Western Arthurs Weather

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Western Arthurs Weather

Postby Angus » Wed 24 Apr, 2019 5:24 pm

I am looking at doing the Western Arthur's late september/early october this year, but have seen that the weather can be especially bad. Has anyone done it at this time of year? If so, whats the temperatures, snow, wind and rain like? Is it worth doing would you usually not get many views at that time of year?

I would be very appreciative of some advice.
Angus
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Western Arthurs Weather

Postby north-north-west » Wed 24 Apr, 2019 6:58 pm

September/October is usually the most unsettled weather of the year. Given that Tassie is renowned for changeable weather and that the Arthurs have their own little microclimate thing going, it's not a place I'd be heading that time of year unless I was feeling particularly masochistic. But look at the bright side - you won't need to worry about carrying a camera.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Azza » Mon 29 Apr, 2019 1:11 pm

Short answer is probably wet and horrible.

I did a trip during October a long time ago, we blasted through A-K in 4 days (not a good idea). Back when I was young and thought how bad could it be?

The forecast wasn't good, however the range sits at about 1000m and the cloud level was rise to just above the range during the day so we got some views.
But its also the windy season and we got blown to bits, with clouds racing over the range from the south west.
Then we had 20cm of snow right before the begaries, we dropped our packs into the tilted chasm, and my pack got a nudge which started into sliding on the ice and it almost tumbled over the cliff at the bottom.
It was also quite hard route finding through the begaries in the snow. Luckily it melts away quickly.

You might be lucky and get a weather window where its fine. But its just total pot luck trying to plan a trip for that time of the year.
If its the only time then its worth having a solid Plan B and being flexible with dates.
Azza
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Thylaseen » Mon 29 Apr, 2019 10:07 pm

Haven't been there during September/ October, but would say the weather in Tassie is 'changeable' at that time of year, and more so in the SW, and at altitude.

We have done a couple of trips to the Eastern/ Western Arthurs in November - weather then was 'changeable'. Both trips ranged every weather variation except snow (there some of on the ground but that doesn't really count!). We had fine weather, cloudy, sleet, hail, thunderstorm, heavy rain, mist, etc.

A couple of notable weather occasions to give you the flavour:

We left High Moor late after a wet and windy night and rain in the morning - a momentary lull lured us on 'it's bound to fine up, etc' Within an hour the drizzle returned and remained with us for the rest of the day. This made for interesting walking over the Beggary Bumps, especially going too far down a steep gully and needing to climb back in wet conditions to find the track. The next day we had a day tent bound in the rain.

Approaching High Moor we were walking through sleet blown us by strong winds - freezing!

On West Portal Andrew was on one of the peaks, I was on the other making a short call home while enjoying the extensive views. By the time the call had finished a front had moved in and visibility reduced to a couple of metres. Ended up separated for a couple of hours until we were able to meet up and edge our way towards Lake Roseanne, arriving just on dark.

Also in the Eastern Arthurs spent a day walking in drizzle and mist with zero visibility - ended up getting separated for the day but worked our way back together just before nightfall.

Other times - fantastic - usually cool and windy but when it's fine, great views from the peaks.

Overall our trips to the area have always been memorable classics with lots of challenges to overcome. Wasn't always fun at the time though!

As per other posters - it would be pot luck that time of year, more likely to get a good dose of SW weather (including wind and snow) than not.
It's out there
Thylaseen
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby tastrax » Tue 30 Apr, 2019 11:04 am

You can also have a look at last years weather from BOM - Scotts Peak is the closest station

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/20181 ... 1810.shtml
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/20180 ... 1809.shtml
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby sloz » Fri 24 May, 2019 10:29 am

If you want views, go in february.
If you want an adventure, go in october.
If you want to suffer, go in September.
sloz
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Mountain Gypsies Association

Return to Tasmania