Bogong High Plains Hiking and Bike Riding

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Bogong High Plains Hiking and Bike Riding

Postby Watertank » Wed 17 Apr, 2019 5:37 pm

I am thinking of doing some combined bike riding and hiking on the Bogong High Plains - I know from Parks that bike riding on walking tracks is forbidden (which I agree with) but the website says biking is permitted on all management vehicle only roads except for the Spion Kopje Track - can anyone point me in the direction of maps that will clearly show which roads are MVO roads? for example is the track/road from Pretty Valley out towards the Tawonga Huts a MVO road?
Watertank
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Bogong High Plains Hiking and Bike Riding

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 17 Apr, 2019 8:13 pm

You could ride /push a MTB up to the Fainters from Bogong Village and over to Tawonga huts. From there you can go to Pretty valley , over the Falls Creek summit to the Dam Wall and out to Roper's hut and then down Timm's spur/ Big River Fire trail back to Bogong Village thus completing a MTB loop over the BHP. My friend and I met somebody who was doing this at Roper's hut in Jan. 2019.
Last edited by paidal_chalne_vala on Thu 18 Apr, 2019 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby Xplora » Thu 18 Apr, 2019 7:54 am

Watertank wrote:I am thinking of doing some combined bike riding and hiking on the Bogong High Plains - I know from Parks that bike riding on walking tracks is forbidden (which I agree with) but the website says biking is permitted on all management vehicle only roads except for the Spion Kopje Track - can anyone point me in the direction of maps that will clearly show which roads are MVO roads? for example is the track/road from Pretty Valley out towards the Tawonga Huts a MVO road?

I see your dilemma. Having trouble finding online maps for you as well. I thought there may have been some maps in the Greater Alpine NP management plan but I can't locate my copy to check. You could search there. If it is helpful I can list the MVO's and if I miss some then others may assist. Essentially any gated road and not single track is an MVO and you can ride on it.

Big River fire trail from Watchbed Crk to Mt. Beauty with some side trips. You should be able to ride to Ropers hut off this as well as Fitzgeralds/Kellys via Marm (Marrum) pt and the aqueduct but not the single track which would be a pain anyway as your pedals would hit the sides of the walking 'rut' track.
All aqueduct roads.
Pretty Valley to Tawonga huts and beyond but it is not what I call a nice ride. Road is very rocky in places.
Mt. McKay (in resort)
Fainters fire trail.
Kellys track and the Lanes from Fitzgeralds Road.

Hope this helps.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Watertank » Thu 18 Apr, 2019 10:48 pm

Thanks for both replies, much appreciated- that’s very helpful; I will report back after Easter.
Watertank
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Victoria