Modifying something to fit the Tadpole

Bushwalking gear and paraphernalia. Electronic gadget topics (inc. GPS, PLB, chargers) belong in the 'Techno Babble' sub-forum.
Forum rules
TIP: The online Bushwalk Inventory System can help bushwalkers with a variety of bushwalk planning tasks, including: Manage which items they take bushwalking so that they do not forget anything they might need, plan meals for their walks, and automatically compile food/fuel shopping lists (lists of consumables) required to make and cook the meals for each walk. It is particularly useful for planning for groups who share food or other items, but is also useful for individual walkers.

Modifying something to fit the Tadpole

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 21 Apr, 2019 4:53 pm

Again everything in the shops is cut fashion skinny and I need to outfit this 10YO Femme-Fetale in training with some ski clothing. Specifically a LW overparka.
Something with minimal insulation but cut wide in the arm holes and sleeves. Time is in short supply so I just wanted to buy something cheap and if Cecile and I run out of oomph or time to make something, just cut the sleeves off short enough.
I just came back from a quick window shop at Anaconda and Rays/Macpac and while the kids ski gear is cheap and good again this season it is too skinny and too well insulated to work as an overparka for our mild but wet conditions.
So while down is great it won't work for this
If anybody spots something suitable could you please paste a link to it here for me please.
If time beats me I can always make up a lightly insulated poncho with a big hand warmer kangaroo pocket but I was hoping to get something less bulk as it will be carried in my pack
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Modifying something to fit the Tadpole

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 22 Apr, 2019 10:45 am

Alternatively if somebody wants to offload a Patagonia Nano-Puff bivvy top in a Womens Small or Extra Small I would be very interested. Because that particular garment is exactly what I think is needed Patagonia have DFR'd it and it is no longer available and what s around are mens Large sizes
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Eremophila » Tue 23 Apr, 2019 12:55 pm

Aldi snow gear coming up on 18 May - might be worth a look.

Depending on how big Tadpole is, you could possibly look at the women's smaller sizes. Aldi's sizing seems to be getting smaller each year (or is it just me???)

Last year they had women's soft shell jackets and a "premium ski shell jacket" which, while more expensive, looks like it would be very suitable.

Also a couple of second hand Aldi items on Gumtree.
Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 23 Apr, 2019 1:15 pm

I may spend a bit of money and buy something that will work for here for a few seasons
Aldi sale is OK for the downhill stuff but camping in the snow needs just a little more warmth and I was thinking of the womens Premium stuff in the smallest size
Macpac have a few of the really good down jumpers left at $200- and while miles too large now she could grow into it
https://www.macpac.com.au/macpac-arrows ... FI-12.html
That is cheaper than a S/H Nano-Bivvy top on eBay
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 26 Apr, 2019 2:03 pm

https://www.macpac.com.au/equipment/pac ... WS-ST.html

Anybody here with any experience of the kids version ?
My budget is limited but I think something better than the 'Brick with Straps" of the current school rucksack will be needed to allow Widget to carry her minimum kit, especially as the sleeping bag can't be compressed too much and will probably take up 12 litres
I did buy that womens down jumper when the Patagonia bivvy top I was watching went to $110-USD used but it will be too large to do anything in so I am also looking at the Macpac Pulsar in a kids size 12 as her cold weather midlayer. 100GSM Primaloft Silver being what I consider a reasonable amount of warmth if combined with base layers and perhaps a UL fleece top
https://www.macpac.com.au/kids/jackets- ... RI-12.html
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Jayce » Tue 30 Apr, 2019 10:23 am

I bought both the Macpac Torlesse jnr backpack and Pulsar jacket for my 9 y.o. nephew's first overnight bushwalk last year. He happily carried 7kg and was a lot more comfortable than his friends who were using their school packs. It was too warm to wear the Pulsar jacket on that trip but he has carried and worn on xc ski day trips and around Canberra in winter. I can recommend both bits of kit. Thay are well made, reasonably light and a good buy on sale.
Jayce
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 30 Apr, 2019 1:30 pm

Thanx for that feedback Jayce
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 30 Apr, 2019 5:52 pm

Do Fox River rag wool mittens shrink?
ANSCO have a special on but they are too big for tiny hands, but if they shrink it might be worth while doing a DIY Dachstein type mitten
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 11 May, 2019 8:59 am

Well my delivery from Macpac has finally arrived. The kids Pulsar is excellent but no way is the Torlesse Jnr a 30 litre pack, much closer to 18 litres but I think it is the right back size I'll be able to check on Monday
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Equipment