Lightweight shell for Overland Track in August

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Postby Petew » Mon 15 Apr, 2019 2:38 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking for some feedback on a rain jacket for walking in a Tassie winter.

I have a WE 3 layer Isoclime 40 that still works but is bulky and weighs 800g+

I also have a Marmot Precip that's in good condition, around 300g but probably not up to it?

Been trawling the web/shops and have narrowed it down to possibly the following two jackets:

Montbell Storm Cruiser
Macpac Traverse

They have different feature sets and fabrics.

Montbell is goretex c knit, features pit zips and is about 50g lighter

Macpac looks ok, no pit zips and $70 cheaper.

Anyone own/use either of these?

Any other suggestions?

I just need something that will keep me dry in potentially endless rain/snow, around $400 or less and no more than 350g in weight.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Cheers,

Pete
Petew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Re: Lightweight shell for Overland Track in August

Postby slparker » Mon 15 Apr, 2019 3:06 pm

I cannot comment upon those particular jackets but if I had to buy a new shell I would for the OT in winter I would get a jacket with a good hood.
Anything by Rab or Montane would be good, although they tend to be mountaineering focused. Look at trekkinn or ukultralightoutdoorgear for bargains. Brit gear is sized small.
Columbia outdry gets good reviews, is light and can be inexpensive, but IMHO the hood is not the best
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby onward » Mon 15 Apr, 2019 3:24 pm

I have the Montbell Storm Cruiser (love it and I just noticed it's on clearance in the US at least), Marmot Precip and Featherlight Outdry, I also have a range of other rain shells including a MD 3layer Goretex at 700gms!. Wouldn't hesitate to take the Montbell (used on the AAWT and in Scotland) or Outdry (used since!). The purpose of a rain shell is to keep the rain off you...other layers for other reasons!
Cheers
onward
onward
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Petew » Mon 15 Apr, 2019 3:37 pm

Thanks for the info. So you've been happy with the storm cruiser? Ok in filthy weather for a whole day? Pit zips/zips keep the water out?

Cheers,

Pete
Petew

Postby enlightened0ne » Tue 16 Apr, 2019 12:35 pm

The featherlite outdry or any of the other goretex shakedry jackets all run 100-200g and will not wet out. You’ll probably get your base and mid layers pretty wet from your sweat regardless, but there are nice dry huts every night so it’s easy to dry off. I did the track in March a couple of years ago and it rained every day plus we were snowed in due to a prolonged blizzard and not allowed to hike for 2 days (luckily stuck at Pelion rather than one of the small ones).
enlightened0ne
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Northern Territory

Postby onward » Tue 16 Apr, 2019 1:11 pm

Very happy with the Storm Cruiser, a great compromise between durability and weight and I did buy it on special from Montbell Sydney about 3 years ago. It has been on during many multiday alpine rain events and a week of rain on the coast of the UK! Hood is ok but I use a 'truckers' hat with it because I wear glasses and that keeps the rain off much better. Waterproof zip and the storm flap behind that works fine, in as I have never noticed getting wet from the outside. Pit zips are huge and I mostly have the top half open unless it's really cold. The external pockets sit above the pack waist belt and that's handy. I think it's a 40D face fabric and that seems fine when pushing through scrub. Like all other rain shells I have other than the OutDry and a sinylon poncho it does eventually wet out, but its DWR seem better than my other rain jackets. I did notice the Montbell US store has them on closeout sale at the moment.
onward
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Petew » Tue 16 Apr, 2019 2:54 pm

Thanks for the advice. I too wear a cap with a rain jacket, works well.
Petew

Postby wildwanderer » Tue 16 Apr, 2019 3:09 pm

a hat works for about 30 mins to an hour of rain but if the rain is constant and all day then the hat will become saturated and depending on temperature, wind and your exertion level you could become very cold. Especially if the trucker hat is cotton.

A hood is a good idea.

baselayers becoming saturated from sweat is very common, in non alpine areas the "breathable" membranes cant keep up no matter what the marketing tells you. If moving quickly and the temp is above 10C I often dont wear anything under the rain jacket. :shock:

When I stop a nice dry fleece or in warmer weather a baselayer is put on to maintain body temprature. I find im alot warmer and dryer with this approach.

pit zips are awesome.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Tue 16 Apr, 2019 9:28 pm

If your proper jacket is really too heavy, take your Marmot and add a rain kilt/garbage bag kilt.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Petew » Sat 20 Apr, 2019 11:45 am

Just bought the storm cruiser. $320 seemed too good to pass up.

Thanks for the input everyone.
Petew

Postby RonK » Sat 20 Apr, 2019 12:11 pm

I've used a Marmot Precip at altitude in the Himalaya. It coped well with far worse conditions than are likely to be encountered in Tasmania.
RonK

Region: Queensland

Return to Ultralight backpacking