fair amount of stretch in the fabric.

The best thing is that the fit is ‘classic’ not tight! And even better, there’s a gusseted crutch as well as the usual articulated knees.

Oh, and they’re quick dry, moisture wicking and 40/50 upf!
Joynz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby andrewa » Sat 30 Nov, 2019 7:47 pm

Are they less than 300g? That’s my general weight restriction on gear items other than the tent/quilt/rucksack items, and one of the biggest irritations I have with online perusing of clothing is that the weight rarely seems to be mentioned.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby Mark F » Sat 30 Nov, 2019 8:13 pm

Joynz - They are both Nylon with a bit of Spandex so a very good fabric for durability and drying. Far better of cooler/dampish conditions than the so called "adventure wear" offering of so many manufacturers that have cotton based fabrics.

It takes a while to find a fit for your body shape so stock up with a few pairs to avoid the disappointment for when they change their pattern or discontinue the line. For me I found the Kathmandu Barga pants were the best fit but only bought if on special as I refuse to pay Kathmandu's ridiculous markups and they have now become a scarce item. I have now got a couple of pairs of Gondwana brand pants from Anaconda which seem to have a similar fit and slightly heavier nylon fabric. I always buy a couple of pairs of zip offs so when I travel I can carry two pairs of the shorts with only a single pair of the legs - saves about 100g.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Joynz » Sun 01 Dec, 2019 7:58 am

The Mountain Designs website gives a lot of information including weight.

The Cooloolah model is 407g and the Bellarine version is 325g (size 10) including webbing belt. The Cooloolah has a slightly raised ‘brushed’ feel on the inside and I think the weight is due to the sturdy fabric, zips on 4 pockets, the wider leg to allow roll up, and the spandex.

I already have pair of lightweight nylon pants which only weigh 250g - including a very chunky belt buckle. Bought these two sizes too big because I didn’t want to feel constricted (no stretch). But after 6 years I thought I should get another pair.

I had intended to get the same style, but no one sells this style any more!
Joynz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lamont » Sun 01 Dec, 2019 8:35 am

Mark F wrote:Joynz - They are both Nylon with a bit of Spandex so a very good fabric for durability and drying. Far better of cooler/dampish conditions than the so called "adventure wear" offering of so many manufacturers that have cotton based fabrics.

It takes a while to find a fit for your body shape so stock up with a few pairs to avoid the disappointment for when they change their pattern or discontinue the line. For me I found the Kathmandu Barga pants were the best fit but only bought if on special as I refuse to pay Kathmandu's ridiculous markups and they have now become a scarce item. I have now got a couple of pairs of Gondwana brand pants from Anaconda which seem to have a similar fit and slightly heavier nylon fabric. I always buy a couple of pairs of zip offs so when I travel I can carry two pairs of the shorts with only a single pair of the legs - saves about 100g.

Really high on the Nylon fraction which is good. Just looked up the Bargas Mark https://www.ebay.com.au/c/1840732288 70 spondoolicks seems fair.
I bought a pair of some MD pants when going to Cambodia in the wet season -ultralight (280gms) and dry in a wink -just excellent-will have to see if they return to MDs.
5% Elastane and rest Nylon seems to be the magic mix. Just a wee bit of elastane for stretch.
I always do what Mark recommends-get multiples when they fit! Three pairs of shorts just bought.
Have you had much ongoing success with the zip off models Mark? Always baulk at the last minute thinking they might break down when I need them.
Late edit --in fact the Bargas are almost identical to the excellent ones I bought from MDs!
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby north-north-west » Sun 01 Dec, 2019 11:22 am

Joynz wrote:Found some great Mountain Designs long hiking pants at the Highett Anaconda today!
The two Mountain Designs styles I liked best (Cooloola and Bellarine) both have 6 pockets - and most of them are actually a usable size. They come with webbing belts, roll up legs and a fair amount of stretch in the fabric.
The best thing is that the fit is ‘classic’ not tight! And even better, there’s a gusseted crutch as well as the usual articulated knees.
Oh, and they’re quick dry, moisture wicking and 40/50 upf!

Does the waistband actually sit on the waist? It's hard to tell from the images.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Joynz » Sun 01 Dec, 2019 5:26 pm

They sit below the natural waistline (where the waist indents). About 4 cm I would say. However the back is higher.

I bought both the size 1O and the size 12 (Anaconda has a 28 day return policy). The 10 fits but I will probably keep the 12 as I prefer a looser waist and the longer rise.

Incidentally they are $15 cheaper on the mountain designs website for Alliance members compared to Aconda’s current sale and members get free postage for purchases over $100.
Joynz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Previous

Return to Equipment